1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Crooked Stave Sours - What do they trade for?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by Pete27lax, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Pete27lax

Pete27lax Savant (315) New York Jul 13, 2011

Had Petite Sour recently and loved it! I'd like to trade for more and other Crooked Stave bottles like it but don't know how available they are. I know beers such as Persica and the WWB series and pretty hard to come by but are beers like Petite sour and Oculus just regular shelf beers in the Denver area?

Thanks for the help!
  2. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I got a Wild Wild Brett as an extra in a trade.
  3. Some are shelf beers and some are just reserve member only releases. Stuff like Oculus was sold only at the brewery where their last three beers were also sold in stores but they went pretty fast. I'm sure you might still be able to find L'Brett D'Or or Nightmare on Brett (bourbon) in a store but most places are sold out. They are both sold out at the brewery.

Fwiw, I usually trade for shelf or limited release stuff
  4. If you have access to any good local sours (I generally tend to trade style for style) you should be able to get some. I traded pretty much the whole Cisco Woods line to get some Crooked Stave stuff. I feel CS beers are going to go up in value as more people get the opportunity to try them.
    Pete27lax likes this.
  5. AlexFields

AlexFields Savant (465) Tennessee Dec 13, 2009

I've offered a wide range of Jackie O's beers, Armand'4, limited Bruery stuff, Cascade sours, etc., trying to get some of these, and had zero bites after several tries. So apparently Oculus and the WWB series take more than Zomer or bourbon Dark Apparition or Rum Oil to trade for lol.

Seriously though I would be interested to hear what specific trades have happened recently involving some of the WWB beers, Oculus, Batch 1, etc.
  6. Quackus

Quackus Savant (335) New York Mar 28, 2012

My experience has been that it varies substantially.

Oculus, Blackberry Petite Sour, Batch 1 and, especially, Persica are difficult to trade for and have required some decent ammunition (HF beers, primarily).

The others (the WWB beers, etc.) are much easier to acquire.
  7. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

With all Crooked Stave stuff it is going to be a matter of finding the right person at the right time. Most of the WWB beers were only on shelves for a month or so because the batches were so small. So at this point it is just tough to find people that still have bottles that they aren't cellaring for a rainbow tasting.

Oculus, Batch 1.... were a little harder to find, mostly brewery only and I know Batch 1 sold out a while ago, not sure about Oculus.

Persica, was super limited and everybody really wanted it, that one is going to be extremely difficult to land at this point. But they have said they are releasing another batch this year so I think you will have a better chance then.

So I don't think the issue here is that it takes more than an Armand4 or BA Jackie O's, I think the issue is that there is just not that much to go around. You are talking about a couple hundred to a thousand bottles, released in a city of ~3 million, not to mention Fort Collins, Boulder and Colorado Springs all within about an hour, it just means that there are not a lot of "extras" out there.

Also, the beers taste really good and are very affordable (less than $20 for the most expensive 750) so my guess is that the majority of them are consumed in Colorado.
  8. Chad said like last year Persica is a members only brew. Unfortunately even though they are switching to 375ml bottles that there won't be any extra to purchase outside of the member's allotment. Hoping there might be extra but not counting on it.

I will say that it was easier to get when the brewery was less known. Now the beers hit the shelves and they are gone. As an example the Nightmare on Brett (bourbon) was on the shelves at stores and brewery and was sold out in 2-3 weeks. L'Brett D'Or lasted a bit longer but sold out this last Friday at the brewery. You might be able to find a bottle or two at a store but not in any quantities.
  9. unclejazz

unclejazz Advocate (520) New York Oct 24, 2011

I just worked out a deal for WWBI and Surette for a bottle of Cherry rye. They were pretty much $4$ and both parties are happy.
  10. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (655) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Sounds about right. It does entirely depend on what's being released. As of now there aren't any CS bottles available of any of the releases except Saison. Nearly all the sours are sold out.
  11. fortsambo

fortsambo Savant (250) Colorado Feb 14, 2011

Trade for some L'Brett D'or. It's a very recent release, had some limited distribution, and is fucking aweosme.
  12. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

Got a Blackberry Petite as a part of a larger trade involving two of my BADLs.
  13. codysjb

codysjb Savant (400) Florida Jun 16, 2010

I traded some moat water, Imperial Sweet Stout and Marshal Z for Batch 1 and WWBI. Persica seems to be a horse of a different color but the rest are fairly attainable for semi limited shelf beers.