1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Critic's Choice Top 12

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by spicelab, Mar 27, 2012.

1. spicelab

spicelab Savant (425) Australia Nov 6, 2009

Kind of the eleventh hour for this - but who wants to have a guess on what #3 is going to be?

I think we all know what #1 and #2 are going to be.

For those that haven't seen, the top 12 so far:
    4. Holgate Temptress
    5. Bridge Road Chevalier Saison
    6. Little creatures Big Dipper
    7. Matilda Bay Alpha
    8. Knappstein
    9. Mountain Goat Hightail
    10. Murray's Angry Man Pale
    11. Coopers Vintage
    12 Bridge Road / Nogne O India Saison

I'm going with Kooinda Black IPA, but not confidently!
  2. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

3. spicelab

D'oh! Doubtless that's it.

Still interested in seeing what the order of the top 3 is.
  4. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

stone and wood, LCPA, Hop Hog.
  5. Really? Coopers Vintage? That seemed like a pile of yuck. Can't wait to see S&W take this. Talk about filling a niche...

Still waiting to try Temptress. Can't seem to find it anywhere at the moment.
  6. ...also, why on earth is hop hog not on there? If it's not one of the best IPAs I've had in a long time, I don't know what to think of this scene.
  7. Presumably Hop Hog is one of three remaining, tbeckett. But not everyone loves it. I certainly prefer Coopers Vintage to it. :eek:
  8. MrKennedy

I wouldn't say its a lay down misere though. Still some good beers that haven't appeared on that list.
  9. hmmm, so Wild Thing too leftfield for this list? - i.e. not in line with Beer Geeks both here and on RB?
  10. MrKennedy

Not sure, can't find anything on a quick search to see who the 39 critics are as to whether it is too "leftfield"
  11. mulder1010

last year it was way down on the list. it was in the top 100 but not in the 30's.
    These are critics and for a book. So the beers will be a bit more delicate and approachable. Reality is Imperial Stouts are not going to be as hip as a APA or IPA. Beer geeks know better
  12. MrKennedy

Number 3 just announced:

3. Little Creatures Pale Ale
    4. Holgate Temptress
    5. Bridge Road Chevalier Saison
    6. Little creatures Big Dipper
    7. Matilda Bay Alpha
    8. Knappstein
    9. Mountain Goat Hightail
    10. Murray's Angry Man Pale
    11. Coopers Vintage
    12 Bridge Road / Nogne O India Saison

Edit: Actually giving it some more thought it seems a little odd seeing Big Dipper in there as there is no guarantee it will be made again, so a person would buy the book, read the tasting notes and then go searching for a beer that is no longer around.
  13. mulder1010

it was an approachable IPA, errrrrrrrr, DIPA. Nose of a DIPA but body of an IPA. Still a good beer.
    This is about getting people onto craft. They will not find the Dipper but will find the next small batch beer and will buy it due to name.
  14. spicelab

There must be a hidden stash somewhere, because the Brewsnews website states:

"Select venues around the country will be launching the Critics’ Choice by featuring the top 12 beers on March 30."

:cool:
  15. MrKennedy

Oh there are people and places that hoard in this country:)
  16. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

Oh man, the whole Big Dipper thing is ridiculous. People still coming in asking for it. We sold out on launch day, which is what... six months ago?
  17. I think the India Saison is also a one-off - tho might be wrong.
  18. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Wouldn't be surprised if it's still on shelves around Glebe somewhere
  19. I've seen somewhere that the India Saison will be brewed again (and soon).
  20. MordeciaFunk

MordeciaFunk Savant (260) Australia Feb 14, 2012

Yes, the Saison is available. At least I hope so or I shudder to think what is in the kegs we have. We have managed to get 7 of the top 10 on tap. Sadly no Coopers or LC DIPA is left and obviously Knappstein is in bottles. Re. the 39 that voted Mr Kennedy. I trust them all. I saw the list (not in order) when it was decided upon, and it's been tough keeping silent... It is good to have something like this though and hopefully entice a few more people into craft brews. Damn hard organising to get all the beers to the pub on time though.
  21. MordeciaFunk

2. Pacific Ale. Who would of guessed....
  22. mulder1010

23. MrKennedy

I see Hop Hog nabbed the top spot.

Bit of a sidenote: I was going to buy some Hop Hog on Monday night and couldn't find a bottling or best before date on it. Is there anyway to tell how fresh it is? The store wasn't a prominent craft beer place, so i wasn't sure they'd turn it over that quickly.
  24. spicelab

I've looked before and haven't found one.

It is a huge bummer, but with the modest size of the Aussie craft market I can understand why brewers are reluctant to bottle date - yet.
  25. MrKennedy

Thanks, i know my eyes are rubbish, so that is reassuring:)

I had a feeling that packaged beer was supposed to have best before date on it at the least; and that the date of bottling was something that brewers chose to do.
  26. MrKennedy

From what i can gather, Murrays had 8 beers featured in the book:

Angry Man Pale Ale
    Punch & Judy’s
    Grand Cru
    Icon 2IPA
    Shawn’s Fault India Black Ale
    Anniversary Ale 5
    Heart of Darkness Oak Aged Belgio Imperial Stout
    Angry Man Brown Ale

So not only did Wild Thing not make the top 12, it wasn't in their top 100...
  27. I suppose it depends on the voting system a bit, but that is quite surprising.
  28. MordeciaFunk

The voting system worked on the basis of each person picking their top 50 beers. number 1 got 50 votes all the way to number 50 getting 1 vote.

The system does lend itself to the more accessible beers. It would be difficult for me to vote for Murray's Wild Thing as I'm yet to have it. Sadly due to the nature of the craft beer beast, some brewers (Wig and Pen esp.) are just not going to be able to win things like this.

The whole idea of the book/competition is to get people to talk and experiment with things that they havent tried before. There were a couple of beers in there that I have never even heard of. The tyranny of distance I suppose....