1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

"crap" beers you have a soft spot for and why

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by YieldToNothing, Jul 24, 2013.

1. rgordon

rgordon Member

Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel. Only "real"crap beer that I've tried.
    cestlavie, BrettHead and JrGtr like this.
  2. JrGtr

JrGtr Member

I'll drink a MGD if it's there and there's nothing good in the house (wouldn't be my house of course... ) possibly a Heineken.
    When Yeungling comes back to Massachusetts next spring, I'll revisit it to see if it has any place in mine.
    Naragansett can be refreshing in the right circumstances.
  3. Longstaff

Longstaff Member

Lighten up Francis, it may be shocking for you to hear, but there are some beer geeks that don't take beer as seriously as you - even after drinking the best craft has to offer for over 20 years...

Not everyone wants beer to sip, savor, and ponder over its flavor all the time - I guess refreshment isn't a valid reason to drink beer for you?

HOMEPL8, GeoffreyM, Norica and 2 others like this.
  4. TequilaSauer

TequilaSauer Member

I LOVE PBR.

Every once in a while, for fun, I'll pick up 2 4-packs of tall boys (3 bucks per pack!!!) and I'll hit the tennis court with one of my best friends super late at night on a weekend and we'll hit and drink the pibbers on breaks.
  5. qbanole

qbanole Member

Yuengling no doubt
    BeerKangaroo likes this.
  6. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Member

I've been know to drink my fair share of PBR, Yuengling, Rolling Rock, and Miller High Life.

They have their time and place, such as when I want to get drunk on a tight budget. Great for tailgating as well.
  7. GermyHammer

GermyHammer Member

Milwaukee's Best "Premium" because you can get a 24 oz can for $1, that's 50 cents a beer, it has some taste to it, and it doesn't give a noticeable hangover (if you limit yourself to 2 cans). I've never tried the light because I don't do light beers if at all possible. Though Miller or Miller Lite cold off the tap in a frosted mug aren't bad either for a cheap pitcher in a podunk bar.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  8. Longstaff

Longstaff Member

Bass, Genny cream ale, Beck's, Moosehead, Molson Golden - these are the beers I cut my teeth on.

St pauli girl - not a bad lager at all despite its reputation if you can find it within 6 months of bottling - I would rather drink this than most US craft lager attempts - and not just based on price. Been harder to find lately though, otherwise it would always be in my fridge.

High Life - mega refreshing when served ice cold and slugged out of those clear bottles before it warms up.
    Miller Lite - decent flavor - just not much of it - a thirstquenching nightcapper for me
    MGD - my "poor man's corona" when Corona was on the pricey side - drank a ton of it in college and afterwards
    herrburgess likes this.
  9. herrburgess

herrburgess Member

Belle Vue Gueuze.

Why: because it's worth not getting Cantillion if it means I can avoid U.S. beer geeks while I'm on vacation in Belgium.
  10. pieman25

pieman25 Member

I'm with this guy, except for the coors light bit, I've never been able to finish a coors light.
    barrybeerdog likes this.
  11. barrybeerdog

barrybeerdog Member

Geez, leeror-hack lighten up!!! Not everyone was searching for a great Trappist Ale on a Friday night when they were 16!!! I'll go w/ Grain Belt Premium!!!
    HOMEPL8 likes this.
  12. leedorham

leedorham Member

This is true. In fact it's true in my case, but I don't really want to do any one thing all the time.

Never really been a cold-beer-after-hard-work kinda guy. I'm a big fan of a nice cold arnold palmer though. That's half lemonade, half iced tea. They're really good.

also - lol at all the replies to my post from last decade.
    azorie likes this.
  13. t420o

t420o Member

Pacifico
    Corona
    Tecate
    Busch
  14. Modernrickk

Modernrickk Member

Red Horse from Philippines! Amazing brew with shrimp and gumbo - give it a shot with food- it's 8.00abv makes for a good meal
  15. mjryan

mjryan Member

Been drinking Hamms lately. Before that I went on a Leinenkugels kick for awhile. I like to keep a twelve pack of cheap canned beer in the fridge because I actually enjoy an old fashioned lager from time to time.
    MosinMan762 likes this.
  16. Kanger

Kanger Member

Anytime I'm out in New Jersey I drink the local house wine aka Miller Lite. The only cheap beer that doesn't make me ill. And who can go wrong with 30 beers for $20?
  17. DanGolfs86

DanGolfs86 Member

A very cold bottle of Corona Familiar with a sliced lime and a warm day. Just makes me feel like summer.
  18. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Member

PBR. Find it refreshing and easy to drink - quickly.
    Slatetank likes this.
  19. Quickicks

Quickicks Member

PBR

because its cheap, available almost anywhere, and comes in 40's ;)
  20. admobeer34

admobeer34 Member

Miller High Life, Miller Genuine Draft, Labbat Blue
    cnbrown313 likes this.
  21. sisterthelonious

sisterthelonious Member

Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss
  22. MRLMedic

MRLMedic Member

PBR - In the middle of summer when it's 110 degrees and everyone is bringing coolers full of crap beer because the goal is to just kill as many as possible. PBR is my go-to!

Yuengling - They don't sell it in Mass (yet) so similar to the story about but when out of state, usually in Florida on vacation.
  23. djaeon

djaeon Member

I enjoy Corona on hot days, if there's nothing else available.
  24. TheElbow

TheElbow Member

Ducal, a Bolivian beer made in Santa Cruz province.

I lived in Bolivia for 2 years in the Peace Corps, and drank a ton of this stuff. All Bolivian beers taste essentially the same, but this one was my "local" one.

Fun fact: Potosiña, the beer from Potosi ( a city 2 miles above sea level) is something like 2.5% ABV and gets you wasted when you're at Potosi.
  25. tkdchampxi

tkdchampxi Member

I have a soft spot for Keystone because it brings back memories of my early days of drinking. That said, i won't drink it anymore, unless my friends are trying to see who can shotgun a beer faster...
  26. BILF

BILF Member

Grolsch for the skunk.
    kabritz likes this.
  27. Boto

Boto Member

Yuengling Amber is still one of my favorites. I also enjoy Guinness, no matter what some have to say about it.
  28. GimmeGumballHead

GimmeGumballHead Member

29. VTBrewHound

VTBrewHound Member

Haffenreffer. Skunky beer in a big green bottle, from my college days.(1970's)
    Total " college beer" cheap, good buzz, big bottles. Ah the 70's...
  30. Botulizard

Botulizard Member

Narragansett and PBR are two cheap adjunct lagers that I unashamedly enjoy very much (especially Narragansett).
  31. Gilmango

Gilmango Member

I've enjoyed many "crap" beers when I travel and their is no craft beer around; sometimes the darker local beers provide a tad more flavor. But domestically it will always be Ballantine's Ale as every corner store in NYC/Brooklyn sold it back in the day when there was no craft, it was one of the only Ales you could find and it had a bit more hops than other beers and packed a bit more abv that most beers of that era too. Also tall boys in little paper sacks, maybe even a straw if you wanted to be real "down low" for about $1 (this is back around 1990).

Surprised only one person mentioned it in this thread, Beastie Boys (High Plains Drifter) and Notorious B.I.G. (Long Kiss Goodnight) also mention Ballantine, like Wu Tang / Genius GZA (Clan in Da Front), Tom Waits (Swordfishtrombones). Also mentioned in Hunter Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Ernest Hemingway endorsed it, Jasper Johns painted it, etc. An American triumph and tragedy rolled into one beer. Also long rumored to be the source of Sierra Nevada's "Chico" ale yeast - a clean fermenting ale yeast that lets the hops shine through.
  32. Drankin

Drankin Member

PBR. It's great for long gaming sessions. At $10 for an 18, it's cheaper than water
  33. kabritz

kabritz Member

Red Stripe to wash down spicy food on a hot day. Bob Marley on loop is a must.
    Rickard's anything, especially Red.
    Sleeman's anything. Scarily sessionable.
  34. Chaz

Chaz Member

<-- plus:

211, Deer Brand, Hamm's, Hauenstein, Miller High Life, Old Style, Stroh's, Tecate . . . what's the character limit? I could do this all day long!

(Bavaria 8.6, Country Club, OE HG 800, Red, White & Blue, Schlitz Red Bull... )
  35. juliusseizure

juliusseizure Member

As a Candian, Molson Canadian because of their ads and and it tugs at my patriotism because I don't live there anymore.
  36. LODGE4

LODGE4 Member

I was drinking 12 ounce glasses of Schaefer on tap for 20 cents a glass back in the early 1970's.
    frazbri likes this.
  37. MattyBones

MattyBones Member

My two crap beers I still find myself drinking from time to time are Dos Equis and Sapporo. I don't buy it for home but when I'm out I randomly find myself snagging one.
  38. LODGE4

LODGE4 Member

Pabst Blue Ribbon. Because of Blue Velvet.
  39. Augustiner719

Augustiner719 Member

once in a while ill crack open some weyerbacher simcoe… such a gross beer but for some reason it goes well with hot dogs.

other than that, anything from new belgium
  40. Icarus

Icarus Member

Miller High Life
    Rainblows and cnbrown313 like this.