Crooked Stave Cellar Reserve Members ?

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by claspada, Mar 7, 2013.

1. denver10

denver10 Champion (910) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Given that getting first dibs at all public Crooked Stave releases has never been one of the associated perks with being a member, I don't see the point in this argument.

In the same light, the whole Trustee relationship is also moot in this case. I get why they would want to be able to hook someone up with that they have some level of a relationship with, but given that this is not part of the membership program, they really don't have to do anything or owe anyone else anything.

2. I never said they owed it to members. It just would have been a nice perk. Members can buy Surette online, just for ease, for example. Not all fans of CS live in CO. I am one of their biggest fans, so I am just hoping to try some Violet.

3. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (350) Colorado May 30, 2006

I totally understand your point. I think the biggest rub here is caused by the delay in the release of Violet. It's a part of the series from quite awhile ago (even pre-Cellar Reserve), so I think they're treating this release like they did the other 6 beers in the series for continuity/consistency. I don't think this will happen with beers in the future--see the Origins release.

I'm sure you'll be able to get a bottle of the Violet since there is a 6 bottle limit and, while I know it's a bummer to have to "trade" for it, I think Chad/Crooked Stave was kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place when choosing how to run this release. I'm confident that there's enough to go around that we'll all end up happy. Cheers!

4. You, sir, are a gentleman.

5. denver10

denver10 Champion (910) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

I get why heads would be disappointed at not getting to try this beer, but this release was not ever a part of the membership package, nor did the membership ever include the perk of getting first dibs at any new, public release, so I just don't buy the argument that members should be given first dibs (special access) for this beer. Its a high demand, not going to be enough in supply release (it would appear) and I would imagine CS wants to ensure that this becomes available to the public, which is probably why it isn't available on line like a more widely produced Surette has been. If you want to argue this should have been a part of the members club, that would be a whole other argument (that I think coreymcafee addressed quite well).

And it is not just you out of states that are at a disadvantage. I live in Colorado and won't be able to grab any of this either since I won't be able to hit up CS to grab some that day.

coreymcafee likes this.
  6. ablackshear

ablackshear Savant (260) Colorado Sep 17, 2010

No simple way to do this. This release is being handled differently than all the others, but like corey said it's all because of the delay. It was never included in the membership, nor implied that members would have any special access, but it would be nice if trustees could get a bottle for the out of state members without reducing their own number of bottles (I am not a trustee btw), but there's probably not a good way to handle that logistically.

Curious how many reserve society members are not in CO

coreymcafee likes this.
  7. bugdoc

bugdoc Savant (265) California Apr 4, 2011

Just based on the size of the spreadsheet my trustee is currently rocking to keep track of things, I'd say a LOT.

8. JMagee

JMagee Aficionado (200) New York Jan 2, 2013

Just based on the ratio of people commenting on this issue with Colorado vs. out-of-state reserve members, my guess would be ~20-30%. Of course all the disclaimers such as small sample size, BA is not representative of the entirety of the membership pool apply, so it's just a guess.

I have no objection as to how the WWBV release is going. I was lucky enough to try a bottle of WWBI when I was in town for GABF last year and thought it was delicious. But there's simply not enough time, money or liver enzymes to try every beer in the world.

The only thing that bothers me is the allocation seems high. Someone can by 0.4% of a one off release beer. That doesn't seem fair to me, and I'm not going to get any of it, regardless. In my head an open release with an allocation of 6pp is not as different as an online sale with an allowance of 6 per person. The limit number seems to be restricting just as many people from getting a bottle

9. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,075) Colorado May 19, 2005

What we got here is failure to communicate ;)

All this is becoming confusing. We have beers available only to Members. Beers available first to Members. Beers that are small batches, but not reserved for members. Varying timetables. Bottle limits. And release parties with no bottle share. Next year CS may have to streamline the whole Members rewards and release schedules. I'm a Member and am quite lost (as usual).

HuskyinPDX likes this.
  10. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (350) Colorado May 30, 2006

I like it when you're confused. That's when I swoop in and purchase all of your beer.

ablackshear, denver10 and drlovemd87 like this.
  11. ablackshear

ablackshear Savant (260) Colorado Sep 17, 2010

I'm in ur roy-g-biv day, killin ur doodz buying all ur beers

coreymcafee likes this.
  12. Mebuzzard

Ha! Luckily my trusty sidekick Domingo is on the case (or, maybe I'm his sidekick). By the by, any word on the Source opening?

13. tjmodica

tjmodica Savant (410) Texas Oct 2, 2007

My trustee said he will take care of his mother on May 12th and be at the Violet release on May 19th, thats my boy. If I can afford it, yea I will take one or two but if I don't get any, the sun will come up tomorrow.

14. spodavck1

spodavck1 Aficionado (105) Colorado Jun 22, 2010

Anyone need a WWBI to round out their collection? PM me, I have an extra in my cellar. Should be at the release if I can convince my co-workers to stay in town for an extra day. Theoretically an easy task once I mention there's sour beer.. lots of it. :)

chugalug06 likes this.
  15. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (470) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

I could use a WWBI, could do a trade at the release or another time if you can't make it.

16. fiedler84

fiedler84 Savant (310) Pennsylvania Dec 23, 2011

4 Minutes for the extra Petite Sour w/Hibiscus&Cinnamon Peach/Apple Whsky to sell out, 5 minutes for the Surette Reserva Peach Whiskey Barrel extra's to sell out. Can't wait to try these.

17. Damn you guys are fast! It took me a few minutes and the Peach brews are sold out already. I am curious how many were left over.

18. Did anyone else purchase before the email went out at 10:11am?

19. drlovemd87

drlovemd87 Savant (265) Colorado Aug 6, 2009

This guy right here did. I bought mine at 10:01 MST.

20. bushmat2

bushmat2 Aficionado (135) Colorado Feb 18, 2011

I apologize if this question is buried in this chain, but for the additional bottle release for members today, the emails keep saying "Previous Bottle Limits Still Apply". I am assuming that we can repurchase up to the same amount as before. Meaning if I maxed out in round 1, I could in theory max out in round 2, correct?

Cheers

Matt

21. drlovemd87

drlovemd87 Savant (265) Colorado Aug 6, 2009

Yes, that's correct.

22. That's correct. I think a decent percentage of people didn't max the first time since that would have been 26 bottles, and 50if you maxed on Surrette and St Bretta. That's a lot of beer to ship if you're out of state. I know a certain BA who had a bit of a deer in the headlights look when I saw him at CS and asked how many people he's trusteeing for! I was worried a bit and Im only trusteeing for two. Luckily one is flying up from TX for the release. .....Cool story bro!

23. I was on at 10am and purchase made at 10:01am

24. JMagee

JMagee Aficionado (200) New York Jan 2, 2013

I'm curious as to how many Petite Sour and Peach Surette's were actually left. Those seemed to be the most exciting ones and the two beers that most people probably bought their full share of in round 1. It wouldn't surprise me if there were only a couple dozen of each remaining to start.

That being said, now Surette and St. Bretta are gone. So people are buying like mad

25. mklever42

mklever42 Savant (310) Colorado Apr 28, 2012

YESSIR. I got my email at 9:59am but I was ready to pounce at 10am.

26. Same here. I got my confirmation email at 10:02. I didn't max again this time on NoB.

27. mklever42

mklever42 Savant (310) Colorado Apr 28, 2012

Me either. I maxed the 3 bottle limits, but only purchased an additional 2 of NoB and Origins Grand Cru

28. I did the exact same.

29. adkieffer

adkieffer Savant (410) Washington Nov 23, 2010

Time to start stashing money away for the next release! :-D

30. Up next is WWBV ;)

31. adkieffer

adkieffer Savant (410) Washington Nov 23, 2010

Ha! I have my Trustee already on the case since it isn't a member release. Then I will get my first box of goodies, shortly followed by all my beer from the June 2nd release. Gonna be a good month!

32. fiedler84

fiedler84 Savant (310) Pennsylvania Dec 23, 2011

89ish and 101ish, respectively.

33. Mebuzzard

Ummm....what email? :cool: