1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Craft Haters

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Qwest_35, Feb 11, 2013.

1. They don't hate craft. They hate you.

This thread makes me want to pound an Icehouse.

teal and HipsterBrewfus like this.
  2. Personally I don't care if people want to drink the big macros. People's tastes are different. What annoys me is when some of those folks say, "all beer is the same". I think we can safely say that that statement is flat out false, mostly attributed by those folks only tasting a tiny miniscule cross-section of the world's incredibly expansive selection of beer and beer styles.

It also kind of annoys me when these same folks believe that BMC beer is the be-all end-all of beer. While I don't mean to insult their tastes, I tend to believe that these brands use cheaper filler, and are more concerned with mass production rather than quality. Consistency? Of course. But I don't believe they have enough emphasis on making the best product. Again, this is delving more into my personal bias entering into the equation.

So long as these folks respect my need to drink something different, I'm alright with them drinking whatever they please. But I'll start to get pissed again in the tap line-up in the bars start to go back to ALL Bud Light,Coors Light, Miller Light, Natty Ice Light. I'm not asking for the line-up to be all stouts and porters, but just one would be nice.

3. The best way to deal with it is by - who cares!-

If the wanna drink bud or coors all the time, who cares!
    Maybe they don't like beer. Some people just want to get drunk, for cheap, without the burn of cheap vodka.

BMitch likes this.
  4. do we really need to host a discussion here on manners? obviously if someone says no when you ask them if they want to try something, you shouldnt be an asshole about it. but i think in many if not most cases, bad taste comes more from lack of exposure than informed preference of inferior products, and if i know my friend has certain tastes, i can't understand why he or she would turn something down that falls in line with that taste. if i know my friend loves coffee, i'm not going to keep insisting that (s)he drink a gueze and like it, i'm going to politely ask if (s)he would like to try something like fbs, and the answer will likely be yes because i'm not randomly picking a beer that some abstract body of people deem to be "really good." i'm picking something that i know will interest this person and that they'd be more likely to be enthusiastic about.

5. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

A random thought that pops into my head whenever I consider this topic is that it probably represents the absolute pinnacle of achievement in the brewing arts that AB is able to make the exact same beer with no flaws or off-flavors, any which would be instantly perceptible given the flavor profile of a Bud or Bud Light, at 5 or 6 different plants across the country and have it come out tasting exactly the same every single time. It's almost as impressive as the fact that there are people who are so skilled at tasting whiskey that they can blend many different barrels and nail Jack Daniels, or Jim Beam, every single time.

6. The next time your in place that serves both, watch the poepole who drink BMC. You will find that they enjoy their beer at least as much as craft beer drinkers. Not sure why, but it might be because the craft drinkers are upset about the lack of DIPA's and RIS's on the tap list.

teal likes this.
  7. modern

modern Aficionado (210) Ohio May 31, 2012

But you HAVE listened to the goddamn radio, right? ;)

8. HjaltiB

HjaltiB Zealot (80) Iceland Feb 18, 2013

In my experience this has less to do with weather the person likes the taste of a particular beer and more with how it conforms with his/her idea of how a beer "should" taste like. Case in point: One friend of mine is a big Whiskey drinker, smoked single malt stuff, and is big on black coffee as well. But he refuses to drink stouts or any "dark" beer and doesn't even recognize the similarities in taste.

It's also about what you expect beer to be in your normal surroundings. Another friend of mine is a bit of a connoisseur in terms of food and drink. He has been to Belgium, where he had some real beer, and thinks Belgian beer is the best. He has tasted some local craft beer and claims to like it but the only stuff he buys on a regular basis are Euro lagers (often Hollandia or Stella Artois which apparently he thinks qualifies as "Belgian") and when we go to bars he doesn't care weather they actually have real beers or not.

9. this reminds me of an old saying, " fidy told me go ahead and switch da style up, and if dey hate, den let dem hate, and watch da money pile up"

10. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Wise words, sir. That was Confucious, Yes?

11. Most people that i know that hate craft beer also hate gourmet foods as well. Most BMC drinkers are simple meat and potatoe eaters, they will have nothing else.

12. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Initiate (0) Michigan Feb 16, 2013

Well to be fair to them maybe they didn't like the style of craft beer you gave them some people love stouts but hate IPAs and the opposite can be true too.

13. Well I don't know about everyone else on here, but I think it's polite to offer something that BMC drinkers will enjoy. For example, I'm throwing a party this Saturday. My fridge is filled with DFH and Samuel Adams. Now, I know a lot of the people coming won't like it (and I'm not too eager to share my stuff with an entire party) so I'm probably going to get a case of some size of BMC beer in case my friends don't bring stuff.

Another alternative is just to tell people that it is a BYOB party, which I think works out better, it's just tough to depend on because some people might not get the message and then they're just sitting there.

14. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

If your tradition is an Old Style and a Cubs game, I'm not going to be able to convince you otherwise, just because I have superior alternatives to both.

I don't know anyone who is against craft beer. I know folks who enjoy stuff like Bud, and don't like hops... if someone's having a good time and sees no reason to look further, they're not wrong.

It gets to a point where what I want on my cheeseburger is bacon and cheddar... not foie gras, stinky cheese and some kind of glazed mushroom balsamic reduction. Or like pizza... I had some bay area friends try to show me the "best Chicago style pizza you can ever get" out there. It had avocado and I hula dancers and pineapple and surf board on it. Come on. Let people like what they like.