1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Crooked Stave

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by AlexFields, Dec 22, 2012.

1. AlexFields

AlexFields Advocate (550) Tennessee Dec 13, 2009

I'm getting back into trading after a long hiatus and seem to have missed the whole Crooked Stave thing. I'm interested in some of their beers but I don't really know anything about how they were released, what they command in trade value, etc. Persica is obviously really sought after, but what about some of the other stuff, the Wild Wild Brett series and Oculus, etc.? How were these released, what kind of bottle counts, and what does it take to trade for them?

2. Should be pretty easy to trade for. A lot of the WWB series is sold out. Might be able to find some WWBB and WWBI on the shelves still but you need to look for it. Oculus is sold out but will be released again this next year. Some of the stuff like Petite Sour should be easier to find.

They did just release 3 new beers this week, L'Brett d'Or (fantastic sour), Nightmare on Brett bourbon version and a Saison. Bottles are 375ml and $12 (Saidson was $6) at the brewery.

3. AlexFields

Cool, thanks for the info.

Was Persica more limited or did it just sell out really fast because of hype?

4. Only released to the cellar reserve members. It will be released to the cellar members again this year (1st quarter). They switched to 375ml bottles so it might be easier to get. I will say that is the best beer they make. Well worth the hype.

5. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Persica isn't really *hyped* to be fair, it is just great. I had a small glass of it and was all I needed to join for 2013.

6. AlexFields

Looks like cellar reserve membership is still available for 2013--makes me wish I had an extra $300 right now. :)

7. AlexFields

By "hype" I didn't mean overrated, I was just wondering if it was a case of a shelf beer selling out really quick after people realized how good it is (though obviously that wasn't the case).

8. Join. I don't think you'll regret it. Stopped in yesterday to get a few beers for the holidays. The wife gave me the look when I walked into the house with 2 cases. Most are for other BAs that don't make it to the brewery.

9. are you sure about the switch to 375? the reserve society info specifically says 750.

i'm also unclear on whether or not i'll be able to buy more of the allotted beers or is it just 1 per person?

10. I was told earlier that they are switching to 375ml bottles. I was going to ask them yesterday when I was in there but it was packed (and I wasn't the only one walking out with at least a case).

11. well i hope it comes with 2 of them then lol

12. forgetfu

forgetfu Savant (280) Colorado Jul 27, 2007

It did say 750's, but that's still being discussed. Since they moved from Funkwerks into their own space, they have a 375 bottling system. I prefer the 375's for a lot of reasons (more accessible / easier to open by myself, easier for people to share a membership, bottles available for me to send to my regular trading partners, etc.). I find myself drinking CS beers a lot more because they're 375's.

I don't know that there's a final answer on the 750 thing, but i do know they don't currently have 750 capabilities yet.

Also, re: Persica...it's going to be even better this year. Last year was a WWBO base (which was a one-off), this year it's a L'Brett D'Or base IIRC. I can't wait!

13. After drinking the L'Brett d'Or I can't wait for the Blackberry version.

14. these all sound so delicious!

15. woodchopper

woodchopper Savant (365) Illinois Jul 31, 2010

I love crooked stave.........

16. If you like the aroma of blackberries mixed with cheese and vomit, trade for a bottle of Blackberry Petite Sour. :cool:

Penguin3200 and AlexFields like this.
  17. jp7161

jp7161 Savant (345) California Dec 22, 2011

I've had this beer more than once and didn't find the aroma unpleasant at all. I thought the beer was great.

youbrewidrink likes this.
  18. BAstoutsNsours

BAstoutsNsours Initiate (0) Florida Sep 21, 2012

ISO: Blackberry Petite Sour

19. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (515) Missouri May 11, 2012

I've got a WWBB to trade...

20. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Real proud of you?

denimdemon likes this.
  21. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (515) Missouri May 11, 2012

I'll prob just drink it. Friend who came to town gave it to me. Sounds tasty from the description

22. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (725) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

My understanding is that this beer went through an unfortunate stage where butyric acid / esters had been produced but not yet cleaned up. This isn't uncommon for wild beers, but usually the brewers / blenders make sure the beer is past that stage before releasing it.

FWIW, the bottle that I got to try was great, and had none of those aromas.

23. I got the chance to try a bottle of Blackberry Petite Sour and it was good, but I think that WWBI was way better!

24. From the Cellar Reserve Membership site:

"The 2013 Membership will include 10 different (750 ml) bottles to be released throughout the year."

Is there really speculation that this will be reduced to 375ml bottles? That wouldn't bother me if they gave 2 375ml bottles as opposed to one 750ml bottle for the membership bottles...I plan on splitting the membership anyway.

25. forgetfu

forgetfu Savant (280) Colorado Jul 27, 2007

I'm at the brewery at least weekly. My statement above is accurate. They currently have 375 capabilities. They are discussing whether or not the cellar reserve beers will be in 750's in the future. It was posted in the email as you quoted, but that's still being debated.

26. Thanks - I read the whole thread but 'conveniently' forgot what you had mentioned above. All that talk about blueberries and cheese and vomit distracted me. :oops:

forgetfu likes this.
  27. And we've ordered. Between Bruery RS, Crooked Stave RS and general trading, shipping is going to be a bitch this year.

28. Crooked Stave just posted on their FB page that it will be 375ml bottles in 2013.

Beerontwowheels likes this.
  29. AlexFields

Did they say if that means cellar members will get two bottles of each instead of one?

30. Doesn't say but you'll get two. Same volume.

31. AlexFields

Okay I'm on the fence about doing this, one more question: is it a pretty reasonable expectation that there will be extra bottles of each cellar reserve beer available to purchase? How many of each bottle did cellar reserve members get to buy last year?

32. i am wondering about this as well

33. kiki3drt292

kiki3drt292 Savant (360) California Jan 13, 2011

last year you were able to buy extra bottles of every release. most often only one or two (3-4 once they moved to the 345 ml formats). Unlimited amounts of what is available to the public at the taproom.

34. ChadCSU

ChadCSU Aficionado (125) Colorado Aug 28, 2007

Originally I had planned to release 2013 member beers in the 750 ml format champagne style bottles, same as our earlier stuff. General consensus from our current and future members is that they prefer 375 ml which we are currently using. All the better as our custom 375 ml bottling machine is more sophisticated then the 750 ml one we use to use and this way members get 2, 375 ml bottles as standard allocation. If you are on the fence about a membership, we are close to selling out, under 40 left last I checked.

For the 2013 Member year, Persica and the Apple Whisky Barrel Aged Sour are the only two currently which may not have extra allocations available. Only 2 oak barrels of each. It has been the goal of the Cellar Reserve membership to make available limited small run barrel aged beers. This 2013 member year, every release will be a member exclusive, not even making it to our taproom, given the speed at which members purchase extra allocations. Most releases for this coming year should have 3-4 extra bottles that can be purchased, or more if some members don't exercise their right to purchase within a given time. While its not an extra case of each beer, you know you are getting a beer which is not produced in larger quantities but instead was carefully planned and has the added thought in which we for example go and hand harvest grapes, or pick small quantities of fruit from the western slope or a local Denver producer to use in small amounts with specific barrels. This allows us to keep the beers innovative and quality driven. With that said, there is still plenty of year left in which to make barrel-aged sour fruit blends. Like Cantillon we only age on fruit for up to 3 months.. That means there is still plenty of fruit sours and Persica like beers which can/could be produced this year, as part of the cellar reserve.. Regardless members get first shot at all our limited release beers from the Barrel Cellar. I can tell you this week I'm blending Origins our Burgundy sour and racking some into Leopold Bros Maryland Rye and Small Batch Whiskey Barrels to eventually make a grand cry blend from, and our Dark sour into another set of the same barrels to also a make a Nightmare on Brett Grand Cru blend as well.

Plenty of more ideas rolling around in our cellar, all in all for those who are already members its going to be a great year of releases and plenty of bottle shares to be had!

Cheers,
    Chad

35. thanks for the info chad. 2 375s is definitely way way better (except for my trustee maybe) so that's great news.

i'm so excited all these beers sound amazing

36. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Savant (350) Colorado May 30, 2006

I'm sure your trustee will find a way to deal with it...he's a pretty resourceful guy :)

goodbetterbestbested likes this.
  37. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (470) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

Have there been any updates on the release for the Persica? Probably still dont have a chance in hell on getting one, but still interested.

38. Not until the 2nd half of April last I heard.

Penguin3200 likes this.
  39. BAstoutsNsours

BAstoutsNsours Initiate (0) Florida Sep 21, 2012

I see you live in Kentucky, just go on down to your local package store and locate a green box that says "Bourbon County Rare." That should land you AT LEAST a 375 bottle of the upcoming release.

codysjb and woodchopper like this.
  40. It's going to take more then "shelf" beer