1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dark Horse Plead the 5th (2013)

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by mjshearer1, Jan 21, 2013.

1. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (650) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

I had one from last year that tasted great. Lookiing forward to the '12 vs '13 this weekend.
  2. I agree. What's weird was the first 3 bottles were fine, I had two 4 packs so I'm not sure which bottles came from which 4 pack but they both should be from the same batch but so far the last two bottles i've had have tasted infected.
  3. Czar_chasm

Czar_chasm Savant (330) Michigan Jun 20, 2012

I've heard of them having problems with QC for past batches. I'm far from an expert so maybe someone else knows more...
  4. spambum

spambum Zealot (90) Florida Apr 10, 2012

Does anyone know if they sell 4-packs or cases at the brewery? And what the cost is?
  5. Yes they do, if i remember right its around $15 per 4 pack
  6. It is awesome! Just picked up a case!!
  7. maddogg

maddogg Aficionado (125) New York Jan 15, 2010

Just landed in Ny. Cant wait, cracking a double crooked tree as i type. Delicous!
  8. love it. maybe even more than founders RIS.
    KhakCane and TwelveOunces like this.
  9. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

still can't find any
  10. BobSmooth

BobSmooth Initiate (0) Illinois Dec 19, 2009

I'm not positive but I think they are 12/13 down here near Peoria.
  11. A place I buy a lot of my beer got some cases of this in and I'm debating whether or not I want to buy a case.
  12. chalsk

chalsk Aficionado (175) New Jersey Jan 21, 2010

Where in NY?
  13. Yep, same taste. It's like a sour stout.
  14. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Just opened a cellared '09 Plead and wow does this get better with time. It reminds me of what happens to Expedition. Basically the dark fruit flavors are more prelevant and the roast ones goes away completely.
    BoneyardBrewer and szmnnl99 like this.
  15. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (365) New York Aug 1, 2012

See that I dig:)
    steebo777 likes this.
  16. Benny3000

Benny3000 Savant (375) Michigan Apr 4, 2012

I just popped a fresh one a couple nights ago. I was quite impressed. One of the best non barrel aged imperial stouts I have ever had. The price of 9-12 for a four pack makes it that much better. Im really looking forward to trying the BB version of this.
    TheBeerDad and chanokokoro like this.
  17. NooseJustice

NooseJustice Savant (445) Indiana Aug 4, 2010

set me back $15 for the last 4 pack here in Indy. no doubt it'll be worth it.
  18. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (650) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

Blind tasted the '12 vs the '13, both my wife preferred the '12 but the '13 was still damn good. I've recently done this with FBS, FIS and Pt5th; year old is 6-0 is my house with KBS up next hopefully. FBS is the only one that tasted completely different.
  19. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

As someone who feels lucky that I was able to land two singles of it, I would have to go ahead and say I hope you have bought one since you posted this. I REALLY, REALLY HOPE YOU DID.
  20. If it's available in your area, the Dark Horse stout variety case is a good option for acquiring some Pt5. $38 a case, and includes 6 Pt5s. Given that Pt5 goes for upwards of $5 a bottle here, the mix case is a great value...plus you get 18 other Dark Horse stouts to enjoy, all of them good.

[​IMG]
  21. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

I still have some in my cellar. I'll have to crack one and see how it's drinking.
  22. jplopez21

jplopez21 Savant (470) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

wow that would be awesome for me. I'm pretty sure its not gonna be available in my area.
  23. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

What the hell? I'd buy the fuck out of that if ONLY for the Plead The Fifth (I like those other beers, don't get me wrong). :eek:
  24. Montgomery County, MD sucks. They send nothing good out here... Stupid county laws overriding the state laws!
  25. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (325) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

Best RIS made in MI imo and loving the fact that I can still find them lingering around hole in the wall bottle shops.
    craigo19 and Benny3000 like this.
  26. Best non-barrel aged stout I've ever had. Sorry, other guys...
    Marti403 and kawilliams81 like this.
  27. Plead The 5th is fantastic. Living in Michigan has its perks; Pt5th and Double Crooked Tree in beer stores!
  28. Sadly I have to say I have only had Pt5 with a year of age on it, but I never knew it was tis hoppy. Lots of pine and not as ashy as with some with age on it. Still my favorite non BA stout though.
  29. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Savant (440) Maryland Oct 26, 2011

Luckily DC and VA are right next door. At least great beer is within an hours drive.
  30. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (925) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

I'll second this. I just picked up another 4 pk. So delicious.
    caber2615 and PsilohsaiBiN like this.
  31. Yeah.. that's a valid point. I'm just bitter that one of the better beer stores in the county (half a mile down the street) can't get much of anything. Convenience is always nice.
  32. tourdot

tourdot Savant (415) Wisconsin Mar 3, 2012

Do you mind sharing where you just picked up a 4? I was in Madtown 2 weeks ago and everyone was out.
  33. One store only let me buy 1 bottle, then another encouraged me to buy a fourth 4 pack, but I politely declined. :confused:

Gotta plan ahead; it's almost KBS and BCBW time.
  34. zachary80

zachary80 Savant (325) Indiana Nov 29, 2009

I've never seen any bottles for sale at the brewery besides 4 Elf
  35. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (535) Washington Dec 13, 2011

There was some ashy, smoke, cigarette like taste that I didn't enjoy too much, but I have some 2012 coming my way - will give it another try. I did really enjoy bourbon aged version of it though.
  36. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (765) California Jan 31, 2005

I say BETTER than FIS
    tehzachatak, Ri0 and PsilohsaiBiN like this.
  37. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

They posted on their FB page awhile back that they had both Pt5 and Double Crooked Tree bottles for sale in their store. Probably want to call them first and find out.
  38. Did you buy that at Bella Vista? I think they put it together themselves which is why other markets may not see it.
  39. Oh lord I hope not.
  40. You definetly underpaid. Each of the regular stouts in the pack cost about 50$ a case and Pt5 goes for ~80.
    I think I got the variety case for ~55ish.