1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Craft Haters

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Qwest_35, Feb 11, 2013.

1. I think some (not all) BMC drinkers see craft beer as a topic they have relatively little expertise in and thus find the idea of getting into a debate about it unappealing. They don't want their own inexperience highlighted and they don't want their preferred beverages to be insulted. Much like many craft beer drinkers incorporate beer into their own identity, I assume BMC drinkers do as well. It's a threat, basically. If I define myself partially by the BMC I drink, I don't find the idea of comparing that drink to other beers I am ignorant of appealing. Especially if I've been told time and time again that what I'm drinking is "piss" or "swill" or what have you by people who identify with craft beer.

I think that's another big reason for the nuclear reaction to craft beer. Craft beer people are mean to BMC people sometimes. If you've been insulted for drinking Bud Light by "some snobby bearded hipster sipping out of a snifter" before, it's easy to get defensive. That "easy-going bearded hipster who just wants to share his latest IPA find" may get the response intended for every snob the BMC drinker has met.

Best case scenario is for everyone to play nice and stop sneering at people.
    BMitch likes this.
  2. I think we should stop trying to covert people. The price of good beer has doubled over the last 10 years due in large part to the increased demand
    tcanaday likes this.
  3. I don't try to convert anyone. But by the same token, don't come to my house and expect to find BMC, because you never will. If you want a beer at my house, it's going to be craft. I've "converted" more than a few people without trying just by offering something better than they're used to.
  4. I assume you run a store? Do you notice negative foreign attitudes toward beer? I have English relatives who feel the same as the customer you describe, and a friend hosted a German couple who only drank European beer with the same attitude. I know the US lost all credibility with and after the prohibition, but I didn't think there was still so much animosity toward US brewers. As craft grows and becomes the beer of choice I think these anti-US attitudes will dissipate
  5. Well at least he didn't buy Corona ot Stella!
  6. nah I'm just an employee. Thats an interesting theory though. But I've also heard stories about how people in Europe not only drink, but enjoy Bud. My friend from Norway was telling me how Corona is considered high end in her country, and costs 8 dollars per bottle. She also said Norwegian beer sucks
  7. It depends on where you are I guess, some countries have a long history and/or a good craft movement, but others like the Netherlands and trying to regain their craft love. I have a Serbian friend who lives in the Netherlands and says their attitude toward beer is like that of your Norwegian friend. So it seems like a country to country basis over there.
  8. yeah but then we'd miss out on tons of potential brewers. the only way to solve that problem is for there to be more great beer being made.
  9. I say we smuggle a couple palates of Corona into Norway and make a fortune.
  10. Nothing wrong at all if you can take no for an answer.
    teal and JulianB like this.
  11. I love all the goofy ass stares I get from people simply because I pour a beer into a footed glass. I purposely try to not make it a big deal even though they'll be sitting there thumping their chests and making gay innuendos with their mind. Oh well, some people just can't help themselves. What are you gonna do.
  12. godlessape

godlessape Savant (300) Georgia Dec 12, 2010

I explain Craft beer to them like this: Think of beer the same way you think of beef. There's a lot of different ways to consume beef. We all like hamburgers, but we don't JUST eat hamburgers. We eat rib eye's T-bones shish kabobs, French Dip, prime rib, so on and so forth. Bud, Miller and other standard lagers are hamburgers. Hamburgers are good, but why would someone just eat hamburgers and not all the other beef products that are better then good. If they don't get that argument then it's they're problem.
    mklisz likes this.
  13. cornontherob

cornontherob Zealot (90) New York Oct 15, 2011

Why do some people (myself included) prefer a nice bacon cheese burger over a dry age steak?
  14. For the same reason that many people would rather drive a Subaru than a Porsche! (btw you can put bacon and cheese on a dry aged steak)
  15. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (530) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Think you nailed it there - I don't think there is any difference. I think the "harm" comes when people don't know when to stop. Seems to me there is a fine line between advocacy and being overbearing. I mean, I offer stuff to non-craft drinkers all the time. They want to try it fine, they don't fine. I don't spend an hour arguing the merits of "my" beer vs. "their" beer. They try it and like it, maybe we have the basis for a conversation but not a two hour reading of the gospel according to Founders. That's what forums are for ;)
  16. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

whatever. I'm a beerphile and a foodie. One thing I can tell you, you cannnot make someone like something that doesn't suit their palate. you also cannot overcome their food/drink prejudices. Can't make a person like snails who initially says "ewww!" and runs away.

I consider ethiopean, indian, thai, iranian food to be amazing... same as escargot, sweetbreads, exotic cheeses..... and stouts. Oh how I love stouts.
    If someone doesn't partake, there's just more for me :p
  17. cornontherob

cornontherob Zealot (90) New York Oct 15, 2011

exactly.
    putting bacon and cheese on a dry age steak is like putting salt and a lime on the rim of a fresh Lagunitas sucks
  18. Highbrow

Highbrow Savant (475) California Jan 7, 2011

leave em' be.
  19. I converted someone with Ten FIDY, no shit. He asked what the hell are you drinking as I poured the oily nectar in a glass, and I said "real beer." One sip and he loved it.
    CWinchell likes this.
  20. Qwest_35

Qwest_35 Savant (265) Florida Feb 4, 2013

I think its funny how people have taken the word "convert" and somehow miss interpreted this into meaning that somebody is badgering or forcing that individual to like what you like. So I guess convert is a bad choice of words, it's more like "introduce" people who already enjoy many different beers, to the world of.... yes sorry, I have to call it what it is "craft beer" The people on here that see it that way, and that think it's a bad thing, probably just don't want more people in the scene buying up all their beer. We in fact should want to clue in those who we know and care about to the idea that there are better and more extensive choices out there in the world. It's good for the breweries as well, more customers means they can stay in business and hopefully start to take more of the market share.
    CWinchell and brewsader like this.
  21. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

Because so often for BMC folks - that's exactly how it goes down.
  22. Qwest_35

Well speaking for myself, I have never pushed my beer on anybody, only shared with friends and family who have shown interest into what I was drinking. Of course people will respond negatively when pestered or nagged into something they have no interest in to begin with, that's common sense. I started this thread to see if other people have encountered negativity bestowed upon them for being a craft drinker. It seems i have angered a few people on this site who think that I'm that guy at the party ripping on the BMC guys beers and preaching the gospel of Pliny. I "couldn't" care less about forcing my beer tastes on total strangers at a bar.
  23. Qwest_35

Epic! It was Coral Sky, Palm Beach 11-2-96
  24. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (530) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Right. But there are people who do, in fact, badger, proselytize, preach, whatever you want to call it. Offering people craft as an alternative is one thing - that is a reasonable approach - they refuse leave them alone. If they call me a beer snob or craft beer *kitty* fine so be it. There are people that are overzealous in their approach and turn people off. And that is on both sides of the fence. We have all seen them. I've seen them in stores, at a couple tastings, bars, etc. I don't want to listen to them and I have seen the light. Why would those still in the dark or even mildly curious about craft want to listen? People express interest, point them in a direction. People with no interest, leave them be.

Yes. We want more drinkers to support all these breweries and move volume so we have fresh beer on shelves. There is a spectrum from those who will never drink drop one of craft to those who get ulcers walking within a hundred yards of a Coors sign and everything in between. There is a line between being an advocate and going overboard and turning people who might be in that middle ground off completely. It is in the attitude, I think, and sometimes I feel "we" can be our own worst enemies by pushing too hard and confirming that beer snobs exist. That is just my opinion.
  25. mylar

mylar Aficionado (180) Pennsylvania Dec 13, 2011

Alcoholism
    Qwest_35 likes this.
  26. Qwest_35

Bingo!!!! You might have just nailed it.....
  27. I think the OP was talking about non-craft drinkers being negative toward craft beer, not the other way around. I posted earlier that one long time friend of mine gives me constant unprovoked shit about my beer (we are compatible about most other topics). I never bring it up, I simply drink it when we're hanging out. I think that's more what the OP was going on about. Personally, I don't give a shit what anyone drinks. Hell, I used to drink tons of BMC.
    Ernest_Hooper and Qwest_35 like this.
  28. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Savant (400) Texas Dec 24, 2012

It is "craft beer" though... "Craft" brewers truly take the time to create their beer. They put their time and energy into making wonderful beer, and it's their own crafted beer... craft craft craft craft...... LOL. I'm just saying that it's something to be proud of, not embarrassed by
  29. You appear to have wisely been staying away from the television set. If advertising has taught me anything, it's that the BMC is a standard of heterosexuality. Oh, and also that its cold, really really cold.
    spartanfan likes this.
  30. Forcibly funnel craft beer down their throats while sobbing and muttering "look at what you made me do".
    regularjohn, Sokool and Qwest_35 like this.
  31. jgluck

jgluck Aficionado (210) California Apr 19, 2012

It seems that choices in consumption (what you drink, eat, buy - or choose to not buy) can become part of your self-identity. I view my beer preferences as extensions of my personality and even my world-view. At the same time, I try to maintain my own individual identity and not fall into a "my group" versus "not my group" mentality.

I also find psychology interesting

http://www.simplypsychology.org/social-identity-theory.html
    brewsader likes this.
  32. I agree completely.
  33. The evangelicalism of craft beer is upon us! Spread the good word and slash beards as needed.
  34. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

I agree totally. At my house, everything is either craft beer, exotic booze, organic food, or some odd gourmet munchie. Can't tell you how many people I've turned on to new cuisines or foods, and good beers merely by exposure and environment.
    If they don't want to try, totally fine. No criticism, persuasive argument, or judgement. Just let people do what they want.... Besides, craft beers are so good, they basically sell themselves.
  35. Clearly. As evidenced by their having brewed Bourbon County Stout this year. Boy, do they hate all that craft beer stands for...
    Franch likes this.
  36. As a 21 year old college kid, the vast majority of the beer drinkers that I know are BMC drinkers. However, I've never really run into any craft hate from them. One night a few of them got Bud Light Platinum at a tiny convenience store that had a very limited selection, so I asked if we could run into a beer store down the road and one of them joked "Ohh, he's gotta get his special stuff." from the back of the car. There was another instance in which I was at Kroger and I picked up a sixer of Great Lakes Christmas Ale and another friend was with me and said "Well look at you, aren't you a beer connoisseur?" But other than that, I haven't met any craft hate. Honestly, I think a lot of craft hate comes from: A.) People that aren't really that big of beer fans in the first place being introduced to something way different than what they're used to. or B.) People having "Oh you've got to have this, it's so much better than the crap you usually drink." attitudes. All of my friends that honestly love beer always say "Sure, I'll try it!" when I tell them that I've got a new beer that I think they might like.

At the end of the day it's beer. Hate and beer are two words that should never be in the same sentence. It's for enjoyment. Unless you notice your fridge is empty and you scream "I hate when I run out of beer!"
    CWinchell likes this.
  37. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

I think this is true for craft as well though. Could you imagine what a blind taste test would do to some of the claims people make on this site.
    YogiBeer and kdb150 like this.
  38. Geno78

Geno78 Aficionado (215) Ohio Apr 1, 2010

I bet they grew sick beards though, right?
    YogiBeer, jgluck and brewsader like this.
  39. I honestly don't understand why anyone would want to be considered a snob pertaining to anything. Beer snobs, wine snobs, food snobs, the last thing I would ever consider myself or want someone to think of me being is a snob.

That said, I do see craft hate from the BMC crowd, but I also see lots of BMC hate from the craft crowd. I just believe in beer. I drink beer. We all drink beer. Why does it matter what kind of beer we drink? Yes I love craft beer. No I am not a fan of AAL's, but I've been known to drink 'em amongst good friends at bbq's or at dive bars that serve zero craft. To me, this beer thing is way more about the people and relationships than it is about the beer.

I have even seen my fair share of hatred that beer snobs express toward beer geeks who do not agree with their extremist views. I personally think it is all really getting out of hand. I mean, can't we just drop the self-imposed titles? Why are we calling ourselves beer geeks? or beer snobs? Why can't craft beer and BMC just be beer?

I love this site, I read it every day. And I used to participate on here a lot, but lately I find myself disagreeing with a lot of the things I read on here. Can't we all just agree that beer is beer and people are human and we should all just be happy to share the lowest common denominator?
    YogiBeer, jgluck, Norica and 3 others like this.
  40. BMitch

BMitch Aficionado (235) Virginia Jul 10, 2012

This is probably the worst, and something that doesn't seem to come up enough on here. I remember one guy snubbing his nose when I said I thought Ten FIDY was pretty good, as it apparently wasn't as up to par as the super rare limited-edition barrel aged whatever that he had the other day. Ummmm, good for you?

Being an elitist in any walk of life is a major douchebag quality.