1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Damn... Ommegang does their stuff right!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Bradystraps, Feb 20, 2013.

1. I am so impressed with these guys. Everything they turn out is just fantastic. :cool:
    Been a huge fan of their Abbey Ale and 3 Phils and just last night finally got around to trying their Belgian Pale Ale. Man, did it hit the spot. I was in the mood for something a bit lighter and no Duvel so I cracked it open. What a great, smooth beer. Decent amount of citrus flavor but not over the top like so many of the beers out there. Nice malty backing and great aftertaste.

For any of you that have not tried their line, and I'm sure most of you have, it is must drink stuff. Ultra affordable and just superb brews.

2. Agreed. I'm generally hard to please with Belgian-style beers not from Belgium. I'd rather just drink the real thing, but Ommegang has proven time and time again to me that they're no joke. And I have to remember that they first introduced me to Belgian-style beers over 10 years ago. I first tasted them before anything else from Belgium.

Unfortunately the last beer I had of theirs is my least favorite to date (Art of Darkness) but otherwise they're dependable and delicious. Never grown tired of the Abbey Ale, 3 Philosphers, among others, and their BPA is one of my top pizza beers.

Always thought it was interesting they don't have year-round tripel.

The brewery is a fun visit, too.

Bradystraps likes this.
  3. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (570) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

+1. They're one of the FEW who do belgian style right.

4. JMS1512

JMS1512 Advocate (550) New Jersey Feb 18, 2013

Their brewery is a great visit, and the tasting segment is worth it. Their food at the cafe next door? No words... just feelings. Blissful feelings. Truffle fries.

I liked their product so much I did a beer tasting for my wedding reception. Though I did not do 3 Phil, I provided the Vos, Wit, Abbey, and Hen.

fmccormi likes this.
  5. Will be taking a day trip this summer to visit the brewery and take my family to the Baseball HOF. :cool:

6. Been on that brewery tour a few times...really nice people there. Also, although not as exciting is the Cooperstown brewing company to tour also. Not far from one another by a few miles.

7. bccocx

bccocx Advocate (720) Texas Jan 13, 2007

They are owned by Duvel Moortgat so I'd sure as hell hope they can make Belgian style beers the right way!

Stugtozo likes this.
  8. Knapp85

Knapp85 Advocate (700) Pennsylvania Dec 25, 2009

I usually buy a bottle of everything they make when it's released. Always a good time drinking Ommegang.

9. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

I really like the idea of an established Belgian brewery opening a subsidary in the states. Wish Fantome would do the same. And I could live with some Trappist Monasteries up in this bitch. Not sure if that is even possible, but a wet dream is a wet dream.

BedetheVenerable likes this.
  10. Drink Hennepin it is the best beer they make.

11. JMS1512

JMS1512 Advocate (550) New Jersey Feb 18, 2013

Now Lucas, I will not deny how good the Hen is, but at their level of quality, I think it comes down to the drinker's preference. Me? I prefer the Abbey. Just my .02.

denver10 and Bradystraps like this.
  12. Just had one a few days ago...it was fantastic.

Tmonk13 and Willbfun like this.
  13. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Ommegang wasn't started by Moortgat, but rather purchased by them, in 2003.

14. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

Well I still like the idea.

ColdOne likes this.
  15. Agreed. I'll buy anything they make. Big fan of the BPA and Hennepin.

16. Bizoneill

Bizoneill Savant (290) Connecticut Apr 19, 2012

They are one of my favorite breweries. I just brewed a clone Hennepin cant wait to tap it! If you haven't been to the brewery yet check it out. It's a wonderful place to visit with a great pub as well.

17. JoeBloe

JoeBloe Savant (370) New York Nov 16, 2007

also check out their concert line-up - we saw Wilco at Ommegang last July - excellent show on an outdoor stage - great food vendors - Rare Vos, Hennepin, Abbey, and Witte on tap - overnight camping - had a great time! - excellent venue for a concert! (posted this in a 'beer events' thread a while ago and it was deleted - I guess it was more of an 'event with beer')

Prh27, musicsherlock and Bizoneill like this.

18. Wow! You just got me completely amped up for our trip now. Will make it a couple of days now. :)

19. ColdOne

ColdOne Savant (440) New York Jan 19, 2013

Been a few years since unattended Belgium Comes to Cooperstown, but holy smokes! An entire festival devoted to killer Belgian beer? Out of control, especially when you talk about camping on the grounds.

20. Philly82785

Philly82785 Savant (265) Minnesota Dec 17, 2008

Zuur and Cup O Kyndness, were amazing. I really enjoy the Abbey with a varity of cheeses. I'm going to be cracking my Aphrodite the middle of March. I have yet to be disapointed with their beer.

21. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (780) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Yep I love some Ommegang. Three Philosophers is one of my favorites beers to sip on. Scythe & Sickle is one of their newer beers that I really enjoyed.

22. The monks in Spencer MA are getting the licensing to open up a real Trappist brewery in the USA.

23. imduffman

imduffman Aficionado (170) Ohio Oct 22, 2012

iron throne.. cant wait..

24. JoeBloe

JoeBloe Savant (370) New York Nov 16, 2007

25. dar482

dar482 Advocate (670) New York Mar 9, 2007

They make one of my favorite beers, Hennepin. Gnomegang is also out-freaking-standing.

fmccormi likes this.
  26. They have come a long way from when I first noticed them around 2001. At $4 a 750ml, I tried it as I was looking for a cheaper alternative to the $9 750s of Chimay I was blowing through at an alarming rate. I went back to the Chimay.

27. mrk829

mrk829 Aficionado (245) Georgia Aug 1, 2008

that is the greatest news i have heard all year :)

oh yes and love most things Ommegang makes. had a couple seasonal/ special releases that were ok- cant remember which ones off the top of my head since it has been atleast a couple years

28. Funny that this post popped up because I was drinking some Hennepin last week and was about to starting a similar post about Ommegang. Every time I drink one of their beers I always wonder to myself why I dont drink more of their stuff.

Tmonk13 and Bradystraps like this.
  29. Allagash > by quite a wide margin.

30. Just starting to try their stuff. I will evaluate. I'd find it hard to believe that their stuff is THAT MUCH better than Ommegang's stuff though.

What are your fave Allagash brews?

31. According to this article which is cited in Vanberg & DeWulf's wikipedia page, it looks like it was a partnership between importers Vanberg & DeWulf, and some individuals that were involved in brewing in Belgium including the president of Moortgat. You may be technically correct, but I guess we don't know if this was a personal investment by Michel Moortgat or an investment by the Moortgat business. But anyway it does looks like Moortgat brewery was involved in starting up Ommegang.

http://www.upstatechunk.com/beer/glbn/glbn2-1.htm

TNGabe likes this.
  32. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Scythe & Sickle was completely overlooked in my opinion. One of the best new beers I had the pleasure of enjoying last year. Ridiculously complex, but subtle. Yet another awesome beer that isn't intensely hoppy, high abv, or barrel-aged that didn't get the attention it deserves.

33. I am not much of a Belgian lover, but Hennepin is out of this world.

34. socon67

socon67 Advocate (670) New York Jun 18, 2010

I did this a couple of years ago and it was sweet. Just keep in mind that the brewery tours are from 12-5pm, so trying to do both in one day is not easy. We spent 5 hours doing the HOF and got to the brewery just as the last tour was beginning, and had enough time to hit the cafe foor food and a flight of beer.

35. Fujii13

Fujii13 Savant (250) New York Apr 27, 2011

I miss this enthusiasm in trying your first Ommegang. It's been almost a decade since my first Ommegang beer, and honestly the lineup is completely stagnant. Even the new beers they do all taste so damn similar from the house yeast strain, any deviation from the norm is not really that much of a stretch. Used to be one of my favorite breweries, hasn't been in the past couple of years.

36. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

Dang this thread for making me want some! Least I have 3 different offerings of theirs at home.

I am actually excited to try their game of thrones beer coming out soon too :p Any other brewery and I would not like the idea.

37. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Savant (495) New Jersey Jan 28, 2010

Gnomegang was crazy good, scythe and sickle didnt get much attention but I ended up buying like 4 four pakcs loved it. The BPA is a really good beer as well. Can keep going most of their stuff is real good. Allagash also has really great stuff, but all their seasonals/limiteds are crazy expensive and aren't often repeat buys for me.

dar482 likes this.
  38. CoachC

CoachC Aficionado (165) Florida Nov 25, 2012

Ommegang brewery is the pinnacle of Belgian style ales made in the United States. Take the brewery tour you won't be disappointed. BPA and 3 Philosophers are my favorite.

Bradystraps likes this.
  39. If I made a list of every single Belgian brewery, and ranked them in order from first to last about the likelihood of them opening a US subsidiary, I would put Fantome dead last on the list.

40. BEEN TELLING PEOPLE THESE EXACT WORDS FOR YEARS!! :)

Hennepin is still my all time favorite beer.