1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

CW 15/Silva and Shaggy whats it take?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by HopsHopenstein, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Off the top of my head, I'd trade CW15 1:1 with BA Abraxas, T25, M3000, Peche 'n Brett, or Juicy. Some of those may not be "fair" trades but if you are asking what it would take, that's it. To be honest though, most of my bottles will probably go to regular trading buddies and in those cases it won't take much.

2. brian23456

brian23456 Savant (255) Minnesota Apr 29, 2008

Posted an ISO for Sleepin with Shaggy yesterday and not a single message! Thought I had some good stuff in there, Bells Batch 7K, a couple Shorts Imperial Series (brewed once in 2007), Exodus, NG Berliner Weiss and all sorts of random stuff.
    As far as the 15th goes, BA9K, Stille Nacht Reserva, Persica (most wilds w/ peaches actually), certain Shorts growlers are all things that would tempt me to send out a bottle. Maybe I would offer one up if some good reviews roll in for Sleepin with Shaggy, but as of right now, I don't want to trade beer that I know is awesome for a beer that isn't recieving much acclaim.

3. Shilt

Shilt Savant (430) Virginia Dec 26, 2011

Had Shaggy last night, from two separate bottles. This beer is amazing and complex (brandy barrels did wonders) and one I see getting better with age. I enjoyed it better than the Silva actually. IMO, you are not offering near enough to get some bites.

4. Bildo

Bildo Aficionado (185) Minnesota Jan 24, 2013

If the offer still stands I'll take that trade. I cant reply to your post (BA Noob) in trades and not very profiecient in the the site to BM. how do i BM anyways?

5. I just sent you a message, you should see it in the upper right hand corner of the window.

6. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (460) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

What's the odds of a 2011 Parabola, Lindley Park or Kentucky Dark Star landing a Fifteen?

7. pk18

pk18 Savant (290) Wisconsin Jun 12, 2012

After having 15 and two of those three (Parabola, LP), I would doubt you would get a 1 for 1. Even though Fifteen was only $15, it is STILL a 26th month barrel aged stout, which is on par with Rare. The fact that there were only 1,700 bottles sold to maybe 275-300 people tops, makes 15 even harder to land IMO.

Jfriz25 likes this.
  8. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

I tried to land some Silva/Shaggy a couple weeks back and one douchebag wanted me to pay his entry fee. Another douchebag wanted to trade me a single bottle of each for Fou Foune. He was nice enough to offer to throw in a Pliny the Elder. Pliny the fucking Elder which I can buy off the shelf in CO. :rolleyes:

9. What would you offer for a bottle of each?

10. ArrogantB

Nothing at this point.

brian23456 and maximum12 like this.
  11. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Lol

ABisonEgo likes this.
  12. Even if that's true, I still find this statement ridiculous. Fifteen was just released and there's a ton of hype (partially due to the release shitshow) but it's WAY too early to compare it as equal to Rare or even in the same breath.

It's like stating that a barrel aged barleywine is the equivalent of M since they are similar styles. Of course that has happened before (Hellshire I, BB Hi Fi Rye B1, etc...)

huskermike12 likes this.
  13. pk18

I was not making a statement that the two beers are equals, and should trade as such. My comment was directed at the time 15 spent in barrels was similar to the time Rare spent in barrels . How many barrel aged stouts can make that claim?

Some beers are going to trade above $4$, I think 15 already one of them. Not only based on the time it spent in barrels and the reputation of 1414, but the fact that so few of the bottles exist.

14. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

What jackasses.

tobelerone likes this.
  15. lulz, ba valuations are like the stock market

for the whole allotment, i assume?

16. ArrogantB

I believe he said he would send one four pack for $60. I told his dumbass if I was going to pay someone's entry fee I'd send my cousin and get all the bottle plus the souvenir glass and probably some Alpine to boot. These fucking guys...

Beerandraiderfan and Mjmoser like this.
  17. evilc

I don't have much Silva left but can spare a bottle, how much is an Odell's 6 pack of the regular IPA? Not the Myrc just the one called IPA. Tiny trade but you'd get a Silva without getting ripped off. I'd throw an Alpine bomber to even $4$ since it's probably like $11 for the sixxer. $15 shipping to get $11 of beer but hey - you didn't have to buy my ticket =)

ADTaber and jegross2 like this.
  18. Idiot's Drool spent 4.5 years in barrels so by your reasoning it should be twice as good as Rare. Time in barrels does not necessarily indicate quality.

1700 bottles is hardly "a few." It's certainly not the highest bottle count and plenty of people were shut out, but many people also got 4-6 bottles (and a lot more from my understanding). Either way, 15 just seems to be trading high off of some reviews from the release from people that clearly have a vested interest.

Beerontwowheels likes this.
  19. pk18

I never said time in barrels was the end all be all measure of a beer. Many brewers are tossing beers into whatever barrels they can get their hands on these days. Central Waters certainly has a reputation of producing a high quality barrel aged product. I would expect the more people that try 15, the more this reputation will spread.

I guess I'm looking at the number of people that actually have their hands on bottles. This is only a guess, but I would imagine only about 225-275 people were able to purchase bottles. I wonder how many of those individuals are BA members, and of that group how many are planning on trading bottles?

I agree that the market for 15 could be high right now, based on the hype from the release. It will be interesting to see how the beer continues to drink and trade in the next 6 months-1 year.

20. ArrogantB

That's actually very cool of you but I have one trade left to complete and then I have to take a break for awhile. Cheers!

21. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Savant (290) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

I heard later it was only 1200? 1700 was the first answer i got though

22. ABisonEgo

Youbare trading a parabola for a 14??? Thats crazy! Good score!

23. It appears that brewery only Cali releases (e.g. Alesmith, bruery, green flash) are going 2-for-1 ($-wise) against Midwest brewery exclusives like BA Abraxas and CW 15. Not sure if this is because those Midwest beers are superlative, or if there's something else at play. If beer karma is real perhaps the crazy shit required to land BT in years past has alas come full circle.

24. you mean sitting at a computer and clicking frantically? *

* after 2009

mcaulifww and BdubleEdubleRUN like this.
  25. I'm sure you're playing coy and realize quite a bit used to be required to trade for a BT.

26. I've traded well over a dozen bottles of BT since 2009, mostly to Wisconsin people (one Chicago or MN guy here or there), $4$ every time, for CW shelf stuff.

I suspect it was mostly FIBs (I keed) who are hoarding the 15 trying to make it the next King Henry instawhale. You bought it at a limit of 4 bottles, $15 a piece, but want me to give you $70 worth of Black Tuesday and Chocolate Rain for it? Yeah, you're probably not from Wisconsin dude.

In a way, I miss ebay, the profiteers were more apt to go there than send ridiculous cold call beermails.

jegross2, BarrytheBear and Wiscobrew like this.
  27. A regular trading partner said they would pick me up one before the release. Thought it was great for them to offer. Not sure if they got any and I will get one and I didn't ask.

28. Someone bm'd me yesterday with this same unsolicited offer. I don't care how good CW 15 is, I'm not spending ~$80 to acquire any bottle of beer.

jegross2 and Beerandraiderfan like this.
  29. ABisonEgo

man lets face it... if rare were fifteen dollars, it wouldnt trade any higer than some of the offers that i have gotten for a fifteen.

30. Can you rephrase this? I'm not sure what the fuck you are saying.

31. ABisonEgo

the reason rare trades half as high as it does is because of what it cost. if 15 cost as much as rare, it would trade equally or almost equally as high.

32. :confused: :confused: :confused:

CW15 is trading nearly as high as Rare and CW15 only cost 15$.

Gosox8787, Levitation and ABisonEgo like this.
  33. ABisonEgo

yeah, i was offered white chocolate, bcbcs, cherry rye, bn x2, and westy x2 for two bottles of 15. pretty generous offer

34. Shilt

Shilt Savant (430) Virginia Dec 26, 2011

Thats not generous, its lunacy.

Gosox8787, Sarlacc83, Schlais and 4 others like this.
  35. Listen, I hate to put you on the spot, but I have to know... You said what, 'can you add?', amiright? :rolleyes:

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  36. ABisonEgo

Hahaha i just respectfully declined. I thought it was a pretty good offer, its just that i would rather knock off bigger wants if im getting rid of two 15's

37. Not going to argue Rare vs. 15, that's childsplay, but do you seriously believe that great reviews from the release is the reason why people are trading highly for this? This beer has pedigree. 1414 became a tough trade because it was limited and delicous. Why would it's sister that's aged a year longer in barrels not command at least as much? Most of the people that got to try 1414 are probably the same people willing to trade highly for 15. Downplaying a beer because you don't have it isn't any different than hyping a beer you have multiples of.

Duff27 likes this.
  38. evilc

Rare in barrels for 2 years = whale

15 in barrels for 2 years = non-whale

Did I get it?

39. Honestly, I'm not completely sure what to think in terms of how good the reviews are. I definitely believe it's an outstanding beer but I just find it hard to believe all the reviews putting it 4.9 and above. That's just insane. I really want to see a review from someone who traded for it and goes into it with those expectations.

There have been beers in the past where that has happened (Ann immediately comes to mind). I just usually like to wait a little before declaring something in the same class as Rare and the other heavy hitters. You are correct in that 1414 was recieved very well, and this has an awesome pedigree, but I just can't believe it's THAT good.

Full disclosure: I would absolutely love a chance to try 15 and be proven wrong. It sounds like something I would really enjoy, but it's one of the releases I'm willing to let pass by me at this point. The asking price is just too rich for my blood.

JohnfromPurdue likes this.
  40. FTFY. You ain't a whale if 12,000 were produced.

Gosox8787 likes this.