1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dark Horse 4 Elf Party

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by ROBSTARR, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MSEGUIN

MSEGUIN Savant (375) Michigan Apr 6, 2011

As this is my first year attending 4Elf. Can any veterans of this party reccomend a good time for getting in line for the tokens?
  2. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

Yesterday. No seriously, it's frigging cold out here.
  3. dbc5

dbc5 Savant (455) Ohio Jun 18, 2009

I see some people mentioning the issue of line cutting leading to excessively long waits in the beer purchasing line. Shouldn't this be a nonissue given that tokens are being passed out earlier in the day? If I am reading their website correctly, it sounds as if everyone will have numbered tokens and we will simply be finding out spot in line, based on those number, right around 3 when the doors for the party open.
  4. steebo777

steebo777 Savant (485) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

They start handing them out at 11am, and pretty much will be able to buy bottles all day, so need to get there too early.

The line cutting added to the wait last year. This year they are checking numbers once you lineup inside the brewery, so it shouldn't be too long of a wait. It was inside that people were cutting and thus making the wait longer.
  5. dblab33

dblab33 Savant (320) Michigan Dec 9, 2011

If everyone behaves and realizes that all night camp outs are NOT necessary for this and other releases, you should be able to get there right at 11 and still be good for BA Plead the 5th.
    danp14 likes this.
  6. dblab33

dblab33 Savant (320) Michigan Dec 9, 2011

Last year no one from DH was checking token numbers, so a shitload of people cut after 3 once we got inside.
    Marti403 and raymo55 like this.
  7. JohnB87

Just to let people know (because I know a lot of people coming are new this year): Dark Horse did have a bunch of carbonation issues last year with their 750ml bottles. It's been kind of a crap shoot when it comes to whether you'll get a good one or not.

Who knows what this year will bring, but I just wanted to throw out the word of warning.

That being said, I am getting more excited by the day for this party.
    steebo777 likes this.
  8. dbc5

Good to hear that some steps are being taken to improve things this year. Just so I am clear and don't ruffle any feathers come the day of the party, would it be problematic (i.e., seen as line cutting) if I go my token at 11 am, then returned to the premises sometime around 2:45 to find my spot in line based on my token number? I was planning to make some other beer related stops after picking up my token (checking out Bell's, perhaps the Livery), but will change plans if it is not acceptable to come back just before doors open and jump into my token slotted place in line.
  9. JohnB87

Absolutely not. Last year, I went with a friend and stopped by at 12:15 to get our tokens, laughed at all the passed out drunks in their cars, then went to Kalamazoo to get lunch and drink Eccentric Ale while we waited for 4elf to start.
    steebo777 likes this.
  10. steebo777

That's what most people are doing I would assume.
  11. danp14

danp14 Savant (270) Michigan Dec 12, 2011

In theory that's how it should've worked. But there's always someone who is more important than everyone else so they should automatically get to the front regardless of numbers.
  12. dbc5

Thanks for all the quick and helpful responses. I'm looking forward to what promises to be an excellent party.
    steebo777 likes this.
  13. steebo777

Which won't happen because they're checking token numbers at the front, so we won't have to deal with that BS this year!
  14. danp14

danp14 Savant (270) Michigan Dec 12, 2011

It's good to hear there are not going to be any diplomats attending the party who need special treatment. :D
    It should make for a way better party. No one should have any reason to be angry at this party. Even if the bottle buying line is long. The party itself is awesome, personally, i'm looking more toward the chance to try some of these beers on tap than the bottle list at this point.
  15. Another quick token # question, which may or not be answerable. Say you show up late and get token #283 or something. Do you have to wait in line the whole time until your number comes up, or can you go eat drink and be merry until they get to like #250 and then line up? Didn't Kuhnhenn do something like that last year, calling up ten numbers at a time or something? I thought that system worked quite well. Either way, looking forward to the Saturday spectacle.
  16. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Really looking forward to this. I'm driving back to Detroit area after getting bottles, so drinking will be kept to a minimum. However, can't wait to meet ya'll and get at least a few sips of some great beers.
  17. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

You're making a huge mistake not taking in the party.
    steebo777, normyk, JohnB87 and 3 others like this.
  18. Steimie

Tell me about it. Pregnant wife at home. What ya gonna do?
    founder26 likes this.
  19. Marti403

Marti403 Savant (460) Michigan Jul 23, 2011

Last year, we waited in the bottle line and tried a couple of beers on draft while waiting, then bought our bottles and took off. This year, we got a hotel room and are looking forward to the party and to putting names/faces with avatars.
    JohnB87 likes this.
  20. lurchingbeast

Sounds like the perfect DD.
    ravot, Zaphog, JohnB87 and 1 other person like this.
  21. Steimie

I like to continue to have her as my pregnant wife, not my pregnant ex-wife.
    MarkIntihar, Zaphog, JohnB87 and 3 others like this.
  22. lurchingbeast

We all have different priorities I suppose.
    adamdd, MarkIntihar, JohnB87 and 6 others like this.
  23. Exactly. I have 2 kids, and my wife was my DD twice. 18 months of being able to drink without having to have the conversation at a restaurant/bar..."OK, who is drinking and who is taking it easy tonight?"
  24. Flabbyjandro

Flabbyjandro Savant (435) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

Just got the ultimatum from the wife, no party for me after weeks of anticipation. If anyone from Chicago or Kalamazoo area is going and not planning to get their full 2cade allotment hit me up....I have funding and a heck of a cellar list For a few extras to say thanks for waiting in the cold. Thanks and have a blackout good time everyone!
  25. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

If anyone is staying at the Comfort Inn or in Marshall on Friday night and is interested in a bottle share AT the Comfort Inn, hit me. I think we have a decent crew who is interested in playing it cool and sharing some bottles/gabbing about beer.
  26. Romulux

Romulux Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 28, 2008

The Chicago Rampaging Ransacking Horde does not "Gab". At least that is what I have heard.:)
  27. Jakers90

Jakers90 Aficionado (215) Michigan Mar 13, 2011

I live 20 mins north of marshall, would be willing to come down for a few good brews, have some nice ones that need to be shared. That is if ur up to that kinda thing.
    Cheers!
  28. WITTBEER

WITTBEER Aficionado (245) Illinois Jan 12, 2008

I'm coming in from Chicagoland sometime Friday. I'm staying at the Holiday Inn, but would consider stopping by. What time are you thinking?
  29. JohnB87

Don't do it! Marc told me he plans on drugging the bottles so he can get in line first!
  30. steebo777

I was planning on it too.
  31. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Okay, well I'm thinking of arriving around 5 to check in, grab some dinner... From the sound of things, a bottle share starting at 9 or so might be in order. 231-7666 from the 906. Don't text me pictures of your wife's balls either.
    steebo777 likes this.
  32. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (465) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

Do it!!!
    MarcatGSB likes this.
  33. ravot

ravot Savant (435) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

probably getting desperate here. ISO of a room for friday night, one night only. seems like my only ride up to marshall leaves friday night but no room for me to stay. I only need this for friday night as i got a place to stay saturday night. I can throw in towards the room rates. i'm cool dude, i swear. just ask mishuggah. he knows what i always wear.
  34. JLG193

JLG193 Savant (250) Michigan Sep 14, 2010

Howards Motel has rooms for $49/night.....2 miles away from DH.
    ravot likes this.
  35. ravot

ravot Savant (435) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

i might have to do that and not feel like a slut. the rates aren't bad at all.
  36. tat2dhllblly

tat2dhllblly Savant (350) Ohio Apr 10, 2010

Wife and I are staying at the Holiday Inn. Might be interested in the Comfort Bottle share.
  37. Theeabyss

Theeabyss Aficionado (190) Illinois Apr 19, 2012

Tying to see what time people are starting to line up for this event.....
  38. lurchingbeast

There is no reason to get there super early.
  39. steebo777

Gonna line up about 11am
    iceatalamo, raymo55, dblab33 and 2 others like this.
  40. JohnB87

Contemplating getting an elf costume for this. I'll be the elf version of Bad Santa.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.