Craft Staples

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MCDub, Feb 27, 2013.

1. MCDub

MCDub Savant (320) North Carolina Dec 17, 2009

I've been a craft beer drinker about 6 years now. I've probably had about 1000 or so different beers. Early on it was a lot of the same stuff: the Highlands lineup, SNPA, etc. but about 4 years ago I really started trying anything I could get my hands on. What seems to happen, however, is that every time I go to my local bottle shop I'm buying basically stocking up and buying any limited release and/or sought after seasonals and completely neglect the stuff thats always there. What are some good craft staples that are easily accessible (other than Highland, SN, and Founders) that I need to try that I always look over. Right now I'm missing out on those. I also need to work on hunting down whales.....

2. MCDub

For the record, I'm in NC

3. gwdavis

gwdavis Aficionado (190) Georgia Feb 8, 2012

Anything Lagunitas

4. JWU

JWU Savant (270) Pennsylvania Feb 10, 2010

Victory Hop Devil and Prima Pils, Smuttynose Old Brown Dog, Troegs Hopback, Dogfish Head 90 Min, and Indian Brown, and I'm sure I'll think of a bunch more once I post this.
    All these fall into the category of "Every time I have them, I'm reminded of how good they are"

5. MCDub

I've never really dabbled with Smuttynose in general, been meaning to for awhile

6. gwdavis

Speaking of DFH brews, you have to also mention 60 minute. I overlook it all the time, but as you said, every time I have one I remember how much I love that beer.

Lantern likes this.
  7. hctap00

hctap00 Aficionado (195) Maryland Nov 2, 2012

This. Its great to see Troegs Hopback get some love. For me, it is a perfect example of a classic amber, a style that seems to be overlooked. And DFH 90 continues to impress me, years after it became the beer that got me into craft.

Lantern and xxbillay like this.
  8. MCDub

It's funny the only Lagunitas I've had (that I can recall) is Sucks. I was enticed to by it when I thought it was limited.

9. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (655) Florida Apr 13, 2011

I thought this was a Michael's thread when I clicked on it.

10. Sam Adams Imperial Stout and Cream Stout, Victory Storm King, Lagunitas Hop Stoopid, Ommegang Hennepin and Abbey, Chimay Grande Reserve, anything by St. Bernardus, etc etc etc

11. MCDub

I've had storm king from that list and thats it....

12. Sam Adams Cream Stout = dead simple, tasty, classic cream stout @ around $7 a sixer
    Sam Adams Imperial Stout = 4pk/$10...straightforward, English-style take on RIS
    Lagunitas Hop Stoopid = classic, dirt cheap, delicious DIPA, West-coast style
    Ommegang Hennepin = simply the best American-made Belgian-style saison (IMOHO), $8.00/750
    Ommegang Abbey = Excellent dubbel-style ale $8-9 a 750ml
    Chimay Grand Reserve (Blue) = Trappist classic Belgian Strong Dark, $10-13/750
    St. Bernardus (anything) = Rivals most if not all of the Trapist breweries in quality (varies, but affordable)

These are all beers I forget about until I'm in an 'I'm tired of looking for the next big thing' rut and return to my roots

airforbes1 likes this.
  13. MCDub

Take that back I've had the Chimay

14. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Soy sauce bomb.

ESeab likes this.
  15. Really? This surprises me, cos I HATE, HATE 'soy sauce' beers...why I can't stand Dark Lord...I've only had an aged (1.5-2 years?) example...I'll have to try one of my fresher bottles from a 4pk I bought around Christmas!

16. fullmetal1381

fullmetal1381 Savant (270) Florida Jul 30, 2011

You like Quads?

Three Philosophers
    St. Bernardus Abt 12
    Rochefort 10

All three available year round. The bottom two are rated "world class" and the third should be. It's close, though.

17. I am excited about Lagunitas Sucks becoming a staple. Hopefully the year round plans go well. Also, last fall I was basically blown away by Anchor Humming Ale. I had looked over this beer for years, never thinking much of it. Maybe the fact that it was on sale for $4 a sixer had something to do with it, but I thought it was pretty freaking delicious. It has a depth and complexity I did not expect from a pale ale. Maybe it is just unique to my palate, the reviews don't seem to reflect what I experienced. Pretty damn good though.

18. MCDub

I do enjoy quads. I thought the Sixth Glass was great. Ive had 3 philosphers but not the other 2

19. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (915) Texas Aug 15, 2010

It's funny seeing some of the beers mentioned here; it's very telling regarding how U.S. denizens interpret the term "craft."

20. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

I'm going to list some breweries I feel consistently make craft staples. And I'm going to stick with American breweries to make it easier on me.

Deschutes ( Black Butte, Green Lakes, Yeti
    Green Flash (Hop Head Red, Ipa)
    Sierra Nevada Seasonals ( celebration, ruthless rye, Narwhal and Estate IPA)
    Stone Levitation

21. mp19

mp19 Zealot (85) Virginia Feb 22, 2013

Lagunitas lil sumpin, brooklyn brown, southern tier ipa,

ESeab likes this.
  22. rojos

rojos Zealot (85) Pennsylvania Oct 29, 2011

I usually see Bells Two Hearted easily accessible in the Asheville area. I would say that is a craft staple.

miwestcoaster likes this.
  23. jasoncheb

jasoncheb Aficionado (205) Virginia Nov 23, 2012

Stone IPA, Arrogant Bastard, etc.

24. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Fat Tire, Boston Lager, Anchor Steam, Hop Devil, 90 Minute, Black Butte, Arrogant Bastard, Hennepin, LH Milk Stout, Purple Haze, Dundee Honey Brown, Full Sail Amber, even Shiner Bock.

Pretty much anything that has been around forever and is still alive and doing well.

joelwlcx likes this.
  25. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

also guilty of seasonal beer stalking...
    let's see... left hand nitro, young's double chocolate, val dieu tripl....

oh shoot, I almost forgot my favorite! speedway!!!!

26. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

90 min. (got me started), Jail Alai (now that it's accessible), 2 hearted, Tucher Dunkel.

27. gwdavis

Also Bell's Best Brown. If browns are up your alley, then this one is a must.

28. Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter is a staple in my beer fridge.

29. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I try to keep certain beers in my beer fridge not just because they are delicious, but because I also know that other people will like them too. If all I had in the fridge were single bottles of things that I want to try and review, I'd be disappointed if I having to give them up to a guest.
    My year round favorites are:
    Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin
    NG Spotted Cow
    GL Edmund Fitzgerald

30. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (805) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold and Victory Prima Pils..

31. I've never seen a Sam Adams sixer for $7. Not even for 7.99. Chepeast around here is like 8.29 or 8.65.

32. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

I like the way you think

JWU likes this.
  33. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Get a variety pack of a staple brewery you haven't had much from. Great Lakes, Troegs, Smuttynose, Victory. All of them have solid beers in there.

34. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Initiate (0) Colorado Nov 24, 2011

Torpedo! Old rasputin! I make sure to spend a month or two every couple to just by off the shelf without over thinking. La fin du monde. Vitus. Sam Smith RIS. Victory Variety pack.

Sometimes I go through the beers of fame to check and see what I've been missing or would like to revisit.

35. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (710) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

Centenial IPA
    Alpha King
    Founders Porter
    Stones smoked porter

36. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Oskar Blues opened a plant in Brevard.

37. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Savant (370) New York Jan 7, 2013

My favorite staples are (mostly 12oz varieties):

Bear Republic Racer 5
    DFH 90 min (though its a bit pricey : /)
    Unibroue La Fin Du Monde
    Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin
    Founders Porter
    Left Hand Nitro (though I'll mix it up with seasonal/local milk stouts)
    Great Divide Yeti
    Ten Fidy (super pricey but worth it from time to time!)

38. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

This. THE craft staple IPA if you can't find something local that you like as much.

39. +1 on Torpedo! So good. A store by my work sells tall boys of it for $1.89. Lately I've been looking for the best deals I can. I've spent too much on special expensive beers when I can ALWAYS ALWAYS find something outstanding yet reliable for a decent price.

40. dap325

dap325 Aficionado (190) New York Apr 2, 2009

Brooklyn Lager
    Dales Pale Ale
    Troegs Hop Back
    Smuttynose Robust Porter
    Ayinger anything