1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dark Horse PT5

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by jverdo1, Feb 9, 2013.

1. jverdo1

jverdo1 Aficionado (145) Illinois Apr 5, 2012

Just as an FYI - PT5 is available in the Madison area now...
    And it's drinking as good as always!

MichPaul and stayclean like this.
  2. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Awesome, hope this means I'll be able to get some in Milwaukee. Seem to remember we didn't get any last year..

3. jverdo1

WI didn't get a shipment of PT5 last year - I guess giving the boys of Dark Horse hell about it for 10+ months has paid off.

stayclean likes this.
  4. ajzy

ajzy Savant (425) Wisconsin Jun 15, 2011

I picked up a 4 pack at Groppis on Thursday night so MKE definitely got some.

5. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Scored a 4-pack yesterday. Had one last night- drinks quite nicely! I love the roasted flavour.

6. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (560) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

sweet. hopefully we'll see it soon in chicago.

7. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Got a 4 pk yesterday and had my first tonight. Quite good.

TO get an idea of how limited it is, Woodmans in Sun Prairie got 12 4 pks. I grabbed second to last one.

8. Sometimes it's nice being in Michigan, I can currently get cases of the stuff. It is definitely a very drinkable brew!

9. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Wisconsin = London?

robwestcott likes this.
  10. FTFY, and yes.

11. FTFY...
    thats why beers stay on the shelves there longer since they run for the paint thinner instead..

12. I don't remember seeing it on shelves last year...

13. jverdo1

It made it to Chicago/Rockford/DeKalb last year in very limited amounts - should be the same this year. It's easy to miss a release when most retailors get a case or two! And nothing sites on the shelves in WI - if it's good beer you will not find it within a day. We have beer truck followers here also...

14. 0zzzie19

0zzzie19 Aficionado (130) Illinois Dec 20, 2008

Picked a 4 pack up from woodmans Kenosha this morning...behind the counter.

15. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (635) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Hoping to score a case of this this year... Supposed to hit our shelves this week. Hopefully early this week!

16. If your in SW Michigan, it shouldn't be a problem, I've seen it all over the place and got a case myself.

17. Stevedore

Funny guys :) My former professor from college is actually from London. Certain spellings are pure habit now.

I don't know what the paint thinner thing is about, but the artisan cheese here in Wisconsin is second to none. And I'm saying this as a Michigan native.

18. MichPaul

Out of curiosity, how much was the case if you don't mind me asking? I know they were selling it by the case at the brewery, but that's over an hour away for me, and I have had no time to drive that far.

19. Roughly $84 I think, but I didn't get it at the brewery, it seems all the stores in Kzoo have it right now, and I enjoy it so I got a bit for myself :)

20. :blinks: wow thats a nice price!

21. MichPaul

Cool thanks for the info! That at least gives me something to gauge prices on.
    Thanks!

22. jverdo1

$71.94 for a case or 11.99 for a 4-Pack in Madison...

MichPaul likes this.
  23. MichPaul

That's more of the price I'm looking for!

Steimie likes this.
  24. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Last year, the total amount distributed to the Chicago area was a joke, and I know someone who saw the break out of how it was distributed. The majority of the bottles went to bars and didn't even make it into stores.

25. jverdo1

A few places just had the beer on the shelf w. no limits.
    No one was really selling cases (11.99 per 4-Pack) - you could have grabbed a case from the shelf however...

From the chat with the beer distributor that I know - each place in Madision got 2-4 cases.
    I was also informed that Black Note may not reach the shelf - only 8 cases for all of Madison!

26. Picked up the last 4 pk at Hyvee yesterday.

27. Stevedore

I drove by Woodman's on the west side of Madison on the way home from work and they were all out of Pt5. I'm just glad I got the one 4-banger from the Woodman's on Milwaukee Ave last Friday. I should have grabbed two of them..

28. Is this available in Grand Rapids yet?

29. GRDave

GRDave Aficionado (185) Michigan Oct 7, 2011

Weird, just read your post, then logged into Facebook. Saw that Siciliano's has this and DCT in now. 4pk limit. PT5 is $3.29/bit, DCT of $4.49/btl.

30. imfrommichigan

imfrommichigan Savant (460) Utah Jul 12, 2012

Seriously? DCT is going to be $18 for a 4 pack? That is absurd.

TheBeerDad likes this.
  31. ppohio

ppohio Aficionado (185) Illinois Aug 5, 2011

When I lived in Ann Arbor last year, I remember most of the bottle shops in the city charging $6 a bottle for Double Crooked Tree. I think Plum Market carried the 4-packs for about $16-$18 if I recall correctly. It is pretty pricey stuff...

32. imfrommichigan

That's crazy. I have never seen it past $14.99 at a place around here that always gouges. Good thing it's good fucking beer so I will most definitely be buying some.

33. founder26

founder26 Savant (460) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

Whats upsurd is sicilianos has a 4pk limit! Years past there was no limit.

34. GRDave

GRDave Aficionado (185) Michigan Oct 7, 2011

Just went and got mine. Looks like they hadn't sold any since they posted on FB. The 4pk limit is their default strategy for all releases of "special" beer. If the beer lasts a few days, I'm sure the limit gets lifted. For example, they got in Sixpoint 3Beans last week with a 4pk limit. They now have about a 2 dozen 4pks on the shelf with all the other Sixpoint beer. No limit.

35. imfrommichigan

Gotta give them credit though at Siciliano's. I thoroughly enjoy the way they have been handling the releases. Seems like a lot of people are able to get the good stuff.

mjshearer1 likes this.
  36. antzman

antzman Savant (330) Indiana Feb 14, 2005

Plead the 5th just hit Indiana.

37. Jose2412

Jose2412 Aficionado (240) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

I unknowingly paid $16 for a 12oz mug (frosted...of course) of Double Crooked Tree last year at a bar called Pints and Quarts in Muskegon, MI. I will no longer be patronizing that establishment. Now THAT was absurd.

38. Stevedore

I just scored another 4banger for $11.49. Sweet. I ought to have enough to last me the next month now.

39. MichiBrew

MichiBrew Aficionado (170) Michigan Nov 26, 2010

Good play DarkHorse...distib to other states before u even release it at home...wtf...

40. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Some places in MI have it