1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

"crap" beers you have a soft spot for and why

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by YieldToNothing, Jul 24, 2013.

1. I rather liked the Cave Creek! I'm kind of a pepper head, so no big surprise. But, love that hot, yet cold experience.
    rather likes this.

2. I'd drink Shaefer as a teenager. Mainly because one of the neighborhood kids would steal a 6 pack from his old man and sell it to us for like $3. Ah. . .the memories. Guess I'll go downstairs and make sure my kids are still in bed.
  3. DaKur

DaKur Savant (400) Rhode Island Nov 15, 2012

Coors Light and Bud Ice
  4. lone star and shiner, cuz texas ya'll
  5. Dundee Honey Brown because I thought it was better than BMC.
    kerry4porters and ImperatorScab like this.
  6. Saranac Shandy. It's like lemonade
    victory4me and DarkDragon999 like this.
  7. mammal33

mammal33 Aficionado (110) Georgia Apr 23, 2012

I'll have a Chang beer once n' a while w/ sushi, reminds me of Thailand......
  8. Would this one or the similarly named thread here from last year be close enough for you?;)
    BrettHead likes this.
  9. Pabst. It's the only non-craft I drink anymore, usually when I'm going a couple rounds. I guess I'll occasionally get Yuengling, too. It was more of a gem for me back in college, when I found it places and brought it back to Indiana where it isn't distributed. Now that I live in PA (an hour from the brewery) it isn't so much of a gem.

10. There's no 2 limit rule, it's an ounces rule. You can't carry out more then 128 ounces at a time. So you can buy as much as you want, you just have to make multiple trips to carry it out. It's absurd. PA has some of the worst liquor laws in the country. They have Wine and Spirits "liquor" stores Vs. Take Out Stores Vs. Beer Distributors...Also there is no booze sold in normal retail outlets, with the exception of Wegman's. There, the beer is separate from the rest of the store, and you can't buy anything else at the "beer" registers. So even though the takeout food is right there, you have to pay for your beer, then walk your ass down the other end of the store to pay for your takeout. PA is so dumb! Grrrrrrrrr!!!!!
    TBYoung likes this.
  11. Molson XXX. The most full bodied shit beer I think I've ever had, and a nice kick (7.3% ABV).
  12. It's a 192 oz. limit for purchases at "bottle shops" - bumped from 144 oz. (2 sixpacks of 12 oz. bottles) back in the 50s, to accommodate the then-popular 16 oz. bottles (2 sixpacks) and quarts (up to 6 at a time).

Other retailers can and do obtain the license Wegman's uses to sell beer - including the many indie bottle shops as well as other grocery stores like Giant Eagle, Weis and Whole Foods.
  13. BeerSurf

BeerSurf Initiate (15) Florida Jul 25, 2013

PBR, High Life, Busch lite, Icehourse (yes, I said Icehouse). Nothing helps with the super hot humid days in Florida like some 'lawnmowin' beers'.
  14. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

PBR
    Yuengling Lord Chesterfield
    Miller High Life
    Ceres
  15. jncastillo87

jncastillo87 Aficionado (200) Texas Jan 27, 2013

Miller high life
  16. When my goal is to just to get drunk I just go for some PBR. When having mexican food I can't talk myself into drinking a Corona but I do enjoy Sol.
  17. CadetGCBD

CadetGCBD Aficionado (115) Georgia Mar 30, 2011

YES! NM is def one of the best macros along with Warstiener Dunkel and Labatt Blue those are mine. A beer for every occasion.
  18. teraflx

teraflx Savant (395) Arizona Feb 4, 2013

Blue Moon on a hot summers day when I am playing a round of golf. This also could be because a lot of the courses around here dont have anything aside from BMC but at least the Blue Moon takes some of the heat away when its 115 degrees out on the course.
  19. matedog

matedog Aficionado (185) California Jan 25, 2010

Blue Moon with the stupid orange, but I almost have it in my mind that I'm drinking something other than beer. Like a very light cocktail or some kind of juice. And yeah, Red Stripe when I'm at a concert and don't want to fall in line with all the Pabst drinking hipsters. Also, The Clash drank Red Stripe.
  20. Deer Park - Blue Label

Al
  21. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Go back and read my post as...

- A curious and questioning observer, in a polite tone
    - An angry Bill O'Reilly
    - Someone offering friendly advice to people he feels are misguided
    - A stoned fast food worker

Now question your ability to estimate my chill level from written text.
  22. tzieser

tzieser Initiate (0) Arizona Nov 21, 2006

Me. I fuckin hate bourbon/tennesee whiskey.

As for the crap beer.....i dont know.....Olde English i guess.
  23. cadizkyguy

cadizkyguy Savant (330) Kentucky Mar 17, 2008

Yuengling is not a crap beer. But i do enjoy it.. Along with Schlitz 60s formula in bottles and Corona with lime.. If times are tight I have no probs drinking budget beer.. Nothing better than an ice cold Schlitz after some yard work.. I find myself price shopping for beer more and more these days.
  24. zestd

zestd Savant (320) Idaho Jan 18, 2013

Weinhard's Private Reserve and Blue Boar. Some of the first beers I would buy myself because it was cheap and tasted better than what I was drinking before. Of course pre-21, I'd drink whatever was available...Lucky Lager to Rainier to Key Lt.
  25. -Yuengling because it wasn't my introduction to beer, per se, but was probably the first beer I actually enjoyed. So I usually keep some in my fridge and crack one open from time to time. Ah, nostalgia!
    -Dos Equis Amber when I'm at a Mexican restaurant. They go really, really good with Mexican food, in my opinion. (Sometimes I just might even squeeze the lime wedge and drop it into the beer instead of setting it on a napkin on the table.)
  26. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (605) California Dec 15, 2012

I used to have a soft spot for Lime-a-Rita. I enjoyed the faux margarita experience. That is until I got a nasty headache last time I had it. I haven't gotten close to one since.
  27. Harnkus

Harnkus Savant (360) New York Oct 31, 2013

I'm not an apologetic beer drinker, but what I like that many here would likely scoff at:

Michelob
    Narragansett
    Schaefer
    PBR
    nc41, American_Hawk and Smitty1988 like this.
  28. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (540) New York Jun 11, 2007

"Crap" beer as likely defined by other people:

Labatt Blue: my paternal grandfather's beer. Always in the cooler when the relatives gather for holidays, so it always makes me think of family.

Genny Lager: At ~$13 a case, it's a great beer for a hot summer day. And I can go to the brewery and enjoy one while sitting on a raised deck with a view of the High Falls, which is pretty nice.
    MarkJBurch and outsider like this.
  29. azorie

azorie Advocate (715) Florida Mar 18, 2006

Sorry Life is too short to drink beer I dislike. I moved on from imported lager for Canada long ago. I vote with my dollars, if that make me a beer snob so be it. hated PBR 45 years ago. Still Do.

If you Like them though its your choice. I even drink Good porter on days I cut the lawn in 95F heat.

Lack of cheap beer never hurt any parties I have had though, lol :D
  30. tmm313

tmm313 Savant (420) Georgia Nov 6, 2011

I've got a soft spot for Bass, Newcastle, and Yuengling. They had a hand in starting this craze, but I rarely ever drink them. Dos Equis Amber in Mexican restaurants still happens from time to time. This past summer, a local restaurant had Magic Hat Pistil on tap, which I really enjoyed... repeatedly. Its only rated 75 on BA, but I thought it was awesome.
  31. Das_Reh

Das_Reh Savant (335) Florida Mar 25, 2013

Don't know if Hoegaarden counts, but I love that beer, even though some consider it a macro witbier. It's the only beer I like that I can find at almost any grocery store or gas station.

I also don't mind Yuengling black and tan.
    cestlavie likes this.
  32. you're in your 60's most likely,
    i would say lack of youth is probably hurting your parties....
    azorie likes this.
  33. azorie

azorie Advocate (715) Florida Mar 18, 2006

well have lots of HB, and OTher things!
  34. MosinMan762

MosinMan762 Aficionado (110) Ohio Oct 21, 2013

Busch Light
    Coors Light
    Burger
    PBR
  35. I don't consider anything I enjoy to be be crap, but in the eyes of some people maybe...

Dos Equis Amber and Genesse Cream Ale.
    Falcone, Botulizard and azorie like this.
  36. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Schlitz gusto if I have to drink "crap"
  37. wiscokid920

wiscokid920 Savant (370) Maryland Apr 27, 2011

Natty Boh

PBR (the first beer I ever had)
  38. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

PBR and Budweiser. PBR is my binge-drinking-deep-convo beer and every once in a great while, in hot weather, I crave an ice cold Bud to chug.
  39. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I'll drink (and enjoy) just about anything that doesn't end in "light/lite." Every now and then I'm guilty of enjoying a Coors Light, too. I like beer. If anything, drinking craft beers made me go full circle enough to appreciate the stuff from the big boys.
    Botulizard, DMEsquire and pieman25 like this.
  40. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (480) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

I still drink Yuengling when I'm in NY. Their Black & Tan and standard lager were staples when I was 21-23, still living at home, and drinking at my local sports bar (The Bullpen in Glens Falls).