1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Craft Staples

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MCDub, Feb 27, 2013.

1. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

Harpoon, Great Lakes,Troegs!, Port Brewing, Rogue!, Southern Tier, Great Divide, Brekinridge, Boulder, Brooklyn, Ballast Point!!, Long Trail, Victory, Lagunitas, etc., etc., etc..

2. atomic

atomic Savant (435) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Weihenstephaner, their wheat beers are second to none. I think I prefer their dunkelweizen the best.

Samuel Smith, their oatmeal stout might be my favorite, but everything they do is good

Bell's, their hopslam might get a lot of hype, but two hearted ale is an amazing anytime any place beer.

Goose Island, they do more than just BCBS. Matilda, Sofie, Pere Jacques, Pepe Nero. All awesome brews that can be found all year round and will age for years and years. Might not be in your area however.

St Bernardus. Westvletaren XII might have seen a lot of hype this past year, but St Bernardus Abt 12 might be just as good, hell you might even like it more. And its available all the time for about $6 a 12oz.

Desuchtes. We only just got them in Chicago, doubt NC has it yet, but keep an eye out if it does come your way.

Firestone Walker. So far the only let down from them was DBA, but that might be a personal preference thing. Velvet Merlin is another amazing Oatmeal stout, and I'd say a bit of an unsung hero from them. But of course their Union Jack, Double Jack, and Wooky Jack are all worth the praise they get.

1424IpA likes this.
  3. Victory Hop Wallop
    DFH Burton Baton

Lantern likes this.
  4. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

Dammit, I thought this topic was Home Ec. related.

5. MCDub

MCDub Savant (310) North Carolina Dec 17, 2009

Yeah I definitely need to do that. I lost a Tart of Darkness not having beer available when someone house/dog sitted for me and I said "make yourself at home." They drainpoured it and told me it had gone bad when i got back.

mecummins likes this.
  6. MCDub

MCDub Savant (310) North Carolina Dec 17, 2009

I went two weekends ago and had a great time. Picked up a good haul while i was there.

7. Anchor Steam!

8. I really like this thread. Back to basics!

9. 1424IpA

1424IpA Savant (395) California Nov 2, 2012

Firestone started the craft movement for me and they continue to be a go to brewery for me...it helps they are right down the road....anyways, union jack, double jack, wookey jack, and there other standards are hard to say no to.

10. Rion

Rion Savant (265) North Carolina Jan 30, 2013

In NC I would recommend
    Foothills
    Old Hickory
    Pisgah
    Which I'm sure you have had

If your in Charlotte or close to Charlotte, NC
    Noda
    Birdsong
    Ass Clown
    4 Friends
    Triple C
    all local breweries that all have there own great qualities. My favorite is the NoDa brewery personally.

Try some local stuff from the state if you have not already. I think everyone else has told you anything that is not in NC.

11. Staples for me of the 3 styles I drink the most are:
    IPA's/DIPA's - Flower Power, Union Jack
    Tripels - La Fin DuMonde, Merry Monks
    Stouts - Ten Fidy, Old Rasputin
    These are all beers i can always get and always enjoy.