1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dark Lord 2004-2006....what to trade for it and are any left?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by Flabbyjandro, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Looking to get the full vertical and I have everything else. This stuff even around or well consumed by now? Willing to trade whales or solid qty, just curious if anyone has seen these around and what it might take. Thanks in advance BA!

2. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

Probably not worth your effort for anything older than '06 when you factor taste into the trade.

gklover1 and OtisCampbell like this.
  3. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

wha? who does this?

4. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

They are around, don't know of any for trade but if you offer up an attractive ISO they will come. Oh yes, they will come.....

stxSS07 and CityofBals like this.
  5. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (605) Texas Nov 20, 2011

We drank an '04 earlier this year. Chunks (literally) of beer came out of the bottle after the first half was poured. Wouldn't trade for it.

OneBeertoRTA and abecall98 like this.
  6. CityofBals

I can't imagine the '05 being in any different shape this year. Eight years might be the cut-off.

7. MordorMongo

FWIW, there are HUGE bottle variations in both the 04 and 05....I have had bottles of both in last year or so that were drinkable and actually pretty good and I have also had bottles of both in last year that were just horrible. Seriously one 2004 looked like used motor oil and another looked like a thick, chunky chocolate shake and same for 2005.

8. Prob going no further back than 06, not worth the risk and caliber it will take to acquire

9. CityofBals

You think this is due in large to cellar conditions? Anyone care to chime in and let us know what temp/time it takes for protein clumps to form (or whatever that sludge is)?

10. MordorMongo

I cannot rule that out but honestly I just think back then things weren't as consistent in the first place. That and if anything was going wonky in a bottle it had more time to get jiggy with it.

11. That's as technical as a diagnosis as I need! Makes sense though.

12. For being such an expert on old Dark Lords, it seems like you would know that the unfiltered '04 Dark Lord was legendary for being half sludge! (check the reviews)

13. CityofBals

There's a difference between knowing the '04 was particularly clumpy and the environment required to cause proteins to do such a thing.

14. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, and I'm no brewing expert or even novice, but I believe it was caused by not filtering out all the stuff that they had added to the beer. It was sludgy from the get go, and has nothing to do with cellaring conditions as you had previously mentioned, and I've never heard of a sludgy '05, which
    you claimed shouldn't be in any different shape than the '04 for some reason.

15. CityofBals

Which year did clumps of protein begin to first form?

16. MordorMongo

I have had a sludgy 2005, but yeah it wasn't on the 2004 level of sludge by any means. I have also had 2004s which were far less sludgy than others. For some reason in my head (no proof or science to support) I assumed they were bottled earlier in process.

17. Backwash: I pledge my fealty to the Dark Lord! The first beer that truly lives up to the hype in every way. In the interests of giving this a fair review, I refrained from smoking the cigar for which this so desperately called. If ever there were a Montecristo ‘A’ beer, this is it! I often seem to criticize the cost of beer, etc.; but this is worth almost any price. It stands up to the best vintage Ports and Madeiras in the way it challenges the drinker with a great gustatory adventure.

NB: To extract the most out of this, I put the "sludge" in a chinoise and gently pressed out what I could into the second glass. It would be interesting to see what a "homogenized" version might be like.

Serving type: bottle

04-19-2004 20:03:20 | More by Dantes

Mouthfeel is THICK. Well in the beginning of the bottle it is just regular syrupy thick, and as you get down to the bottom, well it almost gets to be too much. It's a bit ridiculous. Like pudding that's not quite set yet, real thick but still drinkable. I got the absolute end of the bottle and I really did have to chew. That was a little disturbing, but kind of cool at the same time. Drinkability, well, I know this is it now, but I want more, lots more! It's so drinkable. At 13% abv, it does not taste or feel like it. Like a happy chocolatey sweet waffle meal with wine and coffee and pudding, all together in one bottle.

Serving type: bottle

05-10-2004 16:40:10 | More by erica

etc...

18. mattvandyk

mattvandyk Savant (385) Michigan Apr 25, 2013

I hate to revive the old thread, but I didn't see the OP's question really get answered. I have the vertical from 06-13, and am thinking about trying to line up the inventory to try to get an '04 and '05 to complete it.

Is the above the general consensus on '04 & '05 (i.e. fallen too far off to make it worth the likely "price")?

As importantly, what do people think I'm going to need to come up with to get them? Again, I'm asking here instead of posting an ISO because I need to figure out what I need to acquire in order to trade them for the '04 and '05.

Thanks!

--Matt

19. Good luck to you, I got as far as 07 and couldnt even land an 06. If you come across someone who has one let me know!

20. jbuddle

jbuddle Initiate (0) New York Feb 24, 2010

We had an '04 about 2 months ago and it was an awful mess of a drain pour. I don't think a single person drank more than an ounce. I'd pass unless you're a masochistic ticker.

21. mattvandyk

mattvandyk Savant (385) Michigan Apr 25, 2013

Well, there you go. Guess I missed the window when the "complete" vertical made sense. Given what I'd likely have to acquire (and then promptly trade away) to get it, glad to know it's pointless. Thanks!!