1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Damn... Ommegang does their stuff right!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Bradystraps, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

They all had best by dates. The Three Phils don't expire until 2015, the Abbey in 2014, Henny in 2013.... but, yes, the BPA did expire just a month or two after purchasing. :(

2. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

Yes to Ommegang, and double yes to Wilco. One of my favorites.

3. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

Ah, okay. Well if I'm not mistaken Hennepin has a two-year freshness date, and I think Witte and Rare Vos are given one year. These days, 12oz bottles include both bottling and freshness dates.

Ex.: my Witte review—dating information included in the first paragraph
    Ex.: my Hennepin review—dating information included in first paragraph

Gnomegang and Scythe & Sickle were also given two-year freshness dates, while BPA and Rare Vos both got one year. Can't speak to 3 Phils or Abbey Ale, because it's been a long time since I've bought either of those, but they definitely have longer freshness dates on their bottles.

4. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

And for what it's worth, I recognize that my Witte review is waaaaaay above the average on this site, and I couldn't tell you why, exactly. All I know is that I was really blown away, once I actually sat down and paid attention to it—previously it was always just kind of a light and fluffy beer that I'd drink when given to me. Definitely have a new-found appreciation for it.

5. Brenden

Brenden Champion (815) Ohio Feb 25, 2008

I did that last summer. Awesome trip.

6. Jason311

Jason311 Aficionado (105) Virginia Dec 18, 2012

Look for Art of Darkness next. One of my favs

7. Rare Vos is my favorite as well as Seduction.