1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dark Horse Double Crooked in Minneapolis?

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by MNPikey, Mar 11, 2014.

1. MNPikey

MNPikey Savant (475) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

Picked up a couple bottels at the Nova a week or so ago and it was great. Anyone seen it around?
  2. Nova just tapped it today
  3. MNPikey

I saw that.
  4. AndrewPalmer

AndrewPalmer Savant (300) Minnesota Jan 11, 2013

MGM woodbury had some
  5. McRyan likes this.
  6. Ish1

Ish1 Savant (305) Minnesota Feb 25, 2010

Yeah, let's let that DIPA age for a while before releasing it. Sound logic.....

BrettHead, Mnmaverick, McRyan and 3 others like this.
  7. McRyan

McRyan Aficionado (220) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

Please Tweet this to them!
    BrettHead and Mnmaverick like this.
  8. EJJ1848

EJJ1848 Savant (360) Minnesota Jun 24, 2013

Don't worry guys. Tiered distribution isn't flawed...
    BrettHead and SNReject like this.
  9. With that said, if you were going to age a DIPA, DCT would be the one to do it with. I've had 3 year verticals of it before and it's a great experiment. This is the description on the Dark Horse website:

DOUBLE CROOKED TREE IPA
    Have you read the description for the regular Crooked Tree yet? Well this beer is almost the same just double the flavor and alcohol. We actually took the Crooked Tree recipe and doubled all of the ingredients except the water, just the way a DOUBLE should be made. Big hops balanced with tons of malt give this beer a huge body. Although this beer is as cool as “The Fonz” when first purchased, it gets really mellow and smooth with some age. After a year or two stored in a cool dark place you’ll notice the heavy caramel and malt flavors are trying to sneak past the hops. This beer is hugely delicious so it will need your undivided attention (the chores can wait….trust us).
  10. jera1350

jera1350 Advocate (730) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

Let's let the consumer decide to age then. Some people like aged Hopslam and Abrasive. That doesn't mean the distributor should wait until all of the old Furious and Two Hearted gets sold before shipping out the new special release.
    Ish1 and Mnmaverick like this.
  11. SNReject

SNReject Disciple (55) Jun 26, 2012

I really gotta wonder if dark horse knows about this, and if not, what they would have to say.
    McRyan likes this.
  12. Totally agree with you BTW.
    Ish1 likes this.
  13. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Advocate (505) Minnesota Feb 23, 2013

This stuff is outstanding with some age to it. I know what it says on the lable but I dont consider it an IIPA. Much closer to a barleywine.
  14. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Advocate (505) Minnesota Feb 23, 2013

[quotis="jera1350, post: 2240622, member: 179422"]Let's let the consumer decide to age then. Some people like aged Hopslam and Abrasive. That doesn't mean the distributor should wait until all of the old Furious and Two Hearted gets sold before shipping out the new special release.[/quote]
    This is a good point though.
  15. MNPikey

And the real reason we don't get certain special release beers on a given date suddenly comes out...
    Mnmaverick and McRyan like this.
  16. We'll see if they hold KBS so they can sell All Day:confused:
    McRyan and Ish1 like this.
  17. Ish1

Ish1 Savant (305) Minnesota Feb 25, 2010

Or holding BCBS to move some honkers or 312. Shit......that just might work. Never mind!
  18. Just had one from last year.
    Definitely good with age, IMO.

Release them already!
  19. jjjoe

jjjoe Aficionado (120) Minnesota Dec 6, 2008

Here is the real scoop:

The person tweeting didn't have the whole truth and misspoke. We/JJ Taylor received less than half of our Double Crooked Tree allotment on the first shipment and the remaining quantity on the second (not enough room on the truck). Rather than release a few cases one week and a bunch more a couple weeks later we decided to hold the first load until we could release all of it at once and avoid upsetting out retailers.

It was released for sales today. You will see it out in the market this week.

Cheers.

Joe
    Mnmaverick and gatornation like this.
  20. \m/
  21. theCoder

theCoder Savant (320) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

This...

I have a 4 year vertical downstairs. Just opened one of the 3 year old ones a coupld weeks ago and is drinking so amazing. I intend to do a 5 year vert here this spring.
    McRyan and Mnmaverick like this.
  22. MNPikey

Its everywhere.
  23. McRyan

McRyan Aficionado (220) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

Not in NE.