1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Damn... Ommegang does their stuff right!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Bradystraps, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Best American producer of Belgian-style ales.

2. dmeadows

dmeadows Savant (310) New York Aug 6, 2002

And if in the area stop in and check out Council Rock Brewery:

Brewery http://councilrockbrewery.com/

3. CloudStrife

CloudStrife Savant (405) New York Nov 20, 2008

Belgium Comes to Cooperstown is stuff done right

4. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (640) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

I should revisit Ommegang after avoiding it for some time. I've had 3 Philosopers (several times), Hennepin (3 times), and Abbey Ale (twice), but found batches to be inconsistent in taste, body, carbonation, and color. I've had a couple of 3 Phils that just had a ridiculous layer of sediment (talking a packed 2" cake). The biggest thing that bugs me is every one of them had the same distinct metallic aroma that also shows up sharply in the flavor. Maybe it's my taster, but they just haven't really been that appealing to me.

5. ucfalum08

ucfalum08 Aficionado (180) Florida Jan 20, 2013

Finally tried a Ommegang beer last weekend (3 Philosophers) and really enjoyed it. Not my favorite style but I do enjoy Belgians every once in a while to change things up.

6. Picked up a four pack of Hennepin last month because I never had it anything by the brewery before. First sip was just ok, but after it warmed a bit, I loved it! Drank the other three quickly after.

dar482 likes this.
  7. Best Damn Brewery in the 48 Contiguous States!

8. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

As much as I like the brewery overall, Scythe & Sickle, Hougoumont, & Duvel Rustica have been the last 3 new beers from them I've tried and none of them were good enough for the price.

Best Belgian-stye ales from a US brewery? If you add 'that you can buy at grocery stores nationwide' you might be right.

9. Interlude is absolutely sensational.

10. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

Lovin' this thread. Been a fan of Ommegang ever since I visited the brewery for the first time in the summer of 2008. Not big on BSDAs so I can't speak to a good number of their special releases, but personally I think they're consistently very good and occasionally excellent. I still kinda get a hofty when I think of Gnomegang in 12oz bottles.

Anyone else excited for Fleur de Houblon coming out in May? Can't fucking wait for that beer.

tolar111 likes this.
  11. They are a solid brewery but most of their stuff is just pretty good in my opinion. I have only given 2 of their beers over a 4 rating.

12. LiquidCucumber

LiquidCucumber Savant (305) Ohio Dec 18, 2009

I personally enjoyed Duvel Rustica more than Duvel proper.

fmccormi likes this.
  13. fmccormi

Yeah I'm surprised that's gotten some relatively mixed reviews. I thought it was dynamite, and frankly just a very different beer than "regular" Duvel but no less enjoyable, for me at least.

14. I haven't come across an Ommegang I didn't like but Hennepin is not my favorite. I dunno, I really like saisons but it seems very middle of the road for my preferences. Definitely not bad but also not the first saison I will pick up from the shelf. Kinda felt the same about Hougoumont and BDGs.

BPA, Abbey, Three Philosophers, Scythe, Biere de Mars, Rare Vos, etc. all great beers. Gnomegang was fantastic. Their tripel last year was excellent as well.

I'm sitting on a bottle of Art of Darkness and Aphrodite. I bought Aphrodite right away but all the initial reviews were negative and suggested aging so I held on to it. Probably should have popped it on V-Day.

15. they also killed it with the new labels. They look good. I mean really good.

Hey everyone! Go to your local liquor store and see how good they look!

fmccormi likes this.
  16. drocpsu

drocpsu Savant (255) New Hampshire Dec 25, 2006

It's only good news if they are good at making beer. Otherwise, it's just mediocre with a 'Trappist' label on it. Either way... This is pretty cool (hopefully).

17. Way not all 50 states?

18. Russian River and Allagash >>>>>>

19. And ~ $20/ bottle.

20. fmccormi

Not disagreeing per se, but to be fair I think these three breweries make different products / have different objectives. Ommegang's core lineup is more like a solid representation of standard Belgian styles; Allagash makes wonderful stuff but they don't make a standard saison, Belgian Amber, or Belgian Pale (except for House Beer, I guess, which is relatively new—and is it even widely distributed? (honestly do not know)). In contrast, Ommegang doesn't make a standard tripel or have a line of sours / wild beers.

A lot of RR and Allagash's clout comes from their reputation built on specialty Belgian-style products, like Interlude, the koelschip stuff, or RR's sours. Allagash has a few regularly-produced Belgian "standards," too, but Ommegang's focus is centered on standards like their core lineup.

21. cuz 48 contiguous states sounds a lot more interesting

dennis3951 likes this.
  22. fmccormi

Plus, for what it's worth, Russian River is inaccessible to the vast majority of us, save for trading. And not the cheapest. Allagash is more widely distributed, though for whatever reason it's not distributed to upstate NY (used to be, years ago, but it's been four or five years, I think). Allagash is also reasonably priced, when it comes to their core lineup, but their specialty beers are pricey as shit.

It's not exactly apples and oranges, but maybe oranges (Ommegang), seasonal tangelos (Allagash), and rare, imported, candied curação orange zest (Russian River). I like 'em all, but Ommegang does make some damn good oranges.

flayedandskinned likes this.
  23. You mean the new Ommegang labels? If so I part company there, The former labels were more in the spirit of Belgium, especially in the dept of unique and artistic, but definitely anti-corporate. The new labels seem more a slick clueless product of some American "Madmen" ad agency.

24. But since the conversation has disintegrated a wee bit, I will just defend Ommegang on the lines that I find Hennepin to be one of the two best saisons I've tasted. One reason I enjoy the O line-up suits me is that some of their top beers are more sweet. O balances the flavors to the sweet malty side against hoppy refreshing style "bitterness." Sierra Nevada or Rogue would be a good example of breweries who tend to produce a little more hoppy or bitter product. The two beers by Allagash, dubbel and a trippel, really were also a little dry. Russian River makes one helluva an Imperial Stout, but I haven't bee graced with their Belgium lineup and Belgium's are hard to come by with high quality. There are ton of great stouts and porters to choose from. But I have definitely become a Belgium style advocate.

I also find 3Phil to be as the best quad I have tasted outside of St B's abt 12. Abbey Ale is a strong competive dubbell. Adoration Ale is just great. What a lively flavor bouncing on one's tongue. I hope O continues to brew that. And finally I like Art of Darkness which is a uniquely different dark ale that is almost porter or stout like. That line up keeps me happy while I pick up a nice tripel to complement My big O friends.

25. fmccormi

Wait . . . are we talking about the same breweries, here?

26. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

Not quite sure why you think that. My girlfriend and her parents are from Belgium. I wouldn't be surprised if many in this thread (or even on the whole BA forums) aren't aware that Ommegang is a festival celebrated each year in Belgium, the Netherlands, and parts of France.

The official Belgian Ommegang site

I think when you see the images (and by Googling, of course), you'll notice the hatwear worn by the characters in the new labels are nearly identical to the ones you'll see in the pictures.

[​IMG]

Abbey Ale....

[​IMG]

BPA....

[​IMG]

Witte / Hennepin....

[​IMG]

And of course, the three philosophers....

[​IMG]

ThirstyFace and fmccormi like this.
  27. Truth, but it does sound blissful :)

28. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Definitely a fan of Ommegang.

Just tried their Belgian Independence Tripel and absolutely loved it. Its been too long since I last had their Abbey Ale so I might need to revisit that, because while it has been my favorite of theirs, the Belgian Independence just might have overtaken it. But I would need to try Abbey again to be sure that holds.

I also need to revisit Hennepin; with Funkwerks in my backyard I have kinda strayed towards them when looking for my saison fix, but a Hennepin purchase is probably due.

Also agree about the Scythe & Sickle comments, good stuff. I actually went to the liquor store a few weeks ago hoping to find a four pack still sitting around....but no luck.

29. JoeBloe

JoeBloe Savant (370) New York Nov 16, 2007

Best Belgian-stye ales from a US brewery? If you add 'that you can buy at grocery stores nationwide' you might be right.[/quote]

..not that there's anything wrong with that...

fmccormi likes this.
  30. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

I'm happy to have the complete Ommegang line at my disposal. I have to say, they're rebranding was a stroke of genius. They really stand out on the shelf and look classy as hell. Abbey Ale was one that I only recently came around to trying and I was blown away by it. BPA is perfect. I'm really looking forward to their Game of Thrones and the new Summer seasonal.

31. I just Hennepin for the first time last night.
    Great saison! A little more hoppy than many of the others I've tried, gave it a nice citrusy bite.

Good stuff paired with a nice mild Brie!

32. hennepin bothers me that it doesnt sell as much as it should such a great beer to me for an even better price! love the ommegang stuff but i have a soft spot for allagash as well. i never really pit the two against each other they just coexist peacefully in my beer world

fmccormi likes this.
  33. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (780) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

What's up with the Gnomegang 12oz bottles? I've never seen them before in my area, and there's no shortage of Ommegang. I've had the 750ml before, but no 12oz.. any info? I see at least a couple reviews coming from 12oz bottles..

34. fmccormi

They are part of the current 8-bottle mixed packs. Two each of Hennepin, Rare Vos, Witte, and Gnomegang, all 12oz bottles. It'd be awesome if they released Gnomegang 4-packs, though; I'd definitely buy that.

Also, I asked recently about further 12oz releases of Gnomegang and they said that they're going to release it in 750s again in the next few months, I believe.

BB1313 likes this.
  35. ThirstyFace

Allagash prices me way the fuck out of their market. Most bottles are above $20 in my neighborhood.

36. Im talking flavor wise man. Name one beer that Ommegang makes that stand up to Interlude.

37. ThirstyFace

I can't because I never had Interlude, and besides, I wasn't saying that Ommegang was better than Allagash. Was just saying that Allagash is far far far more expensive. Now that said, I'm more impressed with Ommegang's 4 pack lineup than Allagash's. Beyond that, I should say that Coolship Resurgam was one of the best beers I had last year

38. ThirstyFace

I think Unibroue has them both beat.

39. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

In the Tampa area, we had 8-bottle mixed packs around Christmas time. But, they were a very different selection.

2 each of Hennepin, BPA, Abbey Ale, and Three Philosophers. Retailing at Total Wine for $16.99. Major steal, since the 4-packs of Henny, BPA and Abbey go for between $8.99 and $9.99, while the Three Philosophers goes for $13.49. Roughly 20% savings by buying the 8-pack.

40. fmccormi

Jeez. Those were very likely at least half a year old. Not that the beer suddenly turns to mud after a few months, but Ommegang mix-packs have been as I described for a few months now.