1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by imfrommichigan, Jan 24, 2013.

1. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

Has anyone heard anything about a release this year? It's usually this time of year you see it. One of my all time favorites.

Also, how are bottles with a year on them compared to fresh? I'm excited to try it. It definitely has a nice malty base to where I could see it being great after a year.

2. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Website just says February. No firm details.

3. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

hung on to a couple to try them with a year on it.

4. I held on to a few from last year. I think this one fell off after about 6 months.

5. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

Like most IPA's. I just thought that this had a good enough malt base to where it would still hold up and turn into a barley wine. I only followed the instructions on the box!

6. MSandahl23

MSandahl23 Advocate (545) Indiana Mar 29, 2012

It's awesome with a year + on it in my opinion, the malt base holds up as you would expect....

Jips, bozodogbreath and GraniteSkunk like this.
  7. GraniteSkunk

GraniteSkunk Savant (375) Illinois Apr 17, 2007

I absolutely love Double Crooked with a year or even two on it. I think its such a different beer that its very hard to compare aged v. Fresh

bozodogbreath and raymo55 like this.
  8. I think I remember seeing it in stores mid-Feb. last year, shouldn't be much longer. My wallet should be hurting from this and Pt5!

9. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

I like it fresh, love it with 1-2 years on it.

10. Jose2412

Jose2412 Aficionado (240) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

I'm glad to hear this is good with a year or two on it. I saved a few from last year and also found one last year that was from 2011. Excited to try a small vert of this to see how it changed.

MSandahl23 likes this.
  11. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (415) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

It always seems to come out a month or so after they list. At least that is what I remember from years past. I am not saying will not come out on time, I just wouldn't bank on it.

12. jacob4999

jacob4999 Savant (310) Michigan Dec 9, 2008

In SE Michigan I've bought this and PT5 at the same time the last two years.

13. I just saw that DCT is on the Dark Horse beer list for the Traverse City Beer Festival that runs Feb. 2-9, so it must be getting close to being released.

14. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Deschutes doubles their Pale Ale and calls it a Barleywine, Dark Horse doubles their IPA and calls it a DIPA. Something to chew on. Double Crooked Tree is not your standard DIPA and I do not believe your standard DIPA thoughts should be applied to this beer. It is a personal thing but I hate when people say a beer of one style "turns into" another style. It may be semantics but in my mind it just does not happen. DCT straddles the line of DIPA and Barelywine when fresh. It ages wonderfully and could easily be compared to a Barleywine with age, it doesn't turn into one because it was already there.

surlytheduff and Jose2412 like this.
  15. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (475) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

I only buy DCT to hide it in the cellar for a year or two....that's when it is best.

robwestcott likes this.
  16. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Getting bottled right now per their FB page!

[​IMG]

beerhan likes this.
  17. Jose2412

Jose2412 Aficionado (240) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

I've been having an issue for a while when other breweries call their beers double IPAs when they are infact not doubling the recipe. I feel if all the ingredients are not doubled (where DCT doubles everything but the water) it shouldn't be called a DIPA, should be an Imperial IPA.

18. adamant1912

adamant1912 Savant (395) Michigan Jan 10, 2010

I saw this posted to FB today, very excited, curious about availability this year.

19. Mahoning

Mahoning Aficionado (110) Jan 23, 2013

I'm heading to this brewery in a few weeks.....excited for Double Crooked Tree.

I'm just worried that Plead the 5th won't be released by the time I go there.

20. landrewg

landrewg Aficionado (235) Michigan Nov 11, 2008

Has anyone seen this in SE Mich yet?

21. Double Crooked Tree and Plead the Fifth were spotted in Battle Creek at Horrocks tonight. I think the DCT was $18.99 for a 4-pack, but I don't remember the price on the Plead the Fifth.

22. I've seen it all over the place in Kalamzoo today, Mega-Bev, Drakes and even D&W had plenty of both, running $16.99-$18.99 a pack for the Double Crooked Tree and less for the Plead the Fifth.

23. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

Interesting as I bought Double Crooked Tree at the Brewery for $20.....Plead the 5th was 15.99 there fyi..

24. Chi81

Chi81 Zealot (90) Illinois Dec 22, 2010

Double Crooked Tree was only 15.99 at the brewery last night

25. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

need to check my receipt..Maybe I had a few to many DCT, lol