1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Danger of IPAs

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BetterBeerPlz, Feb 1, 2013.

1. The same thing happens to me with RIS', Saison's, IPA's or any style I abuse for too long. I always take a good week/month or so off of a particular style that I love, and the love comes rushing back in once again.

2. If I'm buying, It IPA's all the way! If your treating, I'll drink what you have:D

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  3. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

I used to be such a hop head, but then tired of it a bit and started trying more new styles. It really reawakened my passion for craft beer, and I appreciate really well done IPAs even more now (whereas before I wasn't too picky so long as it was hoppy).

4. its all about balance. if the hoppiest ipa isn't balanced properly it's still a pain in the ass to drink, and that's coming from a hop head.

5. craigo19

craigo19 Savant (270) Michigan Oct 12, 2009

I couldn't agree more, I took a break from IPA's and drank a lot of stouts for a couple of weeks and it was like my taste buds reset in time to be fried again by Hopslam, Palate Wrecker and Double Crooked Tree.

6. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

Not if you drink a Kane Head High IPA (NJ). You'll always come back.

7. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (475) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

The true cure would be to find yourself some Pliny the Elder. Once you have had that jewel all others will seem secondary and less than what they once seemed. After a long absence from Pliney I recently made a trip to Stone for the release of Best by 02/15/13. We not only got fresh bottles( it was 905 AM and they had just finished bottling at 8AM) but we had it on tap in their bar. All I can say is WOW! But I digress. That afternoon at a little out of the way mart we found 4 fresh bottles of Pliney. We immediately returned to our motel room and opened one and there was the standard by which all others once again paled IMO. A very memorable day as we finished out in the tasting room at Lost Abbey and dinner at Pizza Port where Pliney was on tap! Oh hell yeah!

BetterBeerPlz likes this.
  8. Let's "cut to the chase" here. We're talking ABV. If it is only IPA citrus, pine, and floral hop then we really don't need the "big malt" balance of the DIPA..........or Do we?

9. phildo7pt9

phildo7pt9 Zealot (85) California May 1, 2011

LOL Same here. But I've also thrown in some Pliny... No regrets!

10. phildo7pt9

I have also done that trip! I still have a few bottles of Enjoy By in my fridge (15 days left to drink) and some Port Older Viscosity as well! I would do that trip every weekend if I could. Try Phil's BBQ in San Marcos... So excellent!

Geuzedad likes this.
  11. phildo7pt9

I thought the Palate Wrecker was surprising balanced for a 149 IBU beer. Very enjoyable!

craigo19 likes this.
  12. Jaredp

Jaredp Zealot (80) New York Oct 27, 2010

I've given up on IPA's. I absolutely love DIPA's, nothing beats them, they are like crack and titties combined. When I goto bars I take advantage of the fact that most bars don't offer DIPA's on draft and order something out of the ordinary to try new beers or just to give my taste buds a rest. Don't get me wrong, I will forever be grateful and appreciate a good IPA, it was my gateway to the greater and better big brothers DIPA and TIPA but once you indulge in the DIPA's its hard to go back to the IPA's. Once you go DIPA you never go Back!

13. I like all styles of beer. I love IPAs, but for me there is nothing better than finding beers that perfectly define their styles in a heavenly way. In the words of my all time favorite band:

"There's something kind of sad about the way that things have come to be. Desensitized to everything, what became of subtlety?"

Bitterbill likes this.
  14. sm0key

sm0key Savant (315) Michigan Apr 24, 2009

I think barrel aged everything is just as bad. I gotta back off and reel it in every once in a while. I force my self to get BACK into mellower beers like scotch ales, 80 shilling, esb's, etc to reset my pallet and brain.

15. If IPAs are what turn you on, there's no need to feel bad about giving up on other styles. There's a reason you broke up with them in the first place anyway.

BetterBeerPlz likes this.
  16. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

Came here to say exactly this. I used to be a total hophead, the bigger, the better. Then I eventually got tired of them. I still like a good IPA now and then, but I am not into the imperials / dipas anymore, except Ruination and Heady Topper. Instead I've gotten more into the Belgian styles, session ales, sours and the like.

17. Fahz

Fahz Savant (345) New York May 31, 2012

Seems like I keep buying stouts Imperial, Breakfast, Bourbon etc and putting them away but then I desire a growler of IPA lighter hoppier it just makes my taste buds shout hallelujah.

18. Good point. Depends on what you're looking for. I like the DIPAs that are not as balanced. Most of the ones I've had are hoppier than a regular. However, I also like the extra malts, and extra ABV.

19. [​IMG]
    I can't stop drinking the hops, but really love the VT style unfiltered American IPA/DIPA and pale ales most of all. If you remove a majority of the oils and particulate hops residue it seems to limit the depth of flavor and leaves a skinnier, somewhat less satisfying aftertaste. Zombie dust is probably the best pale ale I've had, basically tied with HF Edward and Citra. Can't wait to land Dreadnaught and Hoppy Birthday in a trade for FRESH Headies.

20. basscram

basscram Savant (365) Florida Mar 29, 2006

I wanna say that your love for the hoppier beers is something a lot of us have in common. Me included. Ones that eat the enamel off your teeth or destroy your tongue is a great feeling, then there are some pale's and regular ipa's that really POP and your thinking,.. this should be considered a higher up ipa like a dipa or if its a pale, it should be considered an ipa etc. There are so many hop varieties, when they are added, form. What I'm saying here also is that try some other pale's and ipa's cause some of them hit your tongue good and freak ya out, and are low gravity and you can have a bunch unlike dipa's which you can't without getting insanely wasted.

21. 510a

510a Savant (355) Washington Jan 12, 2013

I think we all have experienced this at one point in our beer love affair , hops have an intoxicating appeal. That does not mean you should not stop experiencing other styles. Something I have done to expand my palate is pick a different style each week or two and try to seek out the best available in my region for that style. I recently found I really like sours , far cry from hop forward styles that dominated my preferences prior to my weekly experiments. I have found at least one beer jn just about every style that I enjoy immensely. BA has an excellent list of highly rated beer in all possible styles. Variety is key to keep the hop conditioning at bay.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  22. patto1ro

patto1ro Advocate (500) Netherlands Apr 26, 2004

No. I can't drink more than one IPA in a sitting.

23. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

It's basically like heroin.

Chickenhawk9932 likes this.
  24. I feel the same way...I try other beer styles but always go back to the IPA..more HOPS please!!

25. ESHBG

ESHBG Aficionado (205) Pennsylvania Jul 30, 2011

Tool! Great song, great band! :)

victory4me likes this.
  26. Like anything else, your tastes and habits progress. When the beer revolution began here way back I embraced the new stronger beers, when West Coast hops began to be used to a greater and greater extent I enjoyed these too. I've had a go at everything from DIPAs , IPAs and so on. But what do I choose when it's available? A decent mild or failing that a bitter.Never get tired if them for pint after pint at a time.
    In aural terms I'm more interested in the music than in the noise.

Bitterbill likes this.
  27. terence

terence Savant (320) California Mar 18, 2012

IPA's and DIPA's are definitely my favorites. I haven't been able to appreciate other ales quite yet, but can't drink lagers.

28. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

I see no danger in IPAs, except they make me piss like a race horse. Hop power!

29. Two cans of heady topper is like nuclear beer fart fuel. My girlfriend literally got out of bed and went on the couch after I drank a heady, Abraisive and hopslam last night in addition to a stomach bursting portion of Indian food. Poor girl...

johzac likes this.
  30. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (290) Connecticut Aug 21, 2012

I agree 100%. I have been trending towards more hops with my kegs. SN Pale x2, Dogfish Head 60 x2, now SN Ruthless because it is in season. By the end of the keg the bite of that brand is gone, but a switch to another brand brings back the bite. Next up is likely Two Roads Road 2 Ruin which will be my first keg of a DIPA, although at 7.2 it is more like a "1.5" IPA.

31. Bnoise11

Bnoise11 Savant (305) California Dec 25, 2012

i have a hard time drinking any pilsners or lagers now due to my love of IPA's and other more flavorful beers (belgian styles, stouts, other ales)

32. ESHBG

Just curious, but why can't you drink Lagers? Not flavorful enough in your opinion?

33. I enjoy IPAs but I don't consider myself a die hard hophead. I can easily switch to other styles at any time.

34. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

why do you think I have been pounding Genesee, Schaefer and Best ice for weeks man!............. I too feel your pain............... there is only one solution...... regress........ or stop drinking beer for 2-3 weeks.... but we know thats not an option............... so go back to your roots for a while......... trust me... its worth it:D

35. terence

terence Savant (320) California Mar 18, 2012

Right, just not enough flavor. Perhaps, I haven't found any good ones yet.

36. nc41

nc41 Advocate (660) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I find myself only wanting to drink great IPA's or DIPA's, I can't do middle of the road brews anymore. I love a great crisp IPA, but what I really like isn't available here, brews like Blind Pig, Flower Power, Head Hunter, Zombie Dust etc. have ruined me from drinking and enjoying brews like Hop Devil and a Smutty. Great DIPA's are special and the best ones are almost magical, nothing worse than a mediocre DIPA. It can be a tough road that's for sure.

37. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

I've actually found it easier to come back after IPAs and DIPAs. There's a much wider beer world out there and killing my palate constantly with big hoppy beers would be doing it a disservice.

herrburgess likes this.
  38. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

I'm glad that I have tread lightly w/IPAs as I have singled a handful out that I really enjoy based on the flavor of hops used. The reason I say this is I have a couple of friends that were in the very same boat & @ this point have completely BURNED out on IPAs all together. I have one friend that won't even sniff a pale ale because he just went down that road, IPAs to DIPAs to TIPAs to get that "cat piss" away from me. I mean he won't even consider SN pale Ale or Bell's Two Hearted he's in complete revolt, pretty strange, but then peoples tastes change.

39. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (700) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

I found this to be true for me as well. It's not always how much hops they use it's how they use them.

40. ESHBG

I am a big Lager fan but I do understand what you are saying, and there are some good ones out there for sure. My advice would be to enjoy a Lager strictly for what it is and don't try to compare its flavor profile to anything you would find in an Ale.

YogiBeer, acevenom and Bitterbill like this.