1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Crazy Beer Prices in NYC

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by carps4, Jan 31, 2013.

1. carps4

carps4 Aficionado (100) New York Feb 27, 2012

$12 for a can of HT - Uncle Barry's
    $10 for a bottle of FBS - Downtown Bar and Grill, Rattle N Hum.

Unreal.....

2. theDoorManager

theDoorManager Aspirant (45) Oct 29, 2012

When someone reminds me to appreciate the the south, I appreciate them.

ilikebeer03 likes this.
  3. Its NYC, everything is expensive.

GoGators, ant880, gregkoko and 3 others like this.
  4. theDoorManager

theDoorManager Aspirant (45) Oct 29, 2012

Yeah, I had heard about crazy tobacco prices. But 10 dollar beers is like an end of times prophecy.

5. really i was just at founders yesterday and bought a 4 pack for 10 lol i guess a perk of living 30 mins from the brewery

6. As a Los Angeles BA'r I can tell you that I feel your pain.

7. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Pretty typical for NYC, nothing is really cheap.

8. Soontir

Soontir Aficionado (110) New York Jan 14, 2011

The Whole Foods at Columbus Circle was selling 4 packs of FBS for $10 last week. There's plenty of crazy prices out here, but some aren't too bad.

9. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

I go to The Happy Gnome in St. Paul every now and again. Awesome food and an AMAZING craft selection, but be ready to spend about $8+ for an 10oz pour of Breakfast Stout when you go there.

10. You are in a bar in New York City and the beer is expensive.
    Oh my God, what's next? Are you going to let us know that water is wet?

11. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Beer is a commodity and is tied to cost of living, which is high in NYC.

12. shawnohall

shawnohall Savant (330) Texas Nov 8, 2009

BA must post a beer acronym chart for us newbies. I figured out what FBS is (Founder's Breakfast Stout?), but what is HT?

13. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

HT is heady topper.

bar prices in NYC are usually like $1~2 higher than in boston.

NYC is pretty shitty beerwise, honestly. rattle n hum is nice, ginger man is alright, blind tiger is meh, the oddities like burp castle and stag's head are nice, and brooklyn has some good places (double windsor is good, spuyten duyvil too, bierkraft is cool, some smaller things like pacific standard and mugs are okay).

it seems like a decent variety, but most are indeed overpriced, the selection varies from week to week, and compared to boston, VT, and even some areas of CT it's not so hot. also, NYC isn't always that expensive. food and clothes aren't so bad if you're not into being ripped off.

SpeedwayJim likes this.
  14. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

Sure, but in NY making $100,000 a year is sort of normal.

That said, an educated consumer wins in NYC. You need to know the pitfalls. WF is your best bet for fair prices, followed by Good Beer. The markup everywhere else seems to be criminal

15. Why is this thread even still open? EVERYTHING is freggin" expensive in NYC. Please.

16. I pay more for Narragansett seasonals in Rhode Island than I did in Brooklyn.

17. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

In Long Island I pay 6.99

18. We all waited for beer to get the same treatment as wine. Well.....not too many people would scoff at ten dollar glass of good wine in NYC, a ten dollar bottle of high end beer should not shock us then. What scares me are the people who have money and will think high end beer is trendy. They will go and buy and pay whatever to get all the small releases thus driving up price and further decreasing supply to those of us who really appreciate fine beers.

carps4 likes this.
  19. masterofsparks

masterofsparks Advocate (515) Ohio Nov 15, 2009

I still remember being charged $8 for a Yuengling at CBGB (Yuengling and PBR were their cheapest beers at $8 apiece - I didn't even bother asking about other prices). Granted, I was in a tourist trap, but still, that was some mighty sticker shock for my midwestern wallet.

20. gregkoko

gregkoko Aficionado (235) New York Mar 12, 2010

RnH nice, G-Man alright, and Blind Tiger meh?

Me thinks you've mixed it up. Once upon a time RnH was amazing, but certainly no longer since Patrick left. They've completely fallen off. Blind Tiger 100% has the best events in Manhattan at this point. Just gotta deal with the crowds. I used to rag on Gingerman a bit, but at this point they're a hell of a lot better than RnH. I've enjoyed it more in the past year or so than in the past for sure.

21. In Communist Russia, Beer overpays for you!.

22. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

Manhattan is a rip off. However... My question to you is, what is a reasonable price for a 12 ounce of FBS at a bar?

23. Derranged

What's CBGB? What you mentioned sound like stadium prices.

24. rousee

rousee Advocate (520) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2004

Yeah well.. other than taxi fares, coffee and dry cleaning--NYC is more
    expensive for everything. The nighttime surcharge on taxis sort of negates the cab one too. Thank goodness they still have happy hour and many places do it all day not just for an hour or 2.

25. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (950) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

CBGB was a club where lots of bands used to play (I didn't think it was open any longer)...kind of an epicenter in the punk rock days.

ant880 and WassailWilly like this.
  26. Long closed [​IMG]

27. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

If you go to just about any bar serving craft beer here in Miami, you should be ready to spend at least $8 on any kind of higher alcohol beer.
    I'm actually surprised that the prices aren't much higher in NYC.

28. Essentially the same prices are common here in the Boston area. It's not just NY.

29. All true. It pays to stick your head out of the foxhole once in a while and shop around.

30. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

:eek: You did not just say that !! :D Boy NYC has changed.

31. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

completely correct. i hate BT because it's perpetually understaffed for the super packed bar, but it's easily the best for special events and cool kegs (psst... hill farmstead edward and arthur are on right now!) other than that, i pretty much stick to top hops and occasionally good beer. RNH has fallen way off. GM is fine.

$7.

carps4 and gregkoko like this.
  32. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

yeah, gingerman is the one with HF (as opposed to RnH). i guess my problem is being spoiled by boston and waterbury.
    p.s. event-wise, outside of my knowledge scope. rarely made any full on events at the better NYC bars actually.

33. Derranged

I don't live in NYC, I live in Yonkers. I go to Manhattan for partying sparingly.

34. that whole foods has a greeeeat selection too, did they finally finish the growler staion?
    i moved away about two years ago! i fucking miss that city

35. rollom

rollom Advocate (570) New York Jan 22, 2011

I bought a HT at Uncle Barry's. Paid the same at another bar as well. Did you pay for it and drink it? Or did you 'vote with your wallet' and walk away? My guess is the former.

And to be honest, I don't think 12 was all that bad. Most bars in NYC will charge $7-9 for a 10-12oz DIPA on tap. $12 is not that bad for 16oz of arguably the best DIPA currently being made. I've seen much worse examples of pricing in NYC. Try Fruet for $54 @ Beer Table Pantry.

36. phooky

phooky Savant (420) New York Jan 23, 2010

I thought the Alchemist didn't distro to NYC? I've been dying to try HT for a while now

37. dbrauneis

They do not regularly distribute to NYC but I know they have brought some to NY for events at different bars so it is available occasionally.

38. phooky

phooky Savant (420) New York Jan 23, 2010

Ah, good to know, thanks.Gonna have to stop by Uncle Barry's on my way home to finally pop my HT cherry!

Anyone know if they'll let me just buy the can to go?

39. dbrauneis

Not sure but it is delicious, so enjoy!

40. Be aware that those cans at Uncle Barry's are probably a few months old at this point.

BarRoomHero88, ant880 and jaIsPoAn like this.