1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Craft Haters

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Qwest_35, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

I have a friend that refuses to even TRY drinking anything. He drinks Bud Light and Southern Comfort (not mixed together, obviously) and that's it. It's frustrating as fuck. His question about every beer is "IS IT BITTER!?" and that's it. God forbid he focus on the flavor and not the bitterness.

I feel like he'd find a teaspoon of sugar to be too bitter.
  2. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

It's because his daddy left, his mommy didn't love him, he has a tiny prick, he's ugly, he never gets laid, etc. One or more of those things.
    BMitch likes this.
  3. If only people felt the same way about God... Plenty of good Jesus/Muhammad/Moses/Et cetera for me...
    Did they also grow excessive amounts of facial hair?
  4. Well since big bastards like inbev have so much power, we are constantly supporting the underdog. So..converting people is actually important to our purpose, drinking, enjoying, and enabling craft brewing to survive.
  5. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

I can't recall the last time I've encountered a beer snob in the real world. Maybe they aren't common in the midwest?
    Mitchell57 and YogiBeer like this.
  6. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

Not everyone likes lots of ingredients on their pizzas either. I don't see the problem with people not liking things.
  7. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

I don't think anybody denies this fact. Like anything else, new blood ensures survival. We have this website to discuss the finer points of beer and the industry and that is great for those who have made the leap. But there are bona fide snobs out there with ridiculous attitudes that turn people off - I think that is a fact based on personal observation. There are hard-core BMC drinkers that are never coming to the fold. But there's probably a considerable number of people (more) who are siting on the fence - to craft, or not to craft, so to speak. These undecideds are the ones who can be trained in the ways of the force. The ones who only buy from the big guys because that is all they know but have open minds toward new experiences. Hitting them over the head with a sledgehammer (i.e. being exposed to a genuine snob) isn't an effective approach and may send some of them scurrying back to the dark side.
  8. again, why do people assume that trying to introduce someone to craft beer implies pestering someone to the point where they're turned off? do people actually do this? is it common enough that this is what we assume when someone mentions "converting" people? i've never seen it done even close to such an extent, so i'm just asking if i'm in the minority here.
  9. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

I don't know that it's considered hate, but I have a few College age friends that, when offered a beer, turn it down because they "hate beer". I usually frown at them and say "Yeah, I understand. I hate Mexican food, and I've tried basically everything at Taco Bell."
    seakayak likes this.
  10. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Well, the usual disclaimers apply (don't speak for everybody, in my opinion, YMMV, etc) and maybe it is largely semantics. I only brought it up because I have actually seen people being a-holes about beer in a few different settings. I don't think it is anywhere approaching the majority and I don't think it is the true aficionados. Think it is the type that jumps on the nearest bandwagon and becomes a self-proclaimed expert/evangelist/savior.

The term beer snob with associated implications has come from somewhere. It gets thrown around here, but I take that as at least half-joking within the community. It might not be someone forcing their opinion or pushing somebody to "convert". It might just be snarky comments at the bottleshop checkout or at the bar. Worst personal experience was at a tasting event, store hosted & presented by distributor, where some random guy held personal court and was just obnoxious bordering rude. I think the only reason there wasn't a STFU beatdown administered was the "nice" nature of the event. I was fine with thinking OK, this person just likes to hear himself talk. Others may have thought "damn...is this what craft beer drinkers turn into".

Oh - final disclaimer...not taking your question personally either, just 'splainin' :)
    brewsader and JoeBloe like this.
  11. I, like others, make it a point to offer a craft beer to the uninitiated and if they refuse, so be it, I tried. What I don't understand is people who truly believe Bud Light is the quintessential American beer even after you tell them it's now owned by a foreign corporation and the history of lagers. It's a damn shame people don't know their beer history, i.e. that lagers were imported into this country mid 19th century and ales were the first American beer but I guess this goes along with people not really knowing or paying any attention to any history at all.
  12. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

I'm curious, do the people who say they don't serve craft beer to BMC drinkers at their house attempt to find a suitable craft alternative that their guests will like, or try to give them craft beer they drink themselves, whether or not the guests will like it? Because I did the latter once and realized I was being a terrible host. Frankly, it's kind of a dick move not to serve beer your guests like because it's not craft.
    CORKSCREWFISH likes this.
  13. BeerLover99

BeerLover99 Advocate (735) Illinois Dec 13, 2008

I have converted my family and friends, but it was gradual and on their own terms.
    Offering a taste from various bombers/various styles at parties made more people curious.
    Now people are always wondering I am going to bring to try to family get togethers.
    BMitch likes this.
  14. JoeBloe

JoeBloe Savant (370) New York Nov 16, 2007

I have a buddy that enjoys Coors light (bottle only) and another that only drinks Bud light - I make sure I have some on hand when they're around (and they usually bring their own, as well) and everything's kool and the gang- Conversely when I go to their houses, they'll try to have something for me, and their choices have been interesting ("here's the weirdest beer I could find, 'cause we know you like that stuff")
  15. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

Are you saying we should stock beer we don't drink just in case random friends stop by?
  16. I don't know too many people anymore who "hate" craft beer. I do know a lot of people who will drink an amber every once in a while and that's about all they care to wade into craft beer. There's no justification to insult other people's preferences any more than there is justification for them to insult your preference for craft beer.
  17. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (465) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

I thought I hated all things InBev and then I tried Leffe Brune. Damn you Leffe Brune! You are a deliciously affordable Belgian abbey ale. I guess it is the exception to the rule.
  18. They own a lambic brewery, too (Belle-Vue).
  19. I think another big disconnect is the perceptions surrounding the words "convert," "snob," and the like.

What a craft beer drinker considers appropriate and normal here probably deviates significantly from what the BMC drinker considers appropriate. People in this topic talk about how their craft beer is inherently better than the BMC drinker's beer. If only the BMC drinker knew more about beer, he/she would certainly understand this. Now, while I hope none of us would particularly disagree with this statement, when that sort of thing works into the conversation it may be perceived as snobby or hostile on the BMC drinker's end.

"Hey try this - it's way better than that BMC stuff." may appear innocently harmless on our side but comes across as presumptuous and elitist on theirs. The idea of "educating" on our side may be perceived as doing a service while hints of a person "educating" may be seen as rude on the other end.

What I'm driving at is that it doesn't take a snob caricature to turn off a BMC drinker. If the person gets even the barest whiff of condescension, presumption, etc. I can see why they get defensive. Doesn't mean they're right to, but they get offended just the same.
    CORKSCREWFISH likes this.
  20. kdb150

Just in case? No, but if you invite friends over who are beer drinkers you're a bad host if you don't have beer to offer them that they like, and downright obnoxious if you try to make them drink beer they don't like.

Not everyone likes craft. Hell, the head brewer of Orval is on record as liking Budweiser. I don't think it is somehow beneath us craft beer drinkers to offer people beer that they like, even if we don't like it ourselves.
  21. sdpaul

sdpaul Savant (285) California May 2, 2012

People just need to stop hating on beer everyone's taste various..More awesome beer for me!
  22. modern

modern Aficionado (210) Ohio May 31, 2012

Do any of you folks smoke cigars? Or remember 1994 when cigar smoking became the hip new thing? Tons of new cigar shops springing up, every manufacturer hustling to get their best product out the door. Years later, the hype died down the best shops and mfgs remain to service the new, larger market.

There is no need to convert people to craft beer. Better tasting beer will do it. I agree it is frustrating when people are small minded, but it only hurts them in the long run.

We should just keep drinking what we like, sharing things with people who like trying new things. Make new friends, have new experiences.
    frazbri likes this.
  23. Jadjunk

Jadjunk Savant (345) Georgia Dec 6, 2009

Let's not convert too many more people to the craft beer paradise... Hopslam and KBS are a bitch to get already, how much more chaos would ensue if everybody was in on it? If Joe Smith likes his Coors Light, I'd say leave him to enjoy it... by himself.
  24. Reading through the first several posts, that sums it up, I can't add anything more. Just ditch the word "snob", even to fellow seasoned people it's a turn-off. Be enthusiastic, educate when appropriate, and don't alienate people because of their beer preferences.
  25. Dear brother you are not the only in this situation. Im 26 years old and i been drinking craft 2 years ago and im still struggling to push it to my friends.. they don't understand what they are missing.. But "fucket Dominican way of fuck it" more for me.. cheers!!!
  26. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Every person not converted is one less person in front of me on line. I used to wish more folks didn't start liking Grateful Dead. Then Phish. Same reason.
    oneeye and jzeilinger like this.
  27. just stating facts
    ..I don't like it either
  28. Are you a mind reader?
  29. Are they drinking for taste or effect? Can't convert people who are in for the effect, I've found. Easy way to convert is to use a Growler at a Holiday Meal or Party, pick a brew that's not too far away from what they are use to drinking. It's like getting in the shallow end of the pool. Goose Island Honker's Ale is what I use in a new crowd.
  30. I don't hate the game, just the playas.
    seakayak likes this.
  31. I have no super powers but I can read emotions when its written all over someone's face. How do you know when someone finds something funny? Well when they laugh, that's a dead giveaway. How do you know when someone is angry? Well their face may turn flush, brow scrunches together..etc, etc.
    How can you tell when someone is questioning your manliness in the case of pouring a beer? First they stare at you, then the glass, then back to your face, then they crack a smile and have shifty eyes, then back to the glass...then they stare at the glass as it moves to your mouth. Then they look around the room to see if anyone else is witness to such strange behavior..then back to the glass.. then a shit-eating grin appears. And there you have it. Not to terribly hard to know what they are thinking.
  32. No, I see plenty that are in-between love or have. In fact, I'd say most people are indifferent. This is how I find it mostly goes:

*I hand them a nice craft beer* "So, what do you think?"
    *They take a sip* *They shrug* "I think it tastes like beer."
  33. heeey now, that's a bit uncalled for. Anyways..
  34. "Craft haters" isn't really a thing. Most people just don't give a shit, and aren't interested in your effeminate beer.
    seakayak likes this.
  35. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (525) California Oct 29, 2008

At some point, it has to be on you to want to try new things or enjoy them. It is not the responsibility of others to continually force people try new things. Let's not forget that the majority of people have bad taste in food, movies, (music is too for the most part subjective IMO), books, wine...I do not understand why beer geeks think this pattern would not hold true for beer. Most people do not like full-flavored beers.

Whether or not there's such a thing as "craft hate" doesn't matter. There's no point in getting bent out of shape by closed-mindedness of others when it comes to beer.

Edit: you said it yourself - if you're not "letting people like what they like" you must be "forcing" something they most likely won't like on them, right?
  36. The only time I have have an "issue" with people drinking BMC products is when im at a brew pub, or a gastro pub or somewhere that is more geared towards craft beer. And even then I dont really care, but part of me wonders why go there if they're not going to try something that they are known for.
  37. Tut

Tut Savant (390) New York Sep 23, 2004

Loving craft beer doesn't make one a snob! I'm tired of that term being overused.
  38. kdb150

Maybe their friends were going there and they wanted to hang out. Maybe they like the food.
  39. Finn18

Finn18 Aspirant (45) Georgia Oct 24, 2012

Economics 101: $20 will buy you a bomber of a fancy Belgian, or a 30-pack of Bud. 15:1 in terms of how much beer you have. If you enjoy every sip of the Belgian 16 times as much as every sip of Bud, the Belgian is the better deal. But, if drinking a Bud is 1/14th as enjoyable as drinking a Belgian, Bud is your better choice. That is how my father sees it, and he buys both craft (as dessert) and macro (pool/BBQ beer). Hell, sometimes I will even pick up a 99 cent tallboy of Genesee from the corner gas station if I just want something simple and refreshing.

It's a two-sided sword: Beer snobbery and refusing to like BMC brands is like the "Music lover" who refuses to listen to anything that plays on the radio. But, BMC brands use their muscle to try to crush craft beer and force it off the shelves; and superbowl ads remind me uncomfortably of an 18th-century Chinese shopkeep peddling powdered rhino horn as an aphrodesiac. I am indifferent to the products, but I hate the companies and their effect on the public's perception of what "beer" is and should be.

So you want to show someone what craft beer is? Don't hand them an imperial stout or IPA. Hand them a Fat Tire or a Sam Adams or a weizen or a blonde ale. If they don't like it, leave it be. Much like many other things, beer is an acquired taste, and you don't get in to "acquired taste" food unless you really want to. And there are limits: I taught myself to enjoy vinegar as a flavor supplement to salad for a fraction of the calories of regular dressing. I bought a 1L bottle of aged Balsamic vinegar for $10, and enjoyed it much more than the $5 brands. Then I walked into a craft vinegar store (yes, those exist) out of curiosity, and walked out laughing at the $80 375ml bottle of raspberry-infused vinegar aged for 25 years in sherry casks. It simply wasn't that important to me, but I'm sure that somewhere on the internet there is a VinegarAdvocate where vinegar lovers rave about how amazing their quarter-century old vinegar is. They live and breathe vinegar; I put it on salads.

Sadly, since I'm a younger beer drinker, nearly all of my friends are stuck in the novelty/party mindset when it comes to drinking, and either think that anything under 40% alcohol is for pansies, or that Four Loko is the crowning achievement of humanity.
    jgluck likes this.
  40. You have an extremely valid point, and those are things that I have already though of. Which is why Its not a real issue, and I only give it half a second of thought. Its more a curiosity than anything. I wonder what they think, if theres an internal struggle in their mind, or if they make the decision without batting an eyelash.