1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Crawfish and beer

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Robertparker, Mar 13, 2012.

1. What is your favorite beer to drink while cooking and eating crawfish?
    For me Budweiser and crawfish go hand in hand. I am looking to try something new.

Thanks
  2. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I think beer and crawfish go hand in claw, but that's just me.

We don't get good fresh crawfish up here very often, but I'd probably pair it with Anchor Steam or SNPA.
    antlerwrestler19 likes this.
  3. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

I like Sierra Nevada Porter or Stout, something about the spicy boil and the roast does it for me.
  4. draheim

Tell me you chose your avatar because you just knew this thread was going to pop up eventually...
  5. Maybe a bock or a schwarzbier
  6. Haven't done crawfish in a while, but the last time I did I was drinking boatloads of Dixie Blackened Voodoo with dirty martini chasers. My connoseur's hat was definitely not on on that particular day, but the music was good and loud and mood was big fun!

Trying to move in a more culinary direction, I'm thinking that a good zippy wit would do the trick- it'll go down easy and all that but also provide an interesting counterpoint.
  7. mudbug

Ya, been waiting about three years too.
  8. draheim

And I've been waiting for someone to ask what Lao Tzu's favorite beer style was...
  9. I really wish we got decent crawfish in Spokane. I was just down in Daytona Beach last week and had a ton of them. I was drinking Bells Two Hearted. It was amazing. I tend to like IPA's with my seafood
  10. I love porters. I couldn't imagine drinking them for the hours a crawfish boil takes, but I am def willing to try. A bock sounds like a winner.
  11. futura123

futura123 Savant (330) California Jul 29, 2010

Tsingtao for sure ;)
  12. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

13. True story - I spent the summer between high school and college in Natchitoches, Louisiana. A friend of mine took me to a crawfish boil and I noticed nearly everyone drinking Miller High Life from the bottle. I asked my friend why everyone drank the same beer. He told me, "Everyone drinks Miller when eating crawfish because, if you drink your beer out of a dark bottle, people will stick crawfish in your beer and you won't notice until you take a swig."
  14. mudbug

Ya, those Cajuns are just a riot. (Louisiana has the best food in America.)
    Edit, I think that would probably improve the taste of the beer, but what a waste of a good crawdad
  15. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Savant (315) Colorado Jun 26, 2007

Abita Strawberry from the bottle or Abita Amber from the tap are the two best beers with bugs on a warm southern day
    Shagtastic likes this.
  16. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

Its not really sold in stores here in Maine, but when I spent some time in Virginia (and I know some of you Southerners don't think Virginia is in the South, but for me) I can't remember the name of the festival I was at in Norfolk but they had some cajun' crawfish and I had that with a Yuengling traditional and liked it.
  17. BeerSingh

BeerSingh Savant (405) India Jul 25, 2009

Kolsch
    Helles Lager
    Pilsner
    Saison
    Tripel

All will combine well IMO
  18. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (260) Texas Jan 22, 2013

Yeah saison, lagers and pilsners. Crawfish season is upon us!!
  19. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (510) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

I think I'd go with a Czech Pilsner.