1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Culture Brewing (San Diego)

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by besaunders, Feb 26, 2013.

1. It's in Solana Beach, just south of the train station on Cedros (and thus within a few minutes walk of Pizza Port). Has anybody here tried it yet?
  2. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Savant (250) California Aug 19, 2011

heard about it a few hours ago actually! very interested to check it out next time im in north county since its very close to some family being coastal
  3. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

At the rate new breweries are opening it's quickly becoming "Who?" Probably go there in a year and see if they're still around/good. Only so many beer bucks to spend and chasin' newbies detracts from supporting tried and true favorites.
  4. Another factor for me is location. For example, I probably would not have tried Hess or Rough Draft if they weren't close to Alesmith. Likewise, Helms and Societe (in fact, I probably wouldn't have tried Societe so early on had they not been close to O'Brien's). This being close to Pizza Port might get me in there when I otherwise might take a pass.
  5. MacNCheese

My 2 new favorites are Societe and Rip Current (although RC is far from where I live). And I really dug Monkey Paw but now that Derek is headed to Modern Times it'll be interesting to see what happens there.

Looking forward to Modern Times b/c it'll be very convient in location to getting around the 5 and the 8.

Benchmark Brewing as it'll be the closest brewery to my house, sad that San Diego Beer Co isn't even on my radar.

And PP OB/Alpine are about equidistant from my house now as well. Plus the usual beerbars on 30th.

With all the other new joints opening, it's not really worth the effort other than a 1x pop-in see what's going on type thing.

In the end, usually pick 2 or 3 breweries and a beer bar and that's about it.
    CoolEthan likes this.
  6. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Societe is 1 mile from my office. I feel pretty damn content and don't give a shit about other breweries much now. Hope the sours are good.
    domtronzero likes this.
  7. If I were one of those other brewers, I'd ask "do you really want to hurt me?"
  8. evilc

SD needs to make more great stouts and barleywines! I only drink IPA's from here and trade for everything else I drink at this point. I can't just drink Speedway all the time.
    vurt and domtronzero like this.
  9. [Whoosh]
  10. MacNCheese

Weren't you bitching about their growlers? I think their policy is they will never fill a screw top.
  11. evilc

Yes, I was. I still bought 3 since I am a glutton for punishment.
    MacNCheese likes this.
  12. MacNCheese

I have an SS Rip Current and Societe...just hoping I can get either filled at both and I'd be very very happy.
  13. DrtyBvrJuce

DrtyBvrJuce Initiate (0) California Jan 17, 2013

SD has plenty of stouts, they just are seasons and aren't bottled. Looking g forward to the coffee Stone IRS this year.
  14. Fine by me. Will they fill a blank flip top yet?

Will anybody in SD fill blanks yet, that's where I'll be visiting next time I am down.
  15. At what point do we hit market saturation for breweries down in SD? I'm not trolling here just wondering at what point it becomes unsustainable? I know that SD embraces craft beer like very few cities do, but for me as an outsider a new brewery every month just seems overwhelming at times.
  16. SageO

SageO Savant (360) California Jul 13, 2010

Not anybody that I know of yet - I've talked to staff at some of them and all have said that they're aware of it and are discussing how to implement it.
  17. MacNCheese

The March SD Brewers guild meeting has yet to meet. Not sure if they're all going to try to get on the same page with a sticker or how they'll handle it. Just relax people...I'm as antsy as the next person but hell...I've been a beer geek for a decade, I can wait another month.
    pinkgrenade likes this.
  18. Xul

Xul Advocate (500) California May 18, 2008

When enough people get sick of drinking mediocre IPAs/APAs/ambers and only spend their money on beer that they actually enjoy. As long as craft beer continues to attract new people who haven't yet been burned by shitty beer or developed strong preferences, there will be a market for breweries to open and serve mediocre beer. Once the craft drinking population plateaus, some contraction will inevitably take place.
    domtronzero and HopHead84 like this.
  19. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

[​IMG]
    AptosBeerDrinker and corby112 like this.
  20. mrelizabeth

mrelizabeth Initiate (0) California Jan 22, 2012

Love Societe, and was lucky enough to catch Roustabout for a growler fill. One of my top 5 new beers this year, and this year has just begun.

But... stopped by this Monday, and only 6 beers on, 4 for fills (Apprentice, Pupil, Harlot, Debutante). Normally, I'd be thrilled to choose between Apprentice & Pupil, but both beers were way off the mark. I've had cloudy Pupil before, but this batch/keg was full of sediment & lacked the usual citrus/grapefruit pop. The aroma was good, but a touch malty.

Apprentice was entirely too malty, almost to the point where it was undrinkable.

This was my first time experiencing a bad batch @ Societe, and I'm hypothesizing that the demand for Roustabout meant increased tasting room sales of all the IPA's, resulting in the limited selection. Might have even forced them to put on extremely young kegs, or even a less-than-perfect batch, just to keep the taps flowing.

Just an unusual experience there, won't stop me from going back. But it did stop me from getting a growler fill that day.
  21. HopHead84

HopHead84 Champion (760) California Nov 29, 2006

I had the new batch of Pupil on Friday. It was cloudy but it smelled and tasted fantastic *shrug*. The Apprentice was tasting good too. Not as vibrant as the new Pupil but I certainly wouldn't call either of them bad batches. That's ridiculous. o_O
  22. mrelizabeth

I'm not trying to be ridiculous, just asking around. There are plenty of factors that could have affected my pour- not the least of which is my palette. Apprentice was definitely off, but it was also the end of the keg. That explains the cloudiness, and a slight decrease in hop intensity.

With the responses I've gotten here and at the brewery, I'm chalking up the Pupil discrepancies to an off-day for my palette. It's not always spot-on, especially on a Monday.

In either case, I just didn't enjoy those beers that day, which should be the bottom line of tasting beers. I'm just trying to figure out why, since I've never not enjoyed a Societe beer. Usually, not enjoying a beer is what makes me look deeper, get a second taster, and try to figure out what's going on. That day, it didn't help that Apprentice and Pupil were identical in appearance- with four of us at the table, they got mixed up several times.

Def not attacking their ability, they are head and shoulders above every other new brewery in San Diego.
  23. MacNCheese

Pupil has always had a hop haze, which is completely appropriate for the style.

I've heard both the new apprentice and pupil are great...just waiting for the weekend to get back up there.
  24. ^ This
  25. Since this has become a thread about Societe, anyone hear when they're planning on releasing the sours?
  26. SageO

SageO Savant (360) California Jul 13, 2010

It’s always “12–18 months”, no matter if you asked them during the soft opening or today. ;)
    pmarlowe and nanobrew like this.
  27. OTB

OTB Savant (345) California Sep 2, 2011

I filled growlers Saturday of both and they are drinking great. Haven't had a bad batch of anything yet in my short history of buying their beers.

Cheers....
  28. mrelizabeth

Just had a pint of Pupil at Toro yesterday- not sure if it is from the same batch I had on Monday, but it was excellent, felt like I had a completely different beer earlier this week.

The pint @ Toro was hazy, but nowhere near as cloudy as the pour from Societe on Monday. The pint has all of the characteristics I expected- that great orange/grapefruit aroma and flavor, a little bit spicy, steady malt backbone. I'm now fairly certain that we accidentally rec'd two pours of the end of the Apprentice keg @ Societe, and that Pupil wasn't in the flight. That would explain the identical appearance and very similar flavor. Didn't think of it at the time, but it explains everything.
    HopHead84 likes this.
  29. Can we change this thread title to Societe IPA? 28 comments deep and I've learned next to nothing about Culture Brewing... anyone?
    stawn, pmarlowe and beerman4 like this.
  30. MacNCheese

Beats me, they're so brand new no one has gone there yet. I might go tick this for you this coming weekend tho.
  31. I work in Cardiff and will stop by here this week/end...
  32. DrtyBvrJuce

Stopped in last night. Well laid out area right off the main drag. Lots of term enters but a small wish space over all. Looks like 15bbl fermenters and a small area out side. Just a brewery and tasting room. I don't know who's brewing there.

Amber is pretty dry and hoppy. Not what I was expecting.
    Nut Brown is very tasty but a touch too toasty that is a bit astringent on the back end. Should be an easy tweak.
    Pale was a total butter bomb. Gotta let it rest guys! Super easy fix and was very hoppy.
    Black IPA was the best. Not toasty or any coffee flavors.
    Imperial Stout, was good and the alcohol was hidden for 9.2%. Very smooth and silky.

I split a taster flight with my girlfriend so theses were but sips. We were hungry and went to solana beach PP. They're redoing the road, much better parking but its all messed up now.

Culture Brewing is showing great promise is they tweak their recipes a bit. I'd def go back. They've been open 5 weeks right now. Plenty of time to.keep.making better beer!
  33. riko

riko Savant (250) California Jan 18, 2008

Maybe you can stand in the small wish space and wish for a bigger one?
    stawn, mrkrispy and sandiego67 like this.
  34. DrtyBvrJuce

Id stand in a small wish space and wish for a pale ale w/o diacetyl.
  35. ryno09

ryno09 Savant (285) California May 1, 2010

A shame these new breweries are selling beers with major off flavors. I know they are in a ton of debt and need money, but it's hurting their reputation.

That being said I heard the IPA is very nice.