1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Crazy Stallion/Horse?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by diesel59, Jan 29, 2013.

1. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

Is crazy stallion... crazy horse of days past..... I used to drink crazy horse about 20 years ago in NY... where I still reside........... but I haven't seen either of these in a long, long time.... any info and availablity would be great............. thank you...

2. Found some 24 oz. cans of Crazy Stallion at a liquor store in Colorado Springs while driving home from GABF last year, so it is still out there. Name was changed after complaints but not sure about the recipe.

3. They have Crazy Stallion here in Michigan, But typically only in the Liquor Stores in the ghetto part of town. I thought the stuff was almost as bad as steel reserve. Tasted like I took a big ole bite out of a steel bar.

4. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Pretty sure you should be able to find Neil Young with Crazy Horse at any good music shop ;)

stayclean and jodan like this.
  5. Hoovers seems to think so:
    Ferolito, Vultaggio & Sons (best known for Arizona Ice Tea) owned both labels, marketed them under their dba of "Hornell Brewing Co." and used the La Crosse, WI brewery owned by Heileman > Stroh > City as their contract brewer. Whether or not the beer is still brewed to the original recipe/abv is something only FVS could answer but the labels certainly suggest that they wanted consumers to think it was the same product.

[​IMG]

6. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

I see you're from Dutchess County. Maybe you'd find it in Poughkeepsie? I don't think Carmel has many minorities (I could be wrong), whereas Poughkeepsie does and that's who malt liquor is marketed to.

I'm down in Yonkers and I saw it recently at a gas station.

I remember drinking Crazy Horse back in the mid-90s. Of all the malt liquors I've had, that was the toughest to get down. The second, and I mean the second it was no longer ice cold, vodka flavors would surface.

7. I drank the hell out of crazy horse back in the day! I'd bring a few 40's to the beach on Long Island and watch the girlies go by.

Jwale73 likes this.
  8. diesel59

ironically... down by the river and cowgirl in the sand are two of my favorite songs

aasher likes this.
  9. diesel59

thank you.... you are the official beer encyclopedia:D

10. diesel59

good times my friend.......... good times............

Thickfreakness likes this.
  11. It's funny how I can imagine that slapped in the cooler at 7-11 right next to all the Arizona junk.

12. warrenout330

warrenout330 Aficionado (240) Ohio Oct 19, 2012

I sell it in my store, I'm not a ghetto store. I carry it for one Guy .... tried it, taste like water with caramel malt and a tad alcohol note