1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

"crap" beers you have a soft spot for and why

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by YieldToNothing, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Maybe a Beck's or St. Pauli Girl, although I haven't had them in a while.

MosinMan762 likes this.
  2. rgordon

rgordon Savant (370) North Carolina Apr 26, 2012

You had to have been a brave young hound to quaff those Heffenyomommas. They stunk from the moment they were open. I used to think- of course while drinking one- that the brewers of Heffenburpulous were really good practical jokers. Really bad beer, but did you ever try Canadian Ace in the huge bottle? That stuff might pass you in a piss test as being pure piss minus anything.

VTBrewHound likes this.
  3. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

[​IMG]
    In Sweden an all-malt 23IBU pale lager will typically be considered a crap beer by most craft beer drinkers who equate the style of beer with Coors Light (beer starts with citrusy IPAs and end with sours according to these people). I myself enjoy alot of the pale lager beers produced by the Swedish macros and this one is dear to my heart. Spendrups were the macro brewery to bring back all-malt beers to Sweden in the 80s and they're the brewery which is the closests to German lager beers in terms of taste imo, offering plenty of semi-dry to dry lager beers with a bready maltiness and a balancing bitterness, and that's not even mentioning their solid "crafty" line-up of beers. Spendrups Premium lager, all-malt, 5%abv, 23IBU, pilsner malt, Magnum hops for bittering, Spalter Select and Tettnanger for late boil. Just a solid German-style pale lager beer brewed by a Swedish macro, the type of beer which macro breweries excel at.

Chaz and herrburgess like this.
  4. mickey's. sometimes you just want to get stung

El_Zilcho, Chaz and CSpoons like this.
  5. Dos Equis Amber w/ Mexican food.

6. Rainblows

Rainblows Savant (290) Illinois Feb 27, 2013

Add me to the Miller high life camp

No idea why really

Chaz and Icarus like this.
  7. I'll always have love for nice cold pacifico every now and then! Especially with mexican food

8. Woodman70

Woodman70 Savant (330) Wisconsin Jun 1, 2013

Hoegaarden is my go too Wit...I like it as much as Allagash

9. Pabst. It's my favorite of the AAL big box varietys.

10. gopens44

gopens44 Savant (350) Virginia Aug 9, 2010

Bud Light. It was my high school (and later on, my binge) beer. Kinda like your first lay. You likely have nothing in common any more, you both moved on, but you still reminisce about the good times.

11. Old Style Lager. It's what I get at my favorite pizza joint, they don't have craft available, but make a mean pizza, spaghetti, fried chicken, italian beef, stromboli, meatball sub, you name it. Plus it's what I drank before getting into craft beers. Still have it occasionally.

12. NewGlarusFan

NewGlarusFan Savant (330) Illinois Jun 26, 2013

Steven's Point Lager
    Huber Lager
    Huber Bock
    German Wisconsin styles that aren't really crap but are not up to high standards.
    Genese Cream ale

13. RobinLee

RobinLee Savant (430) Wisconsin Feb 15, 2012

Hamm's, it's a staple for disc golf trips

MarcusHalberstram likes this.
  14. VincentFrey

VincentFrey Savant (270) Maryland Jul 30, 2011

Genny Cream is a big favorite. Miller High Life. Otherwise being in MD I just pick up Stillwater Classique cans for six packs to keep on hand and share.

15. liane

liane Aspirant (45) Minnesota Jan 2, 2013

Genessee cream ale/Shiner Oktoberfest/Beck's Sapphire

16. CSpoons

CSpoons Aficionado (205) Delaware Nov 13, 2012

Killian's, haven't had it it years though.

17. mlhyatt

mlhyatt Savant (410) Georgia Jul 27, 2013

Shocktop. Say what you will but i'll drink a sixer if i'm going to a party. I start off the night with a nice stout though. Gotta get the good stuff in

18. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

I don't consider these beers to be crap, but some people might:

Grain Belt Premium
    Hauenstein
    Schell's Deer Brand
    Schell's Dark

19. cherche

cherche Savant (440) Washington Mar 27, 2013

Haha - amazing. I absolutely hate that beer but love that you like it :)

RobDB likes this.
  20. cherche

cherche Savant (440) Washington Mar 27, 2013

I do everyone one better and admit that every once in a great while I will order a Cider...I like Ciders...there, i said it.

it feels good.

RobDB likes this.
  21. dangle47

dangle47 Aficionado (150) New York May 16, 2007

No mention of Oympia yet? Well that's my go to "crap" beer of choice. I really don't consider beer i enjoy to be called crap, just cheap.

chinochino likes this.
  22. Keystone Ice! In college it was $9.99 for a 30-Pack and we always had to sneak it in the dorm. It made fat girls skinny and ugly girls pretty!;)

23. RIKIM

RIKIM Aficionado (185) Rhode Island Sep 23, 2013

Ice ice ice cold natural light on a 100 degree day.

24. TBYoung

TBYoung Disciple (70) Pennsylvania Jul 13, 2013

duquesne pilsner cuz its cheaper than pbr brewed locally and is all malt but i also like on occasion
    yeuingling amber lager
    schlitz gusto
    coors banquet
    highlife
    straub lager

Scrapss likes this.
  25. blbarnett3

blbarnett3 Savant (335) Virginia Jun 25, 2011

Shiner Bock got me through grad school back in the '80s. Beat the heck out of Lone Star or Pearl back in the day.

Aleforme likes this.
  26. Scrapss

Scrapss Advocate (620) Pennsylvania Nov 15, 2008

wow. you hit my (s)hit list with that post....

Yeungling lager
    schlitz
    high life LIGHT?!?
    Straub
    Genny Cream Ale

27. This was my dad's go to beer. He has since passed. Place near us has talls for $3 during happy hour. Glass not included nor needed. I always pour a little on the table for him. He always gets the first sip.

ZachOfAllTrades and dangle47 like this.
  28. kjlcm

kjlcm Savant (275) New Hampshire Jul 16, 2013

Miller lite - it is the goto beer on our buddies golf trip so we can drink beer from sun up to sun down!

29. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Olympia
    Summer of 1988 living in a small US forest service camper about 7 miles outside of tiny Medora, North Dakota. I was making roughly $15/day as a volunteer and Oly was about $8 case. Livin' large.
    Fond memory of when the Boy Scouts cruised this remote area asking for aluminum to recycle for a fundraiser. The look on their faces when I crawled underneath that trailer and started chunking out 30-gal leaf bags full of cans is something I'll never forget.

hardy008, chinochino and Scrapss like this.
  30. MosinMan762

MosinMan762 Aficionado (110) Ohio Oct 21, 2013

I remember sneaking into a bar in downtown Cincinnati after a Bengals game when I was 20... my also-underrage brother and I drank our weight in Becks. I'm guessing the bartender just assumed we were 21 when we ordered Becks rather than Miller Lite or whatever. Even now, almost 15 years later whenever we go into that bar we have to order a Becks. Great memories.

gobucks and chinochino like this.
  31. klaybie

klaybie Savant (275) Illinois Nov 15, 2009

The closest I get to what some may consider ''crap'' would be Heineken. I can count the number of times I've had an standard BMC AAL on one hand. I wouldn't turn down a Coors if it were offered though.

32. OLD STYLE!!! - How else are you supposed to handle a Cubs game??

Blatz - At my favorite bar in Grand Rapids, I always cap off the night with a Blatz

33. Heineken Light is my "diet" beer.
    I drink it in between sessions of heavy tasty craft beer.

34. lions head...wilkes barre represent

Scrapss likes this.
  35. Couldn't agree more, brother. Well said!

AnchorDrops and kingofhop like this.
  36. The first beer that made me go wow was Ebel's Weiss by Two Brothers Brewery. It's kind of a fruity beer and to be honest, isn't a crap beer by any means. I know my family and friends say it's too fruity for them but I have a soft spot for it since it was my first favorite craft beer since getting started on craft brews

37. I wouldn't be against downing a few Mickey's right now. And I'm with the OP on the Molsen, I remember I used to be all about that back in the day.

38. nc41

nc41 Advocate (660) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Narragansett

39. I drank the shit out of Sol, Corona Light, and Dos Equis when they were the cheap port of call beers after seeing Bud Light for $5.75 on the cruise shit. Not a long term soft spot, but damn sure a cruise-length one.

40. Narrangansett, Genny, and PBR are three beers I have no problem saying I like and purchasing from time to time (usually only when I'm looking to drink several beers). They're easily the best macro-ish brews out there, and while they're still not that amazing, for what they are and the price that you can pick them up at it's tough to argue. Also, they make me feel nostalgic (and I'm only 22...I feel like an old soul).

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
    Scrapss likes this.