1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

"crap" beers you have a soft spot for and why

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by YieldToNothing, Jul 24, 2013.

1. like i would imagine all cubbies fans have a soft spot for old style.

for me- molson canadian- one of the first beers i got into because of the hockey connection. i'll still enjoy a few bottles when in canada or when watching games with friends who aren't so into craft.
    labbatt blue for the same reason. i can get down on a moosehead too, but ONLY in a canadian motel room after a concert in canada.
    PBR- because sometimes, there some some groups of people you hang out with when nothing really beats chasing whiskey shots with an ice cold PBR. call me a hipster or what you will, I call myself a young 29 year old.
    Corona- corona on a beach on an island in the carribbean......not much else to say

2. That's alot of "crap" there.

Personally, I did buy a six-pack of Genny Cream Ale last year. Drank 2 and gave the rest away.

3. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Mexican food just isn't the same without a Tecate. I don't consider that "crap" beer, but I'm sure most of you will.

hnandez, BeerKangaroo, tmm313 and 3 others like this.
  4. 21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon. I would never tell my friends I like it, but I could totally see drinking it on the water or during a hot day!

5. You're drinking the wrong whiskey if you need to take shots of it ;)

6. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (635) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

I used to drink lots of Schaefer, if I saw a six on the shelf, I'd pick it up... if it was still $1.99 a six-pack.

Spikester, Wrigfen and JimKal like this.
  7. Miller High Life, PBR, Rolling Rock, and Yuengling. Those are my go to party beers.

slim2043 and ElijahRivera like this.
  8. AlienSwineFlu

AlienSwineFlu Savant (460) Ohio Dec 14, 2012

Yuengling (best gas station beer), Rolling Rock, and... Corona Light :cool:

admobeer34 and ImperatorScab like this.
  9. JulianC

JulianC Savant (345) Illinois Mar 9, 2012

Leinie's Red and Killian's Red. Drank a lot of that back in college as my "good beers"

10. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Do you all need these threads as validation or something?

All this beer you're talking about is shitty swill. No reason to drink it unless you just need a way to regulate alcohol delivery at a safe pace for less money.

11. only crap whiskey gets chased by crap beer, ya dig?

12. MikeWard

MikeWard Savant (455) Pennsylvania Sep 14, 2011

I'll happily have a Dos Equis when at a mexican restaurant.

hnandez, sajaffe1, tmm313 and 4 others like this.
  13. Always had a soft spot for Pabst Blue Ribbon. That's the beer my dad always brought whenever we went fishing together.

14. Ice cold Molson after a Senior league game - reminds me of hiding them on the balcony on Junior bus trips through Ontario.

Miller High Life - my dads beer and my 1st beer

15. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

Just one. Pacifico. reminds me of my honeymoon in Cabo.

hnandez and fernz18 like this.
  16. WhatdaHec

WhatdaHec Savant (290) California Aug 6, 2003

Who takes shots of whiskey anymore?

bifrost17 likes this.
  17. JimKal

JimKal Savant (325) North Carolina Jul 31, 2011

I remember the jingle Schaefer is the...One beer to have..When you're having more than one

ElijahRivera likes this.
  18. Dos Equis Amber for me. Reminds me of some amazing times in Mexico with my wife.

hnandez, Johnnyhitch, charlzm and 3 others like this.
  19. HopAG

HopAG Savant (485) Texas Sep 22, 2012

Magic Hat #9 - I know a lot of people hate it here but it was my fancy college beer when I had a bit more cash to spend than BMC. It will always have a good place in my heart.

Corona - On a hot Texas summer day it hits the spot!

MgoJohnStamos and Johnnyhitch like this.
  20. riemster

riemster Advocate (605) Ohio Mar 17, 2011

Genny cream. My dads beer of choice around the house. Like father like son.

OldhouseRecs and ElijahRivera like this.
  21. Beck's, only because living in W. Phila as a 19 y/o the 4x16oz was available to me from a greek restaurant around the corner for something like $7. There was some bizarre 2 'unit' limit there so it was by far the most amount of beer/alcohol I could obtain at that place as everything else was tall boys or singles.

I still think it kills Heineken in the skunky'ish import lager category.

Zone_Fighter and stella77artois like this.
  22. I'm the same with Negra Modelo. I love one with good tacos.

hnandez, admobeer34, Jacob007 and 5 others like this.
  23. Hotel rooms after concerts in Canada often times lead to bad things! But good memories!

As for me :

Molson Canadian - We drank this stuff by the case in college, used to be $9.99/28 pack. Anyone remember the "race case"? 28 cans in the shape of a tire? LOL, the good ol' days. Don't really like the taste anymore, but it's a decent cheap beer I don't mind drinking.

Molson Golden - I used to consider this good beer back in college. My, how times have changed. Still though, don't mind drinking this every now and then.

Heineken - I don't understand this beer's bummed rap. It's not world class, but I really like the flavor when it's not too skunky. I actually like the skunkiness when it's light. I drink this beer regularly.

Beck's - Another one I don't get why it's hated, for same reasons as above. I will say that when this beer is cold, it's one of my favorite refreshers.

Modelo - Prefer it over Corona! I find myself buying this during hockey season quite a bit.

thegodfather1076 likes this.
  24. Keystone Light and High life...my "filler" beer for camping.

hnandez likes this.
  25. Aleforme

Aleforme Savant (390) Washington Nov 26, 2008

Shiner Bock!

Not a great beer by any means but I still love a crave it. Moved from Texas to Seattle and was pleasantly suprised to find it here. Always have it in the fridge.

26. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Advocate (615) Ohio Mar 29, 2008

- Blue Moon - it's refreshing and pairs well with oranges
    - Corona w/ lime - I don't know why, but I crave one every couple years or so, then I drink it and I'm good for another couple years

hnandez, kabritz and velcrogrip like this.
  27. 'Gansett Lager, Genny Cream Ale, and Miller High Life (Hey, it's the champagne of beers, and on a hot day, it could certainly be worse... I have my brothers-in-law to thank for this one).
    All very inexpensive, and minimally offensive. What more could you ask for?

28. Killians and Michelob amber

29. wrycon

wrycon Savant (270) Minnesota Apr 22, 2009

Out of curiosity, was it on the playground that you spent most of your days?

30. dedbeer

dedbeer Savant (345) Illinois Jun 23, 2013

High Life and Old Style. It's what my dad always drank and goes down super easy on a hot day or when my palates burnt from IIPAs.

31. i feel about chinese food the way you feel about corona

Burkbom23 likes this.
  32. Ragnarok88

Ragnarok88 Initiate (0) Minnesota May 30, 2013

Always will take a Grain Belt Premium, although I wouldn't call it crap.

My new favorite light beer though is Brau Bros. Old 56, which I had for the first time this past weekend and is still considered a craft beer. My dad bought it and the first time he offered it to me I told him sarcastically that it wasn't my style. After having it though I have to say it's pretty good stuff for a light beer.

33. Steel Reserve, cuz the first beer I ever tried that I liked was malt liquor (St Ides, but they don't sell that here; HG Steel is close) & I still like the taste.
    Genny Cream, cuz it's super cheap & actually not bad for being such. Won't bowl anyone over but it's solid, that buck for a tallcan is not wasted.

During rough patches in ones finances, sometimes you still want a beer.

Botulizard and ElijahRivera like this.
  34. sbxx

sbxx Advocate (500) Illinois Mar 21, 2011

Coors Light. First beer I actually enjoyed.

35. Alextricity

Alextricity Champion (785) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

I don't really hate any beers most people would deem shitty.

So long as there aren't OFF flavors in a beer, I'll drink it.

MoorBeerPlz and Botulizard like this.
  36. I'm going to post a thread titled "How many different ways can you post the same thread?" Just sayin'...

37. Milwaukee's Best Light, THE BEAST. cheapest case for a friday or saturday night near me.

38. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

PBR, Yuengling, Tecate.

ElijahRivera likes this.
  39. Burkbom23

Burkbom23 Savant (360) Connecticut Mar 11, 2013

Coors Light. Still great on a hot summer day, after a softball game, etc

40. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

mythos
    if your brain and body are both frying in the greek sun, it is super refreshing.
    Wouldn't want to try it when I'm baking, though.