1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dark Horse in NoVA

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by tzolandz, Feb 16, 2013.

1. tzolandz

tzolandz Aficionado (195) Virginia Mar 17, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised when i went into my local total wine today and saw a selection of beers from Dark Horse. they said they had just gotten them in. have they always been here or is this new? They had Pt5 in their computer system so hopefully some will come this way.
  2. 2dogbrew

2dogbrew Savant (410) Virginia Mar 2, 2009

I noticed the same thing at Total Wine McLean this week. Really happy to see this brewery in VA, they are new to the state, don't know when but must be recent.

According to the Dark Horse site, Pt5 is a February release but the McLean store didn't know anything about this one.
  3. They entered the Richmond area last year and must have just arrived in NoVA. That's great news, all their beers are excellent.
  4. Richmond has received, i think, only two shipments of Dark Horse in the six-or-so months they've been distributed here. the most recent included the One, Too, and Tres stouts, but nobody's been able to say anything definite about the next two. really hope they don't run into the same situation CCB did and end up having to pull out...
  5. I also noticed that Twisted Pine is also now in NoVA (at least at Total Wine). The McLean store has a number of different TP brews, including Espresso Shot and Ghostface Killah.
  6. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (510) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Pt5 will be coming to Richmond and nova within the next few weeks. Limited cases though. As well as double crooked tree.
  7. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

Tried the Ipa and Black Ipa. Wasn't really a fan of either. I didn't see a bottle date and wondered if that had anything to do with it.
  8. CUE45

CUE45 Aficionado (205) Virginia Jul 29, 2008

I also purchased a Crooked Tree IPA sixer at Whole Foods Fair Lakes and was very dissapointed. Not what I remember it tasting like when I tried it in IN last year. It was a gamble since there is no bottle date. I should know better!
  9. BeastLU

Be on the look out for pt5 during the first week in march on the nova area.
  10. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Savant (350) Virginia Nov 20, 2012

Had the ghostface killah last week....wow...pepper, pepper, pepper, HEAT. Hoping bbpt5 makes it in but not holding my breath....
  11. BeastLU

Bbpt5 is a brewery only release unfortunately...

I like to boil sausages in the ghost face the grill em for like one minute.
  12. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Savant (350) Virginia Nov 20, 2012

That's right....I like the idea of the sausages, that mess sounds crazy good...
  13. if you guys got those recently, they've been sitting on a shelf for months. as poorly as the Special Black Ale aged, i imagine it's way worse with the IPAs.

my sources have confirmed Four, Pt5, and Double Crooked Tree, but as noted above, no BBPt5.
  14. BeastLU

Couldn't have been sitting for too long, just got started being distro'ed up there about a month ago
  15. I don't know, I tried the Crooked Tree when it got here. I wasn't impressed, and it just seemed to me like the beer was old. If so thats a pretty shitty way to introduce a brand into a region.
  16. BeastLU

Yeah I don't know how old the actual beer is I just know it just came to nova in late jan.
  17. There was a good bit of sediment in there too. Maybe someone who knows this beer can chime in, its not always the case but usually means the beer is gettin old.
  18. BeastLU

Good stuff hit Richmond...

[​IMG]
  19. In the last week or two, I've seen what appears to be almost their whole current lineup at NoVA TWs -- including Kmita Kolsch, Amber Ale, Perkulator Coffee Dopplebock, the One - Fore Stouts, and Crooked Tree. Haven't seen Double Crooked Tree or Pt5 yet, nor have I seen their stuff at any other bottle shop, so I'm wondering if they have some special arrangement with TW.
  20. tzolandz

tzolandz Aficionado (195) Virginia Mar 17, 2012

Whole Foods got a bunch of their stuff too. Picked up Scotty Karate there.
  21. BradStokley

BradStokley Savant (340) Maryland Jan 19, 2013

Any Pt5 sightings in NoVa?
  22. C20Percent

C20Percent Savant (315) Virginia Aug 24, 2011

I bought some today from the Ashburn Wine Shop. Two bottle limit. And kind of pricey.
  23. BeastLU

Ahsburn Wine Shop has Double Crooked Tree too!
  24. LMT

LMT Savant (305) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

Picked up Scotty Karate at TW in Chantilly...first time I've seen it in NoVA. Only one 4-pack left on shelves after I bought mine.
  25. 2dogbrew

2dogbrew Savant (410) Virginia Mar 2, 2009

Picked up Plead the 5th at TW McLean today - 4 packs for $8, limit 1 per
  26. BeastLU

Believe this hit 757 recently too.