1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree (2013)

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by FEUO, Feb 28, 2013.

1. I was at Dark Horse on Monday night (3/25), cost from their store across the parking lot from pub: Dbl Crooked Tree 4-pak $15.99 & Plead 5th 4-pak $11.99, MI sales tax $1.68

BTW, fresh snifter in pub of DCT was $5.50 and it was awesome. Just missed keg of Artic IPA (citra backwards), hear that's a great IPA.

2. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

It (Artic) is really, really good. I believe it's supposed to be part of the special IPA packs they're releasing fairly soon.

founder26 likes this.
  3. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Savant (400) Michigan Apr 13, 2012

Fresh, fresh, fresh. I couldn't keep mine around, for sure. Outstanding, in a word. Finding the right
    temperature 'sweet-spot' is half or more the fun of it!

jaIsPoAn likes this.
  4. Japple

Japple Aficionado (180) New York Jan 1, 2011

I'm fairly new at cellaring, and had some recent bad experiences with ipa's. threw Southern tier Hoppe and Oaked unearthly in the cellar for like 10 months. was freaking psyched about the Oaked, but the profile completely changed. it definitely drank like a not great barleywine. all that white sediment developed, which i have no idea what that stuff is, although I'm sure many of you do. moral of the story, I'll never not drink an ipa fresh again.

5. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (460) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

Im going to need a photo of said glass. (And possibly ISO)

6. JDizzle

JDizzle Savant (405) Indiana Aug 24, 2010

I just bought 4 packs of DCT and Pt5 from the brewery. They are $15.99 and $11.99, respectively.

7. geneseohawk

geneseohawk Savant (440) Illinois Nov 4, 2008

Its a great Barleywine!

KhakCane, steebo777 and tommyz like this.
  8. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

yep, those are the prices when I bought them the day of the release..

9. Just was able to grab a four pack. I really enjoyed the beer. Definatly not your average (i use this word lightly) DIPA. Unique but awesome. Amazed that this is a 12% beer.

10. Double Crooked Tree either loses some hops really fast or was made in two batches this year. First release in Lansing area was late Jan. early Feb., and second round just hit stores last week (bought some March 1). The first 4-pack had much more forward hop presence, but I think the 4-packs from last week are slightly less assertive with hops up front (and on the nose) and you get slightly more caramel. Think I still have 6, so I'll stash 2 and try at 6 and 12 months, but I like this too much fresh to wait on most.

11. Really enjoyed it fresh last year. Bought a fresh bottle this year and the floral quality seemed greatly reduced. Almost drank more like a fresh barleywine.

KhakCane likes this.
  12. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Just cracked into a 2009 a few nights ago. No hop character really to speak of but a damn fine backbone to the beer as a Barleywine.

KhakCane likes this.
  13. OMG, mixed thoughts on fresh vs aged :eek:

OP, just drink a few fresh and age a few.

14. It hits Peoria for sure, and you might want to check Bloomington-Normal as well (Try Friar Tuck's in Peoria and B/N and maybe Binny's in B/N as well)

15. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Savant (450) Indiana Oct 19, 2006

If by "cellar" you mean refrigerate for 10 months, the white sediment might have been chill haze.

16. calcnerd

calcnerd Savant (420) Pennsylvania Oct 26, 2009

Hopefully I can find some this year. I lucked out last year and got 2 cases. Drank one and still have the other full case in the cellar :)

I'll have to crack one soon.

17. steebo777

Had a fresh one on tap last night, the alcohol is really hidden well this year!

Docrock and szmnnl99 like this.
  18. Japple

Japple Aficionado (180) New York Jan 1, 2011

No. When i said new i meant new in the literal sense, not new to the world. I know what cellaring means. I have a large collection of beers that i keep in a closet in my basement that leads to the foundation of my house.

19. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (680) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

Has it been easier or harder to find in SE Michigan this year for you guys?
    I might buy another 4 pack.

20. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Savant (450) Indiana Oct 19, 2006

Well, aging IPA's lead me to believe you were new to this world. Sorry to have offended you.

ncketchum likes this.
  21. atomic

atomic Savant (445) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Woah thats crazy
    I bought one of each for $3 something a bottle. Maybe those where from last year?

22. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (540) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

You guys would throw up if you knew what they charged distributors...

23. StoutIrish

StoutIrish Savant (340) Indiana Jan 16, 2012

I'm not sure what they were but I found some Double around me for $16 something. I'll look closer next time.

24. It's available at two stores on this side of town, maybe three... at least an $8 price difference between those locations.

25. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

I paid $15 for a 4 pack of double crooked tree

26. I just had one the other night. I wrote in my review that I would like to see how it aged based on its alcohol presence. Everyone here who says they won't drink an aged IPA or DIPA, I'd like to invoke the DIPA vs. Barleywine argument. With some age the hops mellow for sure, but the malt is bold enough survive and evolve. I'd be very interested in aging some Double Crooked Tree.

27. Fresh or aged, it's still better than the abomination known as Founders Devil Dancer.

iL0VEbeer, Rimbimhoot and steebo777 like this.
  28. i want to try this beer but i will not pay 18.99 for a 4 pack! yuup 18.99 gitthefukouttheaaao_O

29. erichall

erichall Aficionado (185) Kentucky Nov 13, 2008

Didn't this use to be even higher abv? I recall drinking one that was 14% or so a few years ago.

BoneyardBrewer likes this.
  30. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Haven't had it in bottle yet this year, but we have it on draft where I work, definitely good and very very murky looking.

31. steebo777

The one I just had at the bar and home was 14.4%

32. If anyone needs any, hit me up on BM. I have 20 bottles sitting in front of me.

33. I would normally never age a DIPA, but I aged one of these from last year upon recommemdation, and I must say it is better after a year in my cellar than it is fresh.

34. erichall

erichall Aficionado (185) Kentucky Nov 13, 2008

The bottles we have in my store are 12%.

35. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

My 2 are both marked 12℅. One was from kzoo, another SE MI.

I have some 2 yo Corne du Diable that has turned into a very nice barleywine. I would age DCT without hesitation.

36. My bottles are marked 12% also, however the four pack holder reads 13.6%.

37. This may be true with many breweries, although I found some Right Brain bottles in Ann Arbor and farther East a few weeks back. I have yet to find any Right Brain bottles in SW MI.

38. Just picked up a 4pack. Usually I like to chill IPAS/DIPAS, but it sounds like this may be better warm, any recommendations?

39. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I like it about 50.

El_Zilcho likes this.