1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dark Horse Lambeak Wants Blood Orange...what's the deal?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Duff27, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Duff27

Duff27 Advocate (600) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

My group got together last week and had this and I think I was the only one who managed two sips. It tasted and smelled like straight nail polish remover. Now I normally like/love sours and wilds but this was just awful. Nearly 1200 reviews/hads and this has beer my worst beer experience. How Dark Horse could bottle this and sell it is baffling to me. I know it's like, my opinion man...but damn. We immediately had DH King of the Forest afterwards and that wasn't much better.

Any other experiences with these beers?
    If not, what beer have you found unexpectedly horrible recently?

2. Sounds exactly like the general reaction to FFF Bully Guppy.

jegross2 likes this.
  3. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

All of the sours from this years 4elf party were terrible, acetone dominated horrors, with the possible exception of sour 3 Guys.

4. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Dark Horse has no business making sours, they are all pathetic acetic messes

Zaphog and TheIpaGuy like this.
  5. egrace84

egrace84 Champion (845) Illinois Mar 25, 2012

I was part of the tasting group that experienced this living nightmare :( I absolutely love me some Dark Horse brews and just could'nt believe this one. If you are a reputable brewery and produce some amazing beers, then how the hell do you bottle and sell this disaster to your customers?... C'mon Dark Horse... you know better.

hopfenunmaltz likes this.
  6. Seems about on par with what I've heard from anyone that's tasted a DH sour... I've only tried the KotF, and I was far from impressed.

7. egrace84

egrace84 Champion (845) Illinois Mar 25, 2012

Lambeak wants a refund... and taste buds back.

jegross2, Caterwaul, dvelcich and 4 others like this.
  8. lurchingbeast

I liked Whiskey Richard from 2 years ago, and Lambeak Wants Raspberry was good once it carbed. But after these sour releases, I think it would be for the best to quit their sour experimentation.

9. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (415) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

I opened a Raspberry Lambeek from 2010 and it was great. I agree the bottles they release this year at 4 elf were horrible, but it is overstatement to say all their sours are bad. Sahti was pretty damn good.

10. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (680) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

Some are acetic (Aigre Plead jumps out), but the big problem this year was that almost every sour had some degree of acetone (from large to poisonous in the case of the Blood Orange Lambeak). Blood Orange Lambeak vs. Bully Guppy would be the poison beer showdown.

Again the best part about the long wait to purchase bottled beers was the ability to try everything we were going to buy and saving a lot of money by skipping all the sours (except for Sour 3 Guys)

Cheers!

11. sarcastro

I think they just to taste them before and not release the shitty ones.

12. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

Raspberry was the only one I considered decent. The peach was awful and I wasn't really a fan of the whiskey tuna.

13. lurchingbeast

Blood Orange Lambeak was worse than Bully Guppy. *dun dun dunnnnnnn*

And I absolutely agree with your last sentence. I went in planning to drop something close to $500, left spending right around $300. Opening bottles to sample was not in DH's best interest.

ravot and TheIpaGuy like this.
  14. sarcastro

Amen to that.

15. lurchingbeast

Somebody share a Sour 3 Guys with me (the beer, perv). I was too drunk at 4Elf, so I forgot to buy some.

16. weatherdog

weatherdog Savant (470) Illinois Nov 7, 2007

Luckily I have not not had this years lambeaks, but I thought the Sour 3 Guys tasted like sour soy sauce. I shudder to think of the possibility that the lambeaks were worse than Bully Guppy.

17. lurchingbeast

Only Blood Orange was worse than Bully Guppy. Dragonfruit was worse than Biggs''Stache, however.

Edit: Looking back, I should have bought bottles of all of them. Then we could have a DH vs FFF sour showdown. Which brewery can make you go blind first.

18. I opened an Aigre the morning of Haymarket's anniversary party with 4 friends and none of us got an acetone flavor at all. Perhaps there was a bad barrel?

19. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (680) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

The aigre we tried at 4Elf was one of the only sours (along with 3 Guys) that didn't exhibit acetone flavors, but it was acetic (vinegar) to a point. I thought it was ok, but skipped on purchasing bottles.

Cheers!

20. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

sour 3 guys was an acetone bomb.

jegross2 and lurchingbeast like this.
  21. lurchingbeast

I am shocked. Shocked!!!

22. beesy

beesy Savant (380) Ohio Jul 21, 2010

Idk - I was planning on buying a bottle before I tasted it on tap. Yikes - fingernail polish is an understatement. The dragon fruit i had was much better imho.

Duff27 likes this.
  23. sarcastro

I thought the Aiger was pretty good at 4 elf.

24. ChefBergo

ChefBergo Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 9, 2011

Someone we were chilling with at the Four Elf party ordered one of the Lambeak's took two sips and passed to the rest of the group...all we could manage was a sniff, that's all it took to realize it was a complete mess.

25. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

This is the correct answer.

26. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I cracked one on New Years Eve... It, Umm, hopefully needs some time. Border line undrinkable. I know MichiBrew opened one of his too, and he sent me a text shortly after stating "Sour guy is undrinkable, bleh"

MichiBrew likes this.
  27. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (430) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

ahhh this topic lives again..... long live the midwest "sour." I think everyone had the same experience at the party of one guy in line buying one of beers being sold in bottles, it then being sampled by a large group and it then not being bought everyone who tried it. Wonder if the brite tank or something got jacked up by some wild yeast and that crap infected every single "sour" they were bottling/kegging.

28. I couldn't help but notice at 4elf that all of the barrels in the barrel room had dry airlocks in their bungs. Probable culprit?

Gonzoillini and Duff27 like this.
  29. lurchingbeast

They also had no paraffin wax on the top half.

Gonzoillini and yeahnatenelson like this.
  30. The acetone smell is ethyl acetate, which yeast make. At high levels it smells like acetone. It is a sign of a major quality issue, poor yeast management. if the air locks were dry, the O2 might be the problem.

Had tasted 3 different DH beers in 750s at a gathering. All had the all solvent smell and were dumped. Instant headache beer. We all lost respect for DH they day. These beers should have kissed the sewer at the brewery.

Gonzoillini likes this.
  31. Duff27

I guess my biggest question is why were they released, and taking a step further released at a premium price, given the known QC issues with them. Surely it was sampled before bottling, right?

32. sarcastro

This is exactly how I felt. Very disappointing that DH would release these beers at all. Either they didnt try them, or tried them and released them anyways. Either way, much respect was lost that day. I will never buy anything from them without trying it first.

Duff27 and steebo777 like this.
  33. lurchingbeast

From what I heard the day of the party, they bottled the Lambeaks the day before the party. Someone who helped bottle told us he got to try them during bottling and warned us of what was to come. If volunteers can try the beers, why wouldn't the staff.

34. Let's be honest, if you bought any of these it is your fault. Minus maybe the first few people in line, you had plenty of time to try any beer you wanted. As soon as one of the Lambeaks hit my lips I knew I was saving money that day. That said DH still should have drain pour this before it hit the public.

JohnB87 likes this.
  35. sarcastro

So Dark Horse bears no responsibility for it?

jegross2 likes this.
  36. sarcastro

I heard the same thing from the same person, but i don't know that anyone at DH tried it so I personally cant say for sure. I like to assume it was they didn't try it before. More than likely it was they tried it and released it anyways, which is way worse in my book.

Duff27 and lurchingbeast like this.
  37. northernbrews

northernbrews Savant (375) Michigan Apr 12, 2006

I love alot of the stuff Dark Horse puts out but this will make me second guess buying some of their bottles in the future.

The fact that they bottled "sour" Plead the 5th and 3 Guys, which arguably are two of the best examples of their styles I've ever tried, just doesn't seem right. Sure doesn't seem like they intentionally soured these but tried the end product and figured someone would buy them instead of dumping thousands of $ down the drain. And if they did intentionally sour these, then why gamble with a proven winner?

I know I couldn't see Bell's releasing Sour Expedition for example.

jegross2 likes this.
  38. If you read my whole post you will notice that I said DH should have never bottled them. Seriously though, most people waited many hours before they bought their bottles. At that point it is on you.

39. sarcastro

I did read the whole thing. What if someone actually paid attention to the sign that said if you got out of line for bottles, you lost your spot? What if someone couldnt drink 1 of everything? What if they couldnt drink at all for some reason and just came to buy bottles to go? What about the people at the front of the line that didnt get to try before they bought? I could keep going. Just because you got to try before you purchased doesnt mean everyone was in the same situation.

steebo777 likes this.
  40. Duff27

In my situation the beers were bought for a friend who could not attend. Normally I'd agree with you in the case of everyone has different tastes for different styles but I don't feel this is a case of a beer not being up to someone's liking, it was awful and undrinkable.

JohnfromPurdue likes this.