1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Danby chill n tap

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by raczkowski, Jan 26, 2013.

1. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

Hey guys,
    My brother and I bought my dad a danby chill n tap 3 years ago, before I got into craft beer. It is in a garage that is open. No AC so can get pretty hot. The unit keeps "stalling" I guess would be the best word. It will only get to about 50 degrees. I am assuming the hot temperatures cause it to overload. Needless to say I will probably get it since he doesn't use it anymore. With it being in default does it need to be fixed? If I do get it, I'll change the lines out and put a fan in it so the tower can be cooled. Anyone have Amy other advice for getting the unit to work properly?

2. I don't know much about the Danby but check out micromatic.com, there are plenty of guys on there who have them and I am sure you can find a ton of info. on things people have done...

3. PortLargo

PortLargo Savant (375) Florida Oct 19, 2012

The problem is your condenser coil must transfer the heat to the air, and you are asking a lot of a system designed for indoor use. I also live in FL and putting a fridge outdoors is very taxing on the unit. Most refrigerators are optimized for normal indoor temps which you never have in any garage in the Sunshine State (the soda machines you see outdoors are special made for higher air temps). My guess is your chill n tap is also a power hog under these conditions.

So just bringing it indoors should help with your problem. Also, check out this link on some routine maintenance tips to improve performance:

http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-P...avoid-refrigerator-repairs/Step-By-Step#step1

(this is for normal fridges, but most items will apply to your Danby)

4. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

Check out the Danby thread on micromatic.com. THere is a metric shit ton of Danby advice. I have one. Not cooling enough is a common Danby problem. It is possible a $1 resistor from Radio Shack will allow the unit to cool better. I keep my Danby in the garage and we have many days in the summer in the mid-high 90's. It's been running great for 5 years.