1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Crazy Beer Prices in NYC

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by carps4, Jan 31, 2013.

1. phooky

phooky Member

Will do, thanks!
    I hope not :/ I'll check the freshness info and report back
  2. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Member

And now they are charging $13/4-pack. They are also charging $14 for Lagunitas Sucks, which is just stupid, and they are pricing the new Sam Adams "New Albion" release, MSRP of $8/6, for $11/6. Their pricing person clearly decided to start marking up like the other high-end beer shops in town, instead of like a grocery store.
  3. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Member

Probably not. I had my first HT at DeCicco's in Brewster for $8 and they opened it up before serving it to me. They also said I wasn't to leave the bar area with it but I guess if I wanted to take it home, I could take it home opened since they didn't make me give the can back after I finished it. After that can I was hooked so I took a road trip and picked up a case at the brewery for $3 a can.
  4. phooky

phooky Member

Regarding Sucks:

I found Sucks 2 weeks ago at 3 different bodegas in Brooklyn- Carroll Garden, Park Slope, Bay Ridge- all had it for $15 or more.

Checked yesterday near my work in central NJ- $9.xx a 6pk at Canals Woodbridge!!

3Beans same thing- $20 in Brooklyn, $13.xx in NJ.

Fuck NYC price gouging. it's worth the tolls to drive into NJ a week and stock up there.
  5. WiscoNYC

WiscoNYC Member

Where in BK is 3Beans $20? It's $9.99 everywhere near my apartment. And Sucks is either $12.99 or $13.99.
  6. WiscoNYC

WiscoNYC Member

And complaining about the price of beer in NYC vs other parts of the country is ridiculous. You pay to live in NYC and those stores also pay to be here. Rent here is drastically higher than it's going to be for a beer shop in other cities/states. But the stores here are still paying the same cost to their distributors as stores elsewhere. If they lowered their prices, they'd go out of business. Everything in NYC is more expensive. Does that suck? Yes. But we call choose to live here and it comes with the territory.
  7. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Member

Where was 3Beans $10? I've seen inverse pricing - paid $11 for Sucks, $15 for 3Beans.

I seriously want to put together a price-tracking app, like gasbuddy for beer.
  8. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Member

3Beans is 10 bucks at the C Town on 5th ave and 75th st in Bay Ridge. I bought 3 packs of it when I realized they had mispriced it.
  9. FlamingMoe

FlamingMoe Member

You were in an expensive Manhattan beer bar. I've lived here for over 7 years now and have come to know what to expect and what is overpriced even for nyc standards. I don't pay more than 8 dollars for a beer at a bar out of principle and its pretty rare I encounter an 8 dollar beer unless its something special or high ABV. Granted I pretty much only go out in Brooklyn (and I did not intend for that to sound snobby.)

And to whoever said nyc isn't a great place for beer, I'm going to have to disagree. Almost every bar, deli, or grocery store you go to these days has craft options and if you know where to look there's some really awesome beers to be had all the time.
  10. FlamingMoe

FlamingMoe Member

Where were you getting Sucks for 11? I've only seen it for 13.99 at multiple places. Seems like someone just mistakenly priced it inline with other Lagunitas regulars.
  11. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Member

Key Food on Flatbush near Sterling, I think.
  12. joshwars

joshwars Member

Feel lucky you are not in some shithole like the Gansevoort rooftop paying $15 for a Stella. Its NYC, deal.
    sandman3479 and Franch like this.
  13. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Member

I agree there is awesome beer to be had in NYC if you know where to look and most places carry some sort of craft option. Still, NYC craft beer culture and selection pale in comparison to other big cities in the US (Boston, San Diego, Minneapolis, Chicago, Washington DC... and on and on and on).
    gregkoko likes this.
  14. mark14580

mark14580 Member

complains about the price of a $10 beer, pays $2000 a month in rent.

Also, what's CBGB? Sad.
    ant880 and SpeedwayJim like this.
  15. ant880

ant880 Member

FTFY
  16. PaulMcConnell

PaulMcConnell Member

Dammit, I was just in there the other day looking for Sucks and there wasn't any. Is there anywhere else in the Park Slope area that has it? I've had it on tap but haven't found any bottles at all.

That Key Food used to be my favorite spot for decent priced beer. All Lagunitas stuff is usually 10.49 and I got Bigfoot last year for I think 12. Oh well.
  17. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Member

I haven't seen sucks for a week or so - the first batch must be gone. That said, it IS going to year-round distribution, so don't get down - while it may never get the wide distribution of the IPA, you'll probably be able to find it with the same accessibility as Little Sumpin' Sumpin'. Chin up!

Speaking of Bigfoot - why the hell hasn't it appeared in NYC yet?
  18. BklynTerp

BklynTerp Member

I love this post. Thanks for coming in today.
    Crookdrain likes this.
  19. phooky

phooky Member

I know its not Park Slope, but Sucks is at the BEEEEER store on Court St. btwn 1st and 2nd. $15.
  20. mark14580

mark14580 Member

Use this: http://greatbrewers.com/beer-finder/97748
  21. BklynTerp

BklynTerp Member

In the past couple days I've been to 6 different stores looking for Sucks and haven't found any. Then I see this post and theres 3 places within 10 blocks that have it. Awesome link, thanks.
  22. joehill

joehill Member

i just bought some Sucks tonight at the bodega at 5th Ave and Garfield in Park Slope. $3 per bottle or $15.99 for a 6pack.

The Park Slope Food Coop has really ramped up their beer buying over the past 2 years. It's not very reliable what they're going to have, but there's always some pretty great stuff for really really cheap.
  23. Davidsoul

Davidsoul Member

Uncle Barry's will not let you buy HT to go. And according to them they bought their current stock just after new years. They had a small quantity in Dec that sold out immediately so they got a ton more in early Jan.
  24. phooky

phooky Member

Park Slope: The bodega on 8th around the block from Pavilion Theater still has Sucks! 3Beans too.
  25. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Member

Kensington/Windsor Terrace - the gas station on Fort Hamilton Parkway and McDonald Avenue has Sucks for $12.99, Ruthless Rye for $12.99, and 3Beans for $14.99. Just checked it out this morning on my long run to the park.
  26. joehill

joehill Member

Park Slope Food Coop prices: $10.56 for a 6pack of Sucks, and $12.28 for a box of 3Beans
  27. carps4

carps4 Member

I lived here long enough and I can't believe what these bars are trying to pull. I'm sorry but paying 10 bucks for a bf stout at a bar is just insane. Paying 12 bucks for heady is just crazy......I will just make the drive to VT. I'm sure founders and the alchemist would be blown away at those prices. Anyways, I'm just venting.
  28. Franch

Franch Member

if i hadn't had heady ever or for a long time i'd probably pay $12 for one.
    sandman3479 likes this.
  29. scott10010

scott10010 Member

I might too.

This post about insane NYC beer prices is lacking insane NYC beer prices. For your consideration -

1) In an outer-borough, no less! -
    Cantillon Vigneronne 5oz. Draft 5.0 $9.00
    2) How about an $11 Bud Light?
    http://ny.eater.com/archives/2013/01/bud_light_index.php

$10 is a little high for a bottle of FBS. Usually 8 in a bar. Not insane.
  30. BklynTerp

BklynTerp Member

FWIW Sucks was only $10.99 at the grocery on 80th and 5th in Bay Ridge
    Crookdrain likes this.
  31. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Member

Nice that's on my corner. I know where to go tonight if I run dry during the blizzard.
  32. sandman3479

sandman3479 Member

It's $7.50 to $8 a can in Burlington, VT. That's roughly 25 minutes away from the brewery. $10-$12 doesn't seem that bad for NYC...
  33. brooklynbrews

brooklynbrews Member

yup not a terrible bar price as long as it's actually from January. :)
    sandman3479 likes this.
  34. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Member

Fourth Avenue Pub just got some fresh Heady in - $12/can. Still easier to probably just trade for, but whatever, I've also paid $12/bottle for Pliny at Pacific Standard.
    brooklynbrews likes this.
  35. brooklynbrews

brooklynbrews Member

Yeah it's certainly not a bargain buy or anything, but if you've got the hunger for some Heady it's not a complete ripoff :)
  36. jrnyc

jrnyc Member

Even for an area that has high prices, this qualifies as obscene:

Singlecuts Brewery
    $26 for a 64 oz growler fill of their DIPA

For the growler itself with no beer they charge $20!!!
    BeerWorld likes this.
  37. brooklynbrews

brooklynbrews Member

That growler will fold your laundry and order takeout for you though. Thing is elite.
  38. BklynTerp

BklynTerp Member

Hah, Im a block away. Just picked up another 6 since I finished that one last night. There was only 1 left in the fridge there....
  39. MysteryWest

MysteryWest Member

Really? You don't remember CBGB's?
  40. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Member

That's ok, I just cracked my BA Bigfoot to ride out the storm.