1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dallas Breweries/Bars worth visiting when traveling

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by BlueMoon10, Apr 2, 2013.

1. BlueMoon10

BlueMoon10 Savant (415) Mississippi Mar 29, 2013

I am going to be traveling to Dallas towards the end of May. I am coming from Mississippi, basically Memphis,TN area and wanted to get some ideas on some breweries and bars that are worth checking out. I love checking out different breweries when I travel so I am primarily interested in that but if there are bars that I shouldn't pass up please let me know. Thanks in advance for the info.
  2. Thecherryman

Thecherryman Initiate (0) Arizona Dec 8, 2010

I am in the same situation for april, please someone tell me somewhere awesome in dallas to drink some ice cold texas brews!
  3. air

air Savant (325) Texas Mar 28, 2007

Post your location where you'll stay and whether or not you have a car, that'll help in narrowing down places. Just saying "Dallas" doesn't mean much since the area's huge.

And if you've run a search, a few common suggestions are..
    Bars: Common Table, Meddlesome Moth, Goodfriend, WBC Bottle Shop. World of Beer near SMU is a newer place that sounds like they are on point with the tap selections.
    Stores: Hall's, Lone Star Beverages

As far as local breweries my favorites are Peticolas and Lakewood. If you can get to FW on a weeknight, Rahr on a Wednesday would be well worth the trip.
  4. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

If either of you want to meet up at Strangeways while you're in town let me know. If you'd like we could do an in person trade, or just drink excellent beer... my God we could do both!
    blatherbeard likes this.
  5. Assuming you are going to be in Dallas proper:
    1) Meddlesome Moth
    2) Crafter and Growler
    3) Common Table
    4) Strangeways
    5) World of Beer - SMU Blvd
    6) The Old Monk - not amazing selection but great food and atmosphere - Pub like.
    7) Goodfriend - way off the beaten path
    8) World Beer Co - Bottle Shop - Lower Greenville
    9) Libertine
  6. BlueMoon10

Thanks everyone for the information.

We are staying at the Hotel Indigo Downtown and will have a car. We are going to a Rangers game and a concert at Gexa Energy Pavillion if that gives you a better idea of the different parts of town we will be going to.

I've heard of Lonestar Brewery and also of Deep Ellum. If you were only going to check out one brewery which would you recommend? I would love to check out more than one but I am going with the wife and another couple and know they will want to do other stuff. I am hoping to get them to one brewery during the day and a couple of bars at night.
  7. TexasStout

TexasStout Savant (255) Texas Jun 22, 2007

I'm heading to DFW in a few minutes. Staying in Lewisville. What bottle shop would be closet place that carries Firestone Walker brews?
  8. air

Lone Star Beverage

OP: pretty much all of the suggestions given to you are nearby your location. So I'd make the call where to go based on what the places have on tap.

Single brewery tour, I would go with Peticolas.
  9. BlueMoon10

Does anyone know if they serve local beers at the Ballpark in Arlington? I assume they do but figured that might be another chance to try some local beers
  10. air

Pretty sure they pour Rahr stuff at that ballpark, but I haven't personally been in a while.
  11. jgreeson

jgreeson Aficionado (125) Texas Feb 24, 2010

Franconia is there somewhere, but I believe it is in the Lexus Club area. I haven't been this year, but there is a "Texas Beers" stand close to the First Base side of Home Plate. Unfortunately, "Texas" means Zeigenbock as well to the Rangers.
  12. HookemHops13

HookemHops13 Advocate (515) Texas Mar 21, 2013

Instead of starting a whole other thread I figured I could add this here...

May end up in Northern Dallas this weekend visiting a friend (Addison area).
    1. What are some good bars worth visiting?
    2. Bottle shops to hit up?
    3. What kind of stuff do yall get in Dallas that I cant get right now in Houston. I know FW but cant think of any others off the top of my head...
  13. air

1. Addison Saucer (I guess...), but IMO head into Dallas for TCT, etc, it'd be worth it.

2. No question there, Lone Star Beverages in Carrollton. I think the WF on Preston/Forest has growlers now, but I might be wrong on that.

3. Ballast Point. Maybe Sixpoint? Pretty much all the locals too like Peticolas, Lakewood etc.
  14. HookemHops13

HookemHops13 Advocate (515) Texas Mar 21, 2013

Awesome thanks! Any other suggestions?

I'll have my car so I'm willing to drive for bottle shops. Is lonestar the tits or is there some place else further from Addison that is worth the drive?
  15. ATA1K

ATA1K Aficionado (110) Texas Feb 4, 2013

If youre staying Downtown, youre close to Deep Ellum(~1 mile), which would be on the way to Craft and Growler.

Deep Ellum has Anvil Pub, which will have some local beers, and a couple of the out of state craft beers. Decent pub-like atmosphere. Ive also heard Wits End in Deep Ellum has a good selection. Never been, but on my list.

Edit: Also, Deep Ellum brewery tours are at noon on Sat. The last few times it was packed, but it your from out of town, and close, it could be worth it.
  16. air

Peticolas is doing a tour this weekend too.
  17. jsboots21

jsboots21 Savant (280) Tennessee Jan 19, 2009

Yes, Lonestar is the (. )( .)
    lonestarbev, mattisloco and kmello69 like this.
  18. eorwar

eorwar Savant (285) Illinois Jan 11, 2012

Hey all,

Figured I would piggyback on this thread as well. Coming into DFW from Chicago 4/29 leaving 5/1 so one night only. Staying at the Hilton Garden Inn by the Fort Worth Alliance Airport so downtown Dallas is a bit out of the way for me. Will have a rental but not the time to venture far from the area. Any suggestions for breweries/bottle shops/craft bars in that locale? Also any suggestions of good local brews to try as I have no idea about Texas craft beer. Thanks for any suggestions!

Cheers!
  19. air

Don't think you'd be able to hit a brewery during that timeframe unfortunately.

That location is equidistant to downtown Fort Worth and Denton, so I'd check the taplists at the following places before making a call. Though keep in mind you can hit multiple places if you decide to go to FW.
    Oak Street Drafthouse
    Flying Saucer FW
    Gingerman FW
    Live Oak
    Zio Carlo
    Brewed
    jsboots21 likes this.
  20. eorwar

eorwar Savant (285) Illinois Jan 11, 2012

I will check them out. Thanks for the feedback!
  21. air

Oh and for what beer, here's what's seasonal now:

Lakewood Till and Toil
    Real Ale Blonde Barleywine
    Peticolas Alfred Brown

You might get lucky and find St. Arnold DR13 floating around as well as fresh St. Arnold Endeavour.
  22. BlueMoon10

Do you know how long Lakewood's Till and Toil will be served? I hope they still have it towards the end of May.
  23. jsboots21

jsboots21 Savant (280) Tennessee Jan 19, 2009

If no one here can answer your question, contact the brewery. They have great customer service and should provide an answer.
    air likes this.