1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

"crap" beers you have a soft spot for and why

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by YieldToNothing, Jul 24, 2013.

1. ElijahRivera

ElijahRivera Savant (370) New York Jun 30, 2009

If you add Genny, and Genny Bock when it is in season, I completely agree with you. I have a sentimental link to Genny, because I went to school in Rochester, and I used to drink gallons of High Life and PBR while bartending on Martha's Vineyard. Rolling Rock and Yuengling are just decent cheap beers along with the others mentioned.

TheNightwatchman likes this.
  2. rather

rather Savant (305) California May 31, 2013

cave creek chili beer yum. pbr is also good

Murphey likes this.
  3. Keep Yuengling and PBR for cookouts / company and will drink both if there's nothing but (worse) shxt beer at whatever restaurant / gathering i'm patronizing :/

4. fishmich

fishmich Savant (490) Michigan Apr 11, 2013

Budweiser. it was the beer my dad always drank when he drank. also im a roofer and something about a Budweiser when you come down the ladder on a brutally hot and dirty day is one of the most rewarding and refreshing beers ill ever have. also, KBS is hard to play beer pong with, as well as expensive. ive also tried it with two hearted and that is bad as well.

5. Miller High Life, before I got into craft beer it was all I drank. Now I drink it and I wonder "How did I like this so much?" But, it's still kinda special to me.

slim2043 likes this.
  6. pbr its what I cut my teethon

7. olekern

olekern Aficionado (145) California Sep 25, 2010

Gordon Biersch...except that I don't think it as bad as I think many people complain about. The Sommerbrau I had last night tasted rather K├Âlsch-like to me!

8. Ranbot

Ranbot Advocate (500) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006

Yuengling and Lionshead (Lionshead's rebus puzzle caps are fun too!)

9. PBR--Because for being what it is, it actually has taste

Landshark--Sometimes you just want to get drunk and drink a lot of beer. It goes down easy, especially on a hot day at the beach or in the river.

10. Corona with chips and salsa fishing or on a 100 degree day,i buy this brew from time to time and i enjoy it

11. Schaefer my go to beer decades ago when I was young. Preferred it over Budweiser, Reingold, Old Milwaukee all neighborhood staples. Have to try it again if I see it. Has to be at least more than 35-40 years since I had one.

JimKal likes this.
  12. Lionshead, Pacifico, Modello, Tecate, Schlitz Gusto, PBR and (I'm ashamed to admit) Ice House...all are good beers (well...except the Ice House) and they are welcome alternatives at the right time and the right place especially a party depending on the crowd. There are a lot of people who don't like craft beers or just don't appreciate a good beer. No snobbery here...drink up and enjoy life's too short to get all hung up.

cadizkyguy likes this.
  13. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

Soft spot for Pacifico with a dash of salt and a small squeeze of lime. It's a Cabo staple.

14. San Miguel, because I could buy a six-pack for $1 in Korea in 1987, and it didn't count against my monthly Class VI ration.

Spikester likes this.
  15. derftron

derftron Savant (300) Oregon Feb 8, 2012

Mickeys grenades = my high school and college in a nutshell. and at least there is some ABV there

Not a crap beer at all, but not at all as good as what is out there is Mac and Jacks African Amber. that was my first "craft" beer, along with Fat Tire. But I hate Fat Tire now and still enjoy African Amber.

As for swill beer (coors, MGD, bud, PBR, rolling rock, etc.) just cant do it. no point

16. charlzm

charlzm Champion (775) California Sep 3, 2007

If I'm in a Mexican restaurant and they don't have any craft beers, I'll have a Negro Modelo, a Dos Equis Amber or a Bohemia. In all other circumstances, I will have craft beer only or soda.

I skipped the "drinking shitty beer" stage and went straight from hating beer (macros were all I knew) to loving craft beer, so I don't have any fond memories that involve macros.

Neorebel likes this.
  17. Miller Lite! Oh beer of my youth. I also drank the BEAST, but the memories are not so fine.
    However, my favorite mass produced beer is Warsteiner, to which I was introduced while serving the US Army in Germany. Still love Warsteiner. Ein Bier Bitte!

slim2043 likes this.
  18. Larrygto

Larrygto Aficionado (230) Arizona May 28, 2012

I should start a thread "Beers your ashamed to admit you like" and see if someone posts something?

19. JMS1512

JMS1512 Advocate (660) New Jersey Feb 18, 2013

I do. HOWEVER, I find that to go well with nachos and other corn based dishes. But that's just me.

bifrost17 likes this.
  20. VDODSON

VDODSON Savant (310) North Dakota Feb 5, 2013

Icehouse, had a fake id as a teen and used to get blasted out of my mind on a 12 pack when my parents went to sleep.

sajaffe1 likes this.
  21. leezy

leezy Aficionado (185) Minnesota Sep 13, 2009

Grainbelt Premium/Nordeast
    Miller Lite

-Both these brands got me through college and helped me discover craft beer

22. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Be on the lookout for these.......

http://laughingsquid.com/hipster-trap/

Spikester likes this.
  23. dirtyfab

dirtyfab Aficionado (235) New York Oct 21, 2004

regular coors

24. High Life
    Coors Golden Banquet

25. Miller Lite.. our go to beer when I lived in Tx
    Labatts and Molson Canadian our go to beers here in NY now
    Miller pony bottles and Genny longnecks when I was a kid

26. thegodfather1076

thegodfather1076 Savant (385) Ohio Oct 11, 2009

Miller High Life...my dad, grandpa, and a bunch of the old-timers at the Italian Club that I belong to always drink it so it is my go to crap beer!! Just a classic!

admobeer34 likes this.
  27. Pabst is my go to non craft beer even though I don't consider it crap I consider it delicious.

Botulizard likes this.
  28. I will never remove Coors Light from my rotation. These days, I sort of love having it sitting in the fridge between the Ten FIDY and the Devil Dancer

29. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (480) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

No such thing as "crap" beer. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Botulizard and ImperatorScab like this.

30. Dude, chill out and stop taking yourself so seriously. This post is about your "guilty pleasure" and why. I like good food but still enjoy Taco Hell on occasion. I like good music but can still rock out to Ratt (to bring back the good ol' '80's).

We get it. You like good beer. Play along.

31. rangerzx3

rangerzx3 Zealot (75) Wisconsin Apr 17, 2012

I still enjoy a red stripe every now and then!

kabritz and ImperatorScab like this.
  32. Molson - because drinking Canadian beer at a Bruins game is ironic in a good way
    Black Label - beacuse I want to relive my college days
    Corona - because I want to stick a lime in a beer
    Blue Moon - because that was a night where I might have been the most s***faced ever
    Pabst - because all the hipsters love it
    Bud Light - because $1 drafts are awesome and I love paying $8 for one at a Sox game
    Miller 64 - because I'm watching my weight

33. tone77

tone77 Advocate (580) Pennsylvania May 20, 2009

Olde English 800 and Colt 45. Reminds me of my high school years, passing around 40's with my crew.

34. PBR of course

35. Ballantine. Why? Wu Tang.

36. MCain04

MCain04 Savant (390) Texas Jan 3, 2013

Yuengling has such a soft spot in my heart that I feel bad calling it a crap beer. It's like calling your first girlfriend ugly.

ImperatorScab and ThomasAWilson2 like this.
  37. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Molson Golden, Canadian and Export.

Old Style

38. Oh, God. Steel Reserve - I bought it to get drunk, but I had to choke it down. Never thought I'd see anyone say they liked the taste! But, hey, to each their own.

39. Gotta be red stripe!

kabritz and ImperatorScab like this.