1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dark Horse Plead the 5th (2013)

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by mjshearer1, Jan 21, 2013.

1. You hope not because you want it and can't go to Bella Vista or because you think it isn't legal? Apparently you can mix cases in PA as long as it's the same brewery.
    williamjbauer likes this.
  2. I just want to grab a whole case of Pt5. is the only way to get one to go to bella vista?
  3. PA has some of the most retarded beer laws in the country.
  4. enelson

enelson Savant (495) Illinois Dec 2, 2007

Haven't seen it in Chicago yet. Has anyone?
  5. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

:oops:
    Still on shelves in MI at a place that I had to previously wait in line to get a 4 pack at. FML.
  6. MCain04

MCain04 Savant (390) Illinois Jan 3, 2013

No Chicago sightings yet...wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get much, we got no BA Bigfoot. Sometimes Chicago doesn't import well. Glad there's plenty of Pipeworks, Half Acre, and Revolution, and a steady stream of Sucks and FFF. For that I'm grateful.
    Ri0 likes this.
  7. Yep I did. I've never seen them create their own cases before - is this common practice? Curious if the brewery knows they are doing it if that is what's going on.
  8. JDizzle

JDizzle Savant (375) Indiana Aug 24, 2010

Just picked up a 4 pack at Dark Horse for $11.99. Got a 4 pack of Double CT for $15.99 there as well.
    It may be a bit expensive for 4 beers, but so worth it. They also had a lot of one off bombers there that looked amazing.
    craigo19 likes this.
  9. No, not at all. You can get straight cases from anywhere that has them. It's only the mixed ones that are possibly only at Bella vista.
  10. It seems common at Bella Vista. I'm guessing that the breweries know since it seems to mostly be the ones they distribute. I think it's pretty neat. But really who knows, I'm not in the industry.
  11. nfc2469

nfc2469 Aficionado (130) Michigan Jun 26, 2009

Pick up a case yesterday for $71.99
    HopsintheSack likes this.
  12. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

What bombers were they? They could be leftovers from the 4elf party (there's a reason they were leftovers).
  13. JDizzle

JDizzle Savant (375) Indiana Aug 24, 2010

Call the General Store and check. They had an Oat Wine, a bourbon sour brown ale, and a few others. Most of the bombers were $15. They also had a Barleywine Sour- 3 Guys Off Scale Sour- 375ml-$7.

I just didn't want to blow a few hundo or I would have grabbed one of each.
  14. Sorry guys for my lack of info, but when does the BA version of this come out? Is it a brewery only release? If not, may I have some local WI help; this come by us? Thanks!!!
  15. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

Released only at the brewery once annually during their 4elf party in December. 2 case limit per person, so somebody should have some available to trade.
  16. saemick

saemick Aficionado (205) Illinois Jan 16, 2010

I should actually have a few left for trade. BM me
    Zeeterman likes this.
  17. Thanks to Dark Horse's facebook I found "Wilson McGuinley" beer distributors and snagged a case for $58.50!

Man it seems like I got the best price since most are finding this for 12 dollars a four pack or 70+ a case. Can't wait to crack one later!

BTW they still have 5 cases if anyone needs one. It's located at:
    85 36th St
    Pittsburgh, PA 15201
  18. Can't believe how cheap the case was! It was almost as cheap as Breakfast Stout and it's such an amazing Imperial Stout.

Edit: Anyone notice the ABV for the 2012-2013 batch is only 11%?
    Not a huge difference in a way it should be a more balanced high octane stout but I am curious of the change. And yes I know every batch of beer every year will not be the same, ABV changes are expected.
  19. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (520) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

I happen to know what the stores pay for Dark Horse here in va and trust me 58.50 is very very cheap.
  20. spicoli00

spicoli00 Advocate (710) Indiana Jul 6, 2005

Yes. Evolution liq on milwaukee had some last week. Assuming binnys should also have.
  21. Yeah I know! Man am I pumped to try it just another hour to chill. Sure beats that 20 dollar four pack I paid two years ago.
  22. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Picked up a 4 pack in Boston today...had no idea it was even distributed here. Not sure exactly what I paid, but I got that and a FW Sucaba for $30 (I figure Sucaba was at least $15)
    MattOC likes this.
  23. JGLittle

JGLittle Savant (295) Massachusetts Mar 24, 2012

Paid $3.99 a bottle in Western Mass last week. I think it was still a straight up $12 4 pack.

Table and Vine in West Springfield had a bunch if anyone is looking.
  24. spicoli00

spicoli00 Advocate (710) Indiana Jul 6, 2005

I was at evolution tonight and it looked like the had a case or so in the cooler. Dude said they were getting more tomorrow. Hope that helps.
  25. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (275) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

This is sitting on the shelf at quite a few places right outside the city actually. By the 4pack still as well.

And we also for sure got BA Bigfoot, one or two places still have it actually. I was satisfied with the one bottle I got.
    Both out here in Dekalb and within in the city limits as well both saw BA Bigfoot. Not much, less than the amount of Black note we saw, however.
  26. MattOC

MattOC Savant (285) Massachusetts Jan 13, 2013

Agreed. I had no idea it was distributed in MA either. Picked up a couple of 4 packs at my local shop (Craft Beer Cellar) a couple of weeks ago when they tweeted they had it in stock. I paid $15.25 per 4. I had two bottles last weekend and passed one onto a buddy as well and we both loved it. Still think I prefer Founders IS, but happy I have more of each because both are outstanding.
  27. Care to elaborate where you saw this? Been looking for some of all three beers you mentioned. :)
  28. tstigz

tstigz Savant (315) Illinois Dec 6, 2010

It's been in Peoria for a couple weeks.
  29. Any NYC area sightings?
    dar482 likes this.
  30. acyl

acyl Aficionado (125) Michigan Mar 16, 2010

They also dropped the ABV on the double crooked tree. DCT is now 12% instead of 13.5

IMO, plead the 5th isn't that great. The barrel aged is better but the regular Pt5 isn't much to brag about.
  31. So far I drank a four pack and its a very drinkable Imperial Stout despite the high ABV. It's a touch more grainy than I remember but man is it smooth. I like when stout is not too sweet or hoppy. I have well over a half case and plan on sitting on it for a few months.

Ow and YEAH nothing is ever as great as it's barrel counterpart but for the hype it still lives up to it. They do make some stellar dark ales.

edit: At least you don't have to choke it down like Double Crooked tree. Thank god they lowered the ABV on that one it was way too boozy.
    acyl likes this.
  32. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more. It's a helluva beer. If you're going to base your assessment of it on a comparison to its barrel-aged counterpart, I could see how you think it's lacking.

Love, love, love this beer.
    CORKSCREWFISH, BlastBeats and funhog like this.
  33. ^^^^ This
  34. drtth

drtth Champion (850) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Legally you have to sell/buy the case as shipped by the brewery so you are not allowed to mix cases in PA. The case is supposed to be bought/sold just as it came from the brewery. That's not to say creating mixed cases isn't done or hasn't been done, just that its not legal for the distributor(s) or the customer(s) to do it.
  35. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

I had this on tap in London and it was dead amazing fresh. It doesn't age all that well though. Can't say the same for its bourbon counterpart, that's glorious with some age on it.

Question about this (as a Belgian, I'm not all that well informed about brewery practices over there):

I've received both the regular and bourbon versions in two seperate trades, and I have a question about BBPT5. This was definitely only sold during the 4 Elf Party, right? Thing is I've noticed heaps of bottle/label variation, like ABV mentioned, ABV not mentioned, regular wax, and novelty wax drip. Is this something they do on purpose to make some sort of distinction between batches, or do they just use whatever the hell they have lying around?
  36. Just picked up a 4 pack
  37. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

Every single BBPt5 I have bought in the past two years (4 cases worth) have the same Pt5 label with a vintage sticker saying it is barrel aged and silver wax dipped. Never seen a different bottle at all. And yeah it was only available at the 4elf party.
  38. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Two of the bottles I have, state 11% ABV on the label and have the Bourbon-aged sticker on it. So that ABV is probably for the base beer. All the others have no other info on it.
  39. founder26

founder26 Savant (450) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

I think its overly hoppy fresh and it ages great! and I believe bbplead is amazing fresh and loses some of its barrel after a year or so. what don't you like about plead aged?
  40. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (870) Texas Aug 15, 2010

I've been sitting on a couple bottles of this for an upcoming tasting; good to hear it ages well.