1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Czech advice

Discussion in 'Europe' started by incapacitant, Jan 11, 2013.

1. I'll be making my first-ever trip from the US to the Czech Republic later this year! Needless to say, I'm really excited.

For those that have been there, what was your top brewery stop? I'll be based in Prague but a few hours on a train is do-able (I have a very patient girlfriend). Any other advice regarding favorite beer places in Prague would be appreciated. Thanks guys!
  2. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

Pivovarsky Dum in the centre of Prague makes good Lagers. And some other weird stuff.

U Fleku is a lovely pub, the dark Lager they brew is excellent, but the wervice is really annoying. And the glasses just 0.4 l.

U Dvou Kocek I belive now has a brewery. It's a nice oldfashioned beerhall worth a visit in istelf.

U Cerneho Vola up by the castle is a wonderful pub. The beer isn't great, but the atmosphere is.
    incapacitant likes this.
  3. There are some great brew pubs on the outskirts of Prague, or nearby. You can get to these easily using public transport.

U Bulovky (Richter) and it's sister pub Jihometsky.
    The brew pub in the scrapyard at Beroun!
    Chyne
    Uneticky

My main tip would be to get out of the city centre and explore the other areas of Prague.
    flexabull and incapacitant like this.
  4. If you have a choice, look to stay in Zizkov area of Prague. Wonderfully close to Pivovarsky Klub and reasonably close to Zly Casy. Everything in Prague is well within walking distance. So find a good city map in the airport and allow it to become your best friend. Have some things in mind that you want to do and see and all, but leave yourself open for stumbling into other cool things. That is what great travel is all about.

Na zdravi!
  5. Sounds like you've already got some good advice for Prague - Pivovarsky Klub is well worth a visit.

If you're prepared to leave the city then I propose that you head to Plzen in search of beer. This is the source of pilsner, now the world's most popular beer style (though the original is still the best). I visited Prague about 18 months ago and took a bus service from there to Plzen for a day trip. The bus was recommended by the tourist office, as it's both cheaper and quicker (the buses are fine, and the journey takes about 1.5hrs). If you do this I recommend you try to buy your ticket in advance; when I got to the bus station I had to wait for an hour as the bus I wanted to take was already full.

Once in Plzen you will be able to visit the Pilsner Urquell brewery (Plzeňský Prazdroj), which gives an interesting tour and allows you to go into their vast subterranean cellars and sample unfiltered lager straight from the vat. It's an unmissable experience - the beer is miles ahead of the pasteurised bottled product. There is also a beer museum in town which is well worth a visit. Other attractions include the cathedral in the centre and the third largest synagogue in the world.

I reckon Plzen should be on the agenda for any beer lover who finds himself nearby....
    incapacitant likes this.
  6. patto1ro

I really hated the Urquell tour. Way too long - about 2 hours - and mostly just corporate bullshit. The 15 minutes in the cellar at the end of the tour with the beer straight out of the lagering vat was great, but not enough to make up for the previous hour and 45 minutes.
    incapacitant likes this.
  7. Brewery tours are just a waste of valuable drinking time IMHO :)
    I wasn't that knocked out by the small plastic cup of unfiltered PU we were offered on the tour. The on-site pub serves a really good pint, though. I should have stayed in there rather than go on the brewery tour.

There are many prettier towns than Pilsen. If you are interested in going farther afield, I strongly recommend Olomouc.
  8. If you are up by Prague Castle you should visit Klášterní Pivovar Strahov. Its a nice brewpub with pretty good food and beer. I have been to the Czech Republic twice and I would love to return. Both times we went to Pivovarsky Dvur Chyne. I really like that place. Excellent beer. mike004 above mentioned Beroun, another favorite. Pivovar Berounský Medved was a fun stop for me. Zámecký Pivovar in the small town of Chyše was a nice brewpub. The best gulas I had in Cz. Their regular beer isn't rated highly in the Czech Good Beer Guide (buy one) but I was there when they had their special Anton beer on. It was very good. If you are at the Charles Bridge (everyone does) there is a small Czech beer shop called Galerie Piva just off the bridge in a little alley. They have some harder to find Cz beers, and many beer mugs and glasses. I also enjoyed U Medvidku, tankova Budvar:) .
    Put on those walking shoes and get out and enjoy Prague. Its a great place.
  9. traillme

traillme Disciple (65) Virginia Jan 7, 2011

Do not go to pivovarky dum...if you must, go to pivovarky klum.

Do go to
    Zly Casy (plan on making a day of it)
    walk 2 blocks to
    http://www.ubansethu.cz/cz/
    for lunch and the polotmavy and then go back to zly

take a nooner at
    http://www.unetickypivovar.cz
    -great food and good local crowd

If you are looking at the tourist sites catch a beer at Strahov Monestary.
  10. traillme

traillme Disciple (65) Virginia Jan 7, 2011

O and Beroun (mentioned previously) is a great idea.

If you go to Pilsen drink up the unfiltered PU, it is only offered in a few locations outside of the brewery, is fantastic and will change your opinion of what a macro brewer can do.

I recommend the Gambrinus (in Czech tour) it is colocated with the PU brewery. Whoever gives the tour (it is only advertised as in Czech) will speak english and it will be less 'touristy' pouring beers with a brewmaster is fun and you can taste a lot more than the PU tour.
  11. I must be mentioned that Prague (especially downtown) it’s for tourists only, with corresponding prices and quality. All of course delicious, but without “raisins”. Don’t know this term exactly in English
    "Evil times" (Zly Casy) - not the center, I recommend
    "Beverage home" (Pivovarsky Dum) - center, not recommended
    So strongly recommend the beer from local breweries in small towns, but you have to move, may be the better to combined with a trip, for example in Krumlov.
  12. patto1ro

I strongly disagree about Pivovarsky Dum. They may make some silly beers, but their standard Lagers are pertty damn good.
  13. I am with patto1ro on this one. Pivovarsky Dum has a lot of tourists, like me :) it has some good beers. To me U Fleku felt like a tourist trap, but Pivovarsky Dum felt like a local pub.
  14. Did you ever saw any Czechs there?
    In contrast in Deppo (f.e.) - aborigines only.

As result - 5 times been in country, but not seen country;)