1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment Cross-checking Wants & Gots

Discussion in 'Site' started by alysmith4, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Not sure if this has been discussed (couldn't find anything), but it would be really nice to cross-check wants and gots with another user. Like if I clicked on someone's profile, and hit "see compatibility" or something, and then was able to see what wants I have off their list and vice versa.

I know jack about computer programming, but it seems like it would be a relatively easy thing to do. Just a thought..
  2. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

We had this option about five years ago, but it was never really perfected. I would love to see it back again myself.
    tewaris, claspada, Onenote81 and 3 others like this.
  3. I've had that same thought several times.
    kojevergas and alysmith4 like this.
  4. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (870) Texas Aug 15, 2010

I'd love to see this implemented.

Doubt we will.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  5. Todd

Todd Founder (1,430) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

We had a version of this feature a while back, but it was pulled as it was quite intensive on the system. It basically matched Wants to Gots between users on the fly.
    A new/optimized version is on our planned feature list and will eventually be rolled out in one of the site redesign phases.
  6. Part of me thinks this is really cool but the other side of me think this is just inviting "SPAM" mai.

I can just see the constant unconsolidated BM's offering trades.
    alysmith4 likes this.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

So this would be like BA's version of Match.com?
    CBlack85, MIA4IPA, ktblue22 and 5 others like this.
  8. Eh, it wasn't bad before, and "no thanks" doesn't take long to type. I definitely made some great trades by sending or responding to friendly "hey, I've got something you're interested in, wanna trade?" BMs.
  9. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Beer Harmony
    Paul68, alysmith4 and Hanzo like this.
  10. Pecafaced

Pecafaced Savant (280) Maryland Dec 16, 2010

I agree. You're never going to know unless you ask. I've made some good trades by doing this.
    woosterbill and alysmith4 like this.
  11. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

I agree with woosterbill. The point of the Wants/Gots list was to match people up for trades. When that system went away, people just started using the Gots to keep track of their "cellar." If you don't want unsolicited trade offers for a rare beer on your Gots, don't put it on there.
  12. gory4d

gory4d Savant (475) New York Apr 14, 2007

Exactly. Trading became more of a shoving match without it - with all the bumping to bring ISO threads back to the top, etc. (which has since been made impossible). Bringing it back will probably thin out the incredibly crowded ISO forum, which will be welcome.
    woosterbill, dvelcich and alysmith4 like this.