1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dark Lord 2012

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by TapeDeck, Mar 19, 2012.

1. kort27

kort27 Aficionado (240) Illinois Apr 23, 2009

Any hot mules, I mean chicks this year?
  2. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

cracked citra. Come play! Rare is next
  3. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (285) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

where is everyone at!?
  4. Are they selling any special merchandise today (t-shirts or glasses)?
  5. WITTBEER

WITTBEER Aficionado (245) Illinois Jan 12, 2008

Good times! Easy time parking for free at 8:15. Got a vanilla and was out of there by 11:30. I would have stayed if not for previous engagements. Lines were clearly marked and didn't look too bad. Cheers to Three Floyds!
  6. rmalinowski4

rmalinowski4 Savant (330) Illinois Oct 22, 2010

Intelligentsia 4 oz tasting glasses.
  7. monitorpop

monitorpop Advocate (505) Michigan Oct 28, 2007

Alpar and C2H5 like this.
  8. Vav

Vav Savant (485) Illinois Jul 27, 2008

I dont see any drunk posting, c'mon guys get with it! How's it going down there?
    libbey likes this.
  9. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Hats off to FFF, lots of lines of course, but most moved well. Being able to buy BA Klauses was a nice bonus (and Baller if that's your thing). No scratch winner but cannot complain. Good beer, good food, love the kick ass intelligista/FFF taster glasses, already excited for next year.

Be interesting to read the ZOMFG FFF and DLD sux!!!! threads that I am sure are on the way, really cannot see what anyone could complain about.

Cheers!!
    MarkIntihar and claaark13 like this.
  10. Bryan

Bryan Aficionado (145) Michigan Feb 29, 2012

Good day.

Between my buddy and I, we left with 8 DLs, 1 vanilla aged DL, case of zombie dust, 2 sixers of alpha king, sixer of gum ball and Robert the Bruce, 2 Baller Stouts and 2 BA Alpha Klaus.
    BlackBelt5112203 and kdmcguire10 like this.
  11. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (585) California Oct 17, 2010

Hope all are having a great time! One of these years I'll make it out. Interested to here what, if any are the special bottles for purchase. Any ba dark lords this year?
    bertram likes this.
  12. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

I grabbed a vanilla bean dark lord. im excited to never drink it and open it at next years dark lord lol
    VonZipper and Wade5614 like this.
  13. Wade5614

Wade5614 Aficionado (205) Michigan Feb 18, 2012

Lucky enough to get 2 BA vanilla DL still can't believe it also got some baller stouts and BA alpha klaus. Overall my first DLD was amazing lol going back every chance I can
  14. dmsulli

dmsulli Savant (270) Illinois Jan 30, 2012

1 BA vanilla DL here too!

If anyone from the Lakeview/Lincoln Park area of Chicago could pick me up one of the mini Intelligentsia snifters, I'd REALLY appreciate it.
  15. lwburns15

lwburns15 Aficionado (135) Illinois Dec 11, 2010

Anyone have an extra ticket still?
  16. sopiarz3

sopiarz3 Disciple (65) Illinois Dec 9, 2010

My day won one of the BA dark lords. Vanilla was out so I picked the de muerte.
  17. sopiarz3

sopiarz3 Disciple (65) Illinois Dec 9, 2010

My day won one of the BA dark lords. Vanilla was out so I picked the de muerte.
  18. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

Man - 2007 was great when at 8:30 in the morning we were one of the first 6 people there.
    So much fun and zero chaos.
    Have fun all
  19. Orchids

Orchids Aficionado (210) Illinois Feb 7, 2010

I find this offensive. Not all of us are mules!
  20. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (380) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

Thanks to all who were as excited about the Port Barrel Bare Tree as I was. Glad I could pour some uncommon stuff for many people!
    Sean9689 and thetomG like this.
  21. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (465) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

I am hurting!

Haha...what a great weekend
  22. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Wooden Hell
    J&J Blauw
    Crianza Helena
    Deviation
    Veritas 003

You're all insane.
  23. monitorpop

monitorpop Advocate (505) Michigan Oct 28, 2007

zchall23 and eachnotesecure like this.
  24. Franch

Any good barrel aged in pub yet? I want to try vanilla dl.
  25. Great day, even with the cold and rain! IMO, the most organized DLD yet. My brother got there at 5am, and was probably 50-75 people back in line already, which was surprising; he gets there early every year, and there has only ever been a handful of people there that early. We got there at 6am, sat around and drank our beers in the rain in ponchos for two hours. After the rain stopped, we broke out the snacks, and more beer. Around 9, we packed up the chairs and coolers, walked them back to the car, got back in line, and then a bit after ten, the line started moving smoothly through the gate. We had A tickets, and proceeded directly to the DL purchase line. That line also moved quickly, we were through and outta there by 11. We had a few 3F beers on tap outside (Samurai Gazebo, Hells Black Intelligenser), but I don't think they were giving out free samples of Vanilla DL as they did in years past. If they were, I totally missed that table/line, which makes me sad. But all in all, a great day!!!
  26. Had a great time in line tasting good beers. Once inside, it was basically a hurry up and wait type situation. We got our Dark Lord relatively quick and I was lucky enough to get a vanilla bean bourbon barrel aged dark lord. Once we got the beer, there was just a lot of waiting in line. Tried a couple guest taps, had a couple 3 floyds, and then waited for 5 hours to get into the brew pub. Once we were close to get in the brew pub, it was about time to leave and gave my cousin my spot and headed out. Would have been nice to try more on tap, but oh well. I wish I would have picked up a BA Alpha Klaus. I didn't realize it was being sold until I left. Was kinda/sorta disappointed that they were selling baller stout, as it takes away from the rareness of the stuff I bought at XV, but I feel like a hipster doofus even typing that. All in all, a good time.
  27. Had a great time today...went in '08, '09 and '10 but couldn't get tickets last year so this year was my first year back under the new format of 3 sessions. Got there at 9 am waited in line, met some great people and got to try a few beers I hadn't had like Bramble and some others and got in about noon. I went to buy a T-shirt and a case of Zombie Dust with a couple Baller Stouts...then joined my wife in line for our Dark Lords and we were both lucky in the scratch offs and got 2 bottles of BA Vanilla Dark Lord. All in all it was a fun time, smoothly run....cheers to 3F's!!
  28. surlytheduff

surlytheduff Savant (380) Michigan Jul 22, 2010

So, I didn't go; instead I got to have an awesome day doing chores around the house, But anyway...I was looking at the bottle counts for the special releases. Assuming they sold them all (I'm sure they didn't, but anyway) and they sold the full ~24,000 bottles of regular DL ... FFF pulled in close to a half a million dollars today. Yowza!

(50 x 2705) + (15 x 24000) = $495250.
  29. weatherdog

weatherdog Savant (470) Illinois Nov 7, 2007

Just a perfect DLD. I seriously can't think of anything to complain about. Sure the lines were long but they were organized and fun.

Thanks to everyone, especially Dave for the Wooden Hell tick first thing in the morning. It was a great time and the wife and I walked out with a de muerte DL so we were happy. Dark Lord Voltron 2.0 to commence!
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  30. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

I agree. An idiot post.
  31. Dactrius

Dactrius Savant (450) Wisconsin Apr 23, 2012

A great day, although i wish all of you hadn't taken all the vanilla and cognac. Still, my wife and i got two bourbon aged so i suppose we can't complain.
  32. chriltz

chriltz Aficionado (175) Illinois Mar 21, 2010

Other than the dark lord line being extremely unorganized, it was a good day. We ended up playing a simple drinking game to pass the damn near three hours in line. Met some people that shared their three awesome homebrews with us.

Best bit was three out of four of us got winning tickets...got all but the vanilla which was sold out.
  33. GonkDroid

GonkDroid Aficionado (140) Illinois Apr 30, 2011

4 out of 5 of our group had a winning golden ticket. Had a great time. Way better than the XV Anniversary Party. I was kind of disappointing by the guest taps though, it seemed like some of them never turned over like Haymarket Pils and the New Albanian brews. I loved getting another taste of Stone Smoked Porter w/Vanilla, but overall the guest taps didn't do it for me.
  34. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

first timer, epic time. tried out great stuff on things i missed out. shared some treats too. my girl and i lucked and scratched off on YES for BA DL and Muerte. as well as BA Alpha Klaus and Plum
  35. cadizkyguy

cadizkyguy Savant (330) Kentucky Mar 17, 2008

Great time indeed. Even after totaling my car on the drive up Thursday. Driving rental car back to Kentucky on Sunday with 4 dark lords for me and 4 more for some well deserving Nashville BAs. I hate to admit this but being sore from the crash I didn't think I could stand in line too long in the cold so I cut into the C line near the gated maze. But I met some awesome folks including a dude from Detroit n another from Portland Oregon. Hey this is Laurence the Guy with the orange Bengals cap.
  36. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

what happened to your car? bummer, but a good cause! i had B tickets but jumped in on C line.
  37. Franch

What an amazing time. My first dld. I was disappointed we waited 5ish hours to get in the brewpub and nearly everything barrel aged was kicked, including all dark lords. Even so, I tried great beers like KTG 10 and Bourbon County Cherry amongst others. Lines should be more regulated but at the same time.., DLD is about SHARING!
  38. Agold

Agold Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Mar 13, 2010

Not to mention the BA kalus variants, other beer, swag, food, etc.
  39. Agold

Agold Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Mar 13, 2010

Had an amazing time at DLD. Loved waiting in line and drinking and putting a lot of faces to forum names and avatars. Thanks to everyone who was generous enough to share pours of ridiculously good beer. Today was outstanding.
  40. cadizkyguy

cadizkyguy Savant (330) Kentucky Mar 17, 2008

Today was my favorite dld. Great folks sharing all sorts of brews. Enjoyed the head banging music. My ears are still ringing.