1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Danger of IPAs

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BetterBeerPlz, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Sometimes I wonder if the "extreme" flavor profile of IPAs has caused me to negatively alter how I view other beer styles. There is something about the flavor of a hopped up beer that has become so satisfying. I've come to realize that a lot of regular IPAs don't do it for me anymore, and now I need a DIPA to get that hop fix. I still like regular pale ales, stouts, porters, some lagers, etc., but it's just not the same as an IPA.

Has anyone else gone down the IPA road and found it hard to come back?

2. dethTr0ll

dethTr0ll Disciple (70) Delaware Dec 7, 2010

Yeah man I cant get enough hops. I love browns, stoutd, and porters as well but theres just something anout the super hopped dipas. I dont drink very many ipas anymore as I find a lack of hops after drinking dipas.

BetterBeerPlz likes this.
  3. harsley

harsley Savant (460) Massachusetts Jun 16, 2005

I think the same sometimes. American Style.

4. Burt

Burt Savant (485) Rhode Island Nov 27, 2005

Take a break from drinking the hop monsters and your taste buds will reset. Could be a week or two but it will happen. I do it all the time.

fmccormi, mnrider and BetterBeerPlz like this.
  5. Mgm54

Mgm54 Savant (375) Illinois Apr 7, 2011

I drink a lot of RIS, but as far as hoppy beers, mostly regular IPA's. On the same note, some reg stouts don't do it for me, they have to be really good (like Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout)

Geuzedad and 3letters3numbers like this.
  6. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Savant (365) Texas Oct 17, 2012

I don't think it's a problem. It sounds like you found something you like, and why would you want to drink something that you like less?

Bitter_Echo likes this.
  7. And this is how TIPAs were born.

8. you should take two weeks off from ALL hoppy beers.

Then break into it with a nice pale ale. You'll love it.

9. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

I have to be in the mood for extreme IBUs. If not, a less lethal dose may be in order. So no, I'm good with different levels depending on how the hop appetite is feeling.

When I saw "Danger" I immediately thought of my dog. Hops in high concentration can kill dogs. But for me... bring'em on!

Fantasy_Factory likes this.
  10. I'm having a similar problem. I think it has to do with the beer being refreshing (for the most part). Whereas stouts, porters etc. can have great flavor profiles, there's a different preparation in enjoying them.

I'm in no way equating flavor between a Budweiser to an IPA, but my first reaction to beer as a beverage of leisure was drinkability and refreshment. Stouts and Porters don't satisfy those two criterias.

Maybe it's my brains way of telling my tongue to go back to the start.

First post, so be easy. I just like the topic.

11. I am so far down that road it has become unpaved.

Actually I find it hard for me to enjoy some DIPAs because they tend to be sweeter than I would like. Stone's Enjoy By is the exception to this. At 9.5% it is very piney and not very sweet at all even after it warms a little.

Geuzedad, gshak and BetterBeerPlz like this.
  12. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (595) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Look at how things have been over the past couple weeks. Hopslam/Nugget Nectar and what all else in the category comes out and everybody's slammin' 'em by the case. And yeah - get 'em while they are fresh - that I can understand. That's a short-term feeding frenzy, maybe, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking holy crap how much intense hops flavor can people take?

Longer term - maintaining a variety (for me) is the enjoyable part of beer. There's all kinds of stuff available, I can't imagine being hooked on just one type. I can see having preferences for certain styles, but I can't see myself stuck on one for very long. I will say, I had been kinda barrel-aged heavy for a while and had a perfectly fine brown ale that I have enjoyed before and thought it tasted like water - so burnout? Maybe. Or just acclimatized and calibrated to the bigger beers. But I don't even stick to one brewery for very long.

So for me, I am resetting the taste buds all the time. Drinking heavier stuff then randomly tossing in the bottle of Ruination is like a reawakening. If I was drinking Ruination all the time, I'd be sick of it by now and I don't want that to happen. YMMV...

13. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (460) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006

Keep in mind that more IBU's don't always equal more bitterness. For example, Dale's Pale Ale tastes hoppier than many IPAs or DIPAs, regardless of the reported IBUs. Personally, I prefer the hop flavor of many APAs and IPAs over DIPAs or hoppy barleywines.

farts and lucasj82 like this.
  14. Knapp85

Knapp85 Advocate (700) Pennsylvania Dec 25, 2009

Some IPA's taste stronger to me than others. I swear that some regular IPA's taste like they could be DIPA's at times. It's strange. It's probably just the different types of hops that make some better than others. Agreed, most standard IPA's won't cut it for me either anymore but I don't avoid them because you never know which one might be a hidden gem.

15. LMT

LMT Savant (340) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

I didn't know that "chasing the dragon" was possible with hops.

I'm in a phase where I'm increasingly appreciating understated hop flavors & more balance in brews. And, flavorful lower ABV beer...Headwaters Pale Ale comes to mind. A few years ago, Stone Ruination was bliss for me. Now, after a somewhat long absence, I've rekindled my fondness for a bit of maltiness.

I like to appreicate the subtlties between styles and brewers (if that makes any sense).

16. BeerMeInStl

BeerMeInStl Savant (475) Missouri Jan 26, 2013

Yes, I get that too. I've been drinking almost nothing but IPAs and DIPAs lately and when I had a couple of Pale Ales last week, they just seemed like they didn't have any flavor.

It sounds like I'm due for a taste bud re-setting but it'll have to wait until the Hopslam is gone. :D

creepinjeeper and craigo19 like this.
  17. This is why I try to vary what I'm drinking quite a bit. I buy a lot of bombers/750mLs, and will usually buy 3-4 different styles at a time. If I'm buying 4-packs/6-packs I'll try to buy at least 2 different styles and alternate between drinking them throughout the week. Sometimes I will fall into drinking all really high end DIPAs or Imp. Stouts, and it definitely can make your taste buds less responsive, for lack of a better phrase, to other, less extreme beers.

18. I just don't want to box myself in and overlook beer from other styles. I used to really love pale ales and stouts, but lately, they are just blah. When I go to the liquor store without anything specific in mind, I'll go with an IPA versus trying something new. If I do try something new, I am always comparing it to an IPA.

I would be surprised if IPAs don't remain my favorite style, but man, there is a lot of other beer out there to try. :)

Bnoise11 and Errto like this.
  19. It's not a road so much as it is a pendulum- you just haven't started swinging in the other direction yet. I could take many years, even, but one day you will find a natural interest in other approaches to beer, and will probably be more ready to appreciate them than you are right now. Don't sweat it, and enjoy what you are drinking.

20. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Is it odd that I actually get more of a hop effect from ipa's and apa's and less from dipa's?

21. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (255) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

Not really. I'd say I went through a lengthy IPA phase, but I didn't find it hard to leave them behind when I started to branch out. Don't get me wrong, IPAs are probably still my favorite, but I'm glad I have learned to appreciate -- if not wholly enjoy -- just about every beer style. Stouts are awesome. Belgians are great. Lagers rule.

ThirstyFace likes this.
  22. I've been winding my way down the IPA road for 2 years now and it's just great. It still allows for enjoyment of stouts, barleywines, porters and pilsners, which are really the only styles I'd ever want to consume to being with, so there's no complaining on my end. Maybe you should drink more Heady Topper - it will reaffirm your love for hops.

Bitter_Echo likes this.
  23. godlessape

godlessape Savant (300) Georgia Dec 12, 2010

I've been having the same concern for the past year. Just the thought of an IPA actually makes my mouth water. When I go to beer bars I drink nothing but IPA's. However recently I've been enjoying some stouts, and have found them very satisfying, and I mean satisfying enough to not wish I had bought an IPA. Had my first Founders Breakfast Stout a few weeks ago and it blew my mind.

24. jman005

jman005 Savant (470) Kentucky Jan 21, 2013

I totally agree. There is nothing like an insanely hopped brew. It almost makes other styles less appealing because I crave that bitter component.

creal92, dave317 and BetterBeerPlz like this.
  25. Probably not. I've notice the same thing with respect to some IPAs. The perceived flavor probably depends on multiple factors.

26. I know that feeling. I've got it right now. :D

Hoptimus-Prime likes this.
  27. I've been drinking nothing but Sucks for a week. I regret nothing.

28. Don't worry. You grow out of it, come full circle, and after awhile, massive amounts of hops don't really impress you so much anymore. Don't get me wrong, you'll still like it, but you'll get bored with it. At least, that's what my experience has been.

Idris likes this.
  29. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I blame final gravity. The sweetness kills the hoppiness for me. 100 ibus at 1.020 seems less than 100 ibus at 1.009.

30. --Dom--

--Dom-- Savant (355) Missouri Dec 22, 2012

There is a cure for your condition my friend..... it is called Zombie Dust :D but seriously I love DIPA's but I've learned that a beer doesn't have to have 100 IBU'S and 10 percent alcohol to have flavor. You just gotta keep trying new stuff. There are a lot of flavorful beers out there that aren't hop bombs or super high abv. That's the beauty of being addicted to craft beer, you can just keep going out and trying new things! My advice is find a place that has a good single bottle selection, it's a little more pricey to buy that way but you get to try a new beer every time you crack one if you want. God I love beer :D

dave317 and BetterBeerPlz like this.
  31. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Savant (400) Michigan Apr 13, 2012

It's a freaking carnival of joy in my head since discovering fresh hoppy beers, and I don't worry about it at all. Give me hops this way and that, in this proportion or that, fresh or dry, little or lots, late or early...and then toy with the yeast and the grains, crank up or down the EtOH, make it resinous or sessionable and this and that and this and that. And then get down to tasting them and parsing out the the unique flavors and notes of floral or pine etc...always different here too! All this generates one heck of a number of different interpretations, even when considering just this one style (IPA/DIPA, I mean). Not even considering the lure of landing freshly brewed hoppy beers, it's loads of fun for the collector/hunter in me too. All considering, I'm personally not seeing much danger here.

(And sure, I drink and really enjoy other styles too, but for me, hoppy is the hub; as for the rest of the styles, I'm just passing through. If you burn out on them, then move on. Seems for a time, I'll be here. And yes, it seems the above argument could be made about every other style out there too, it seems. Simply enjoy whatever you enjoy.)

32. No.... i enjoy Dipa's but usually just have one here and there,i enjoy many styles ,some times ill have a pils or a hefe first and then have a DIPA later i get to enjoy both styles in the same night

33. PaulMin4

PaulMin4 Aspirant (35) New York Jan 28, 2013

I find myself going out of the way to find new style IPA/DIPA's just to take that rollercoaster of taste that I can't seem to find with any other brew. This coming from a guy that two years ago would settle for a 12 pack of Keystone Light,

34. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

IPAs are a summer drink for me, and even on the summer they are contending with a slew of other styles for my attention. The only two small format IPAs in my distribution area that I bother with are Sculpin and HopNotch. Otherwise I'm having too much fun drinking every other style under the sun.

35. RoninTK3

RoninTK3 Savant (290) New Hampshire Nov 12, 2012

Eh, I'll get on an IPA kick, but every time I get a stale one, and it does happen, I'm off it for a little while. Resets the hop craving and I go back to stouts and porters for a few days.

36. BrownNut

BrownNut Savant (305) Florida Jul 11, 2011

I guess it is a bit sad, because I feel like there are whole style categories of more mildly flavored beers that I used to enjoy that now just seem kind of bland and pointless. I mean they're fine as a session beer when the focus is really on other things, but I no longer kick back with them and go "ahh, now that's a fine beer." It's like they're only good for background noise now. When I have one, and I wish it were one I could really savor, and I can't, it's disappointing and I'm left unsatisfied.

At this point the beer has to bring something substantial to the table, whether it's stiff hops or heavy malt or robust char or coffee and chocolate or something. It has become harder for me to appreciate the more nuanced and less magnified virtues of milder styles.

This is where it would help to be able to rate to style instead of the only thing I know, which is to rate to taste, interestingness, and complexity. There are some styles which just won't ever have a chance of breaking a 4 overall for me.

37. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (245) California Jul 12, 2012

I kind of had that for a while. tastes seem to change though.. i keep going through cycles of preferring different style and developing ones new to me. etcetcetc

38. Rfunk

Rfunk Aficionado (125) California Nov 28, 2012

Lupulin Shift!!!!!!

Auror likes this.
  39. ESHBG

ESHBG Aficionado (205) Pennsylvania Jul 30, 2011

I couldn't stand IPAs (and many other hoppier beers) when I first got into craft beer many moons ago and it took me a while to warm up to them, and I learned a lot about IPAs and hops over the years with my many trial and error experiments. But now IPAs have indeed changed my palate a bit and some of the beers that would have seemed to be too hoppy to me years ago are nothing now, and some of the other beers that I considered to be flavorful are a bit blander now (not bad mind you, just seem to be a little less flavorful). I don't view this to be a bad thing, though, and the big positive in this is that this has definitely expanded my beer spectrum, and it is really nice to be able to drink pretty much anything I want to on a beer list now and be okay with it.

Are IPAs my favorite style? Not really, and they are something I need to be in the mood for...but that mood is more frequent now vs. years ago, though.

It's the same for me as well, in most cases.

40. ucfalum08

ucfalum08 Aficionado (180) Florida Jan 20, 2013

IPAs are probably my favorite now but I still love brown ales and I've gotten into Stouts recently. I liked just about every style I've tried. I drink IPAs the most but always mix in something different.