Dark Horse Plead the 5th (2013)

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by mjshearer1, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Dark Horse products are really expensive in bottles around here. Shelf price for DCT was $20/4pk and this was $18/4pk. After coughing up and being disappointed in DCT, I only bought a single of Pt5, and now wish I'd done things the other way around.

2. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

I think pretty much all of the flavor profiles fade too much when the regular Plead ages. Liked it much better fresh. I don't really have a reference for the Bourbon, but I have some fresher sitting in my cellar now. Gonna give it a whirl one of these days. Will be sure to post my findings!

This was my first exposure to it (2011 vintage):

3. founder26

founder26 Savant (460) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

Ha thats funny I have watched that review on youtube before, didnt you say something like a taste orgasm or something?

4. Dennoman

Total mouthgasm. It was actually my first venture into these big American bourbon bombs. How I've matured my palate since :D (and dropped quite a few pounds, I might add. Man, I was sweating up a storm that summer).

founder26 likes this.
  5. Its tough to drop a few lbs when there are so many good beers to drink. I'm shuddering to think, but did you have to lay off the beer to lose weight?

6. Dennoman

Nope, I sacrifice food and exercise more to still get the occasional beer in :)

7. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

I literally just picked up a few 4pks for $11.99 before I saw this. Does this place normally have some great picks? I've been looking for a great craft distributor near the city

8. To continue the threadjack........Where did you u just find it in Pgh? I bought some at giant eagle market district (bethel) last week but they are out now I think. Looking for more. Cheers

JDizzle likes this.
  9. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

Well noted above place seems to have a few cases of it but I got mine at Giant Eagle in Glenshaw/Shaler, think there was 1 or 2 left after I grabbed my two

10. I think the only other place I seen this was the House of 1,000 beers and they want singles for $4.50 a pop! Not too unreasonable but still jacked up as usual.

11. I have no idea it was more of a warehouse so I didn't browse but if you call them they can quote their stock and prices. They seem to have the cheapest case prices since the place up the road wanted 65 for the case.

beerborn likes this.
  12. Two 4 packs left at Whole Foods in Wexford as of this past Friday, and that's after watching them open the case the previous week so there's a chance they're still there. $11.99 each. Cheers...

13. Since I'm standing here looking at them now, there's more than two cases worth on the shelf at Robinson GE as well. Cheers.

14. Thanks man

15. No problemo. Cranberry GE has 4 4's left too. Just there 2 hours ago. Let's Go Pens!!!

16. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (495) Washington Nov 12, 2011

I had a couple questions about Plead the 5th vintages. What was the first year they started doing 12oz bottles? What was the first year they put their logo on the caps?

I have four bottles and I think it is a four year vertical because they are all different.

2010 has the old white label
    2011 has the black label but with no logo cap
    2012 has the logo cap
    2013 has the logo cap, an ABV of 11% in the top right corner, and the font for the government warning is different than the 2012

Anyone able to confirm this?