Dark Lord 2012

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by TapeDeck, Mar 19, 2012.

1. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Aficionado (240) Illinois Mar 31, 2011

My guess is tents like XV, limited random bottles like 2011.

My presumption is that coolers, chairs, grills etc are not allowed on the premises, but that, like XV, it won't be a problem, if you're going to throw things into your car before the gates open.

This would be a good time to start IP trades.

2. our leader has spoken, those of you that I have already set up trades with, I apologize. They are no longer valid, will have to try to make a new one. Whats next?

3. TapeDeck

I just thought it would be cool to start a thread that might not die for rules or relevance. I'll go cry in my corner now.

4. nrbw23

nrbw23 Advocate (530) Ohio Jul 30, 2007

This will be the first DLD I've missed in a long while damn weddings.

5. RTrain12

RTrain12 Savant (400) Illinois Feb 6, 2010

Atleast you didn't get shut out to internet problems!

6. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

I'm going to be bringing some tasty brews from the cellar. I'll gladly share a pour with any BA out there

:wub:

7. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

What is an Dark Lord?

8. Got my tix at the pub yesterday, although is becoming a hassle I still enjoy meeting and hanging with people at these events. I hope to do some trading and tasting, will probably post my list as we get closer.

9. I took off work for this one, so I'm definitely down to get there early and bring something to a potluck. Even though there was so much hooplah and panicking from people about tickets, it seems like those who wanted tickets got/will get them in some way, so it should work out for everyone. I'm glad I got them, but I wouldn't have pissed and moaned if I haven't. Way too many good bottles out there to feel jaded about it.

10. MaxSpang

Anyone else staying at the Hampton?

11. MarkIntihar

Probably. Last year there was some excellent bottle sharing on Friday night at the Hampton.

12. the better one was Saturday, Friday was good, dont get me wrong. But there were several top bottles cracked downstairs Saturday while watch drunkards stumble in, into each other, dropping bottles, etc. It was really funny watching people who shouldnt be hot tubbing/pooling it try to convince other people to do it. Classic.

13. MaxSpang

Gah I can't wait. I booked a room way back in January in anticipation.

14. MarkIntihar

Sounds awesome, I definitely missed out on the Saturday night tomfoolery.

15. MaxSpang

How does it usually go down? Do people just hang out in the lobby or is the banquet room open?

16. Wseitz

Wseitz Aficionado (145) Illinois Apr 25, 2010

Let the record show that my friend only dropped and broke a glass, not a bottle. Fortunately, the authorities were right on top of it. And the only one of us who was really drunk never made it down from the room for that part.

We have a couple rooms reserved at the Hampton for this year, but so far we're still two tickets short.

17. hope you dont think I was signalling any one out, there were several bottles dropped that night.

18. TapeDeck

I will be getting several lbs of Bier Stix from Ream's in Elburn, for anyone who wants meat candy to snack on.

We're bringing some of every beer in rotation at Russian River, Good People IPA and DIPA, a bunch of homebrew, and then our group is bringing a whole bunch of random rare-to-whales to share. We will pour indescriminately, whether you bring bottles to share, or not. Just ask. This will be a good time. We're still on the fence about bringing a grill and packing it up an hour or two before gates open.

19. MaxSpang

This is exactly how I'm going to be. Empty glass? Stick it in front of me, it'll be filled free of charge.

Trying to stock up on beer karma points. Beer karma exists, fellas.

20. will be doing a lot of the same, would love to share. I wont be hard to notice.

21. TapeDeck

Cept if you looked like your avatar, no one would ever recognize your face. :)

What time are folks planning on getting there? I was sort of thinking of aiming for dawn.

22. sounds about right.

23. Redrover

Redrover Champion (755) Illinois Jan 18, 2003

I will be getting several lbs of Bier Stix from Ream's in Elburn, for anyone who wants meat candy to snack on.

Ream's should have a fest! That place is simply awesome!

TapeDeck likes this.
  24. Wseitz

I was partially kidding. Though that did happen, I didn't think you were being specific.

25. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

I understand that standing and drinking in the line is fun, but you don't HAVE to show up really early for any real reason right? Or do you miss out on special pours/bottles/food/whatever if you don't show up really early? I am in group B. Can I just waltz in at 1pm if I want?

26. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Yes that will work....there may be guest taps that run out or something, but your allocation is safe and like if they are doing free DL pours they should still be around.

27. MaxSpang

Biggest thing is the line I believe. I showed up at like 2 PM at the XV event and had to wait 4 hours before I even got inside the gates.

28. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

When did the gates open though?

29. MordorMongo

XV line was a mess, DLD should not be AS bad as entrance line and allocation line are separate. Gates open at 10am.

30. MaxSpang

I think 10 AM... maybe noon.

I've never been to DLD so I can't compare, but I heard that the XV lines were ridiculous compared to DLD.

How is the line to get into the brewpub on DLD?

31. I always feel like kind of a douche when I join friends who parked over at some random tasting table, because I know I don't usually carry enough whales with me to feel like I'm not leeching off someone else's generosity. At least if I had a pretty decent bottle of two or something, I wouldn't feel as bad, but eh, I guess that's just my personality.

32. this is to me is by far the absolutely worst attitude to have. I treat DLD like a huge tasting, every one bring SOMETHING and contribute to the group. That could be beer, food, snacks, music, jokes, etc. There have been many BA's that are intimidated to do tastings. It's beer, if a guy gives you the stink eye because you bring a local/not rare/easy to get and he's poppin whales, punch that mo fo in da seeds. Thats not what an advocate is. I will be with a pretty decent group and we will have some stuff to share, you wont get one stink eye if you show up and contribute. Doesnt have to be anything specific. Hell, pass out Altoids, we would appreciate that the most, because we will be hangin with Oreo.

33. CWBlues

CWBlues Savant (330) Indiana May 4, 2011

Well...last year I waited all day to get into the brewpub. And I'm not exaggerating at all. We got in line at about 11:30a. We got in about 4:45p. Had a vanilla oak aged Dark Lord and had to run out to get in line to buy our bottles.

34. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (390) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

Passing out pretzels is a huge plus too

biglobo8971 likes this.
  35. ackeeper

ackeeper Savant (335) Illinois Dec 22, 2008

No worries on the "signalling out." Our group jokes about my dropped tasting glass. For some reason, the local authorities were quite concerned that I may injure myself picking up glass and made the poor hotel employee do it. I felt horrible, but really didn't need to be arrested for cleaning up a broken glass that fell out of a cooler. Our group was the antithesis of tomfoolery that night. We're too old.

36. Wseitz

I understand how you feel, but I think if someone opens something and puts it on a tasting table, they want you to try it. If you only want to share beer with people who bring other whales, arrange an in person trade. I wouldn't open anything that wasn't already opened, and I'd be careful that I didn't monopolize the whole bottle, but if you open something and put it on a tasting table, it's fair game, whether the people sampling responded in kind or not. Those tables are there for a reason.

37. jefeld

jefeld Aficionado (195) Illinois Mar 31, 2010

or if you want to be selective about pours, you pour your bottle by hand, especially if it is a whale. for rare beers i like to share the wealth all around, but pour smaller pours per person so everyone gets a taste.

38. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

This is my preferred method. I made a 750 mL bottle of Cantillon last for some 17-20 people at KBS.

MarkIntihar likes this.
  39. MordorMongo

In as much as I have "whales", which I may or may not depending on who you ask, I will gladly share all I bring and gladly sample all those that will let me. Look for the pear shaped fella wearing a "U mad bro?" shirt. Assuming it is relatively warm anyway!

Cheers!

40. TapeDeck

If you've brought anything, you're awesome, and almost always welcome with anyone.

For anyone in this situation (newer to craft beer... not someone who hangs on to beer... never done one of these releases etc) here's the way to look at it.

Bring snacks, if you don't have beer. If you don't have snacks, MAKE snacks. If you can't MAKE snacks, BUY snacks. Or bring money. Or gold. Or FIRE. Bring fire.

The only thing that's lame is people who see a crazy bottle and then try to get in on the pours without being considerate. If you've got nothing to share, that's kinda careless, but it's still totally cool, as long as you wait your turn... wait until people nearby who ARE sharing get a pour. If you miss out, that's not the end of the world, but no one would ever give you the stink eye.

We've never turned anyone down. It's never been a problem. It won't be a problem. But you've put the effort forth to sign on to BA. If you know you don't have any whales to share--go to your liquor store and ask for a suggestion for a sour... like get an Oude Geuze ($17) and now you have a great beer that we'll all be dying for as we stout out. You don't have to have unobtainium beer. Just kick in. Make it a party, instead of a charity, and you will have more fun, too.

biglobo8971 and aefbjo like this.