1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Dark Lord 2012

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by TapeDeck, Mar 19, 2012.

1. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Savant (260) Illinois Apr 4, 2007

I'll just leave this here.

[​IMG]

2. iadler

iadler Savant (415) Illinois Aug 12, 2009

Odd...my bourbon dl is like 669/688...

3. So, out of curiosity, how does DL 2012 taste compared to previous years?

4. markmiller

markmiller Savant (275) New York Dec 28, 2010

I've heard there were apparently 2 sets of Burbon Barrel Aged DL. One set x of 688 and the other is x of 420. I don't know the difference though...anyone?

5. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Savant (260) Illinois Apr 4, 2007

It seems very similar to 2011, but maybe a tad sweeter. Really smooth at 15% ABV.

6. cpinto6

cpinto6 Savant (365) Georgia Feb 25, 2010

I'll bet anything they started numbering while still bottling. They realized they were gonna have more than they thought so they adjusted the count for all the bottles after that. Otherwise, they probably miscounted and when they realized it, they adjusted it from then on.

7. myersk27

myersk27 Savant (420) Indiana Oct 21, 2011

Had an awesome time at my first dark lord day. Got 8 bottles and one de muerte. Met another ba named Ethan from Minnesota. Shared many brews with lots of awesome people. Great great event

8. Askchucky

Askchucky Savant (250) Illinois May 2, 2011

I actually found it very drinkable right away compared to the 2011. It was sweeter, and not as boozy flavored.

9. Chicagotrim

Chicagotrim Disciple (70) Apr 3, 2012

What was the allotment this year? And how much per bottle? Obviously didnt make it there....

10. Askchucky

Askchucky Savant (250) Illinois May 2, 2011

4 bottle allotment, $15 per Dl.

11. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (350) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

With a lot less coffee up front.

BeerMeFitz, tewaris and weatherdog like this.
  12. My first DLD was great, got there at about 630 and there were over 100 in line already. Braved the rain for awhile but once it stopped it was fantastic. Tried several Cantillons, Juliet, and other awesome sours. Also got to try a magnum of 2004 Fred, some 05 Dark Lord and 05 BCBS. The last of which some guy just handed over because the line had started to move. No luck with scratch offs, but still came home with a great haul.

zchall23 likes this.
  13. bahns

bahns Aficionado (125) Illinois Mar 22, 2011

Great day. Didn't have the overall "wow" factor of my first DLD, but was such an improvement from the XV debacle that I was very pleased.

Favorite beers shared in line: Sucaba and BA Blackout Stout. Favorite beers on tap: Rye'd Da Lightning and Sun King IESB.

14. DSho

DSho Aficionado (185) Florida Sep 6, 2011

Any one get to try the BA Robert the Bruce with raspberries? Anxious to hear how that was.

15. Did any Goose beers ever get tapped at the guest beer taps? I was surprised at how slow the turnover was on the guest taps, unless they just weren't changing the sign. The majority of the taps were the same during the entire time I was there.

The Apple Brandy Zhukov's was awesome though.

dsal89, zchall23 and robbiemoy13 like this.
  16. I didn't see any Goose either. The Apple Brandy Zhukov tapped about five people ahead of me. Fortunately, a kind gentleman shared a taste. It was really good.

zchall23 likes this.
  17. Franch

Franch Advocate (565) New York Mar 22, 2011

The guest taps at the end flew fast and furious. KBS CBS goose island bcbs cherry!

zchall23 likes this.
  18. Would have killed to get my hands on this

19. Dam, I had to leave right as they were tapping the bcbs cherry, which was phenominal. At least they finally tapped the KBS/CBS. I was thinking they wouldn't even go on with how late it was getting.

20. DSho

I hear ya, it sounds absolutely delicious.

21. normyk

normyk Savant (270) Ohio Dec 10, 2007

Well done DLD again. And there were maps! Awesome! I think the thing I would like to see the most is a shuffling around of things to address the DL line. The DL line cut across the center of everything. Each year there seems to be at least one line that does it though I think last years DL line only blocked one food station. Didn't venture into the brewpub line so I don't know if it moved better this year. Line for guest taps moved pretty well the times I was in. Like that they upped the number of bottles of rarities - loved the music lineup - food was pretty good - good crowd - they let us bring in reasonable amounts of beer and awesome stuff was flowing all around. Great day, though I was pretty dead on my feet by the time I got my bottles - wide awake, but exhausted. Fairly dead still.

You know, this is the first year I didn't see broken DL bottles happen.

zchall23 likes this.
  22. oreo

oreo Savant (250) Illinois Jul 29, 2010

When 6000 people are crammed into a space made for 1000, it makes for a clusterfuck of lines. I saw people standing by the port o johns saying they were in line for DL bottles? The fuck. lol. All in all, it was a great time and great event. Tons of fun.

23. kort27

kort27 Savant (275) Illinois Apr 23, 2009

Just a joke - sorry - didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

24. richardflyr

richardflyr Savant (400) Virginia Jul 28, 2009

Speak for yourself! I saw this sadness on my way out at around 3:30pm

[​IMG]

25. normyk

normyk Savant (270) Ohio Dec 10, 2007

Now my DLD experience is complete.

zchall23, claaark13 and MarkIntihar like this.
  26. iadler

I tried the BA Robert the Bruce with raspberries at 15th anniversary. I was personally very disappointed. I don't think Bruce handled the barrel treatment well and the raspberry was very medicinal, like cough syrup. Just my .02

27. DSho

Bummer, wonder how it did this go around. Thanks for the reply.

28. iadler

How did people get BA alpha klaus during the event? I kept seeing people carrying them around but didn't know where they were being sold. Would love to have gotten a BA klaus with plums.

29. tjfilippo

tjfilippo Aficionado (230) Illinois Jan 28, 2008

What time did they tap these?

30. oreo

They were being sold in the bottle tent. 30 a pop.

31. Franch

Franch Advocate (565) New York Mar 22, 2011

CBS KBS and Bourbon County Cherry all came in swift succession at 9pm.

32. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Untrue, they were $25, were not advertised on main sign, once you got up to the counter they had a piece of cardboard, handwritten stating limit one.

richardflyr likes this.
  33. Msmith8814

Msmith8814 Zealot (85) Illinois Feb 25, 2011

[quote="You know, this is the first year I didn't see broken DL bottles happen.[/quote]

How late did you stay? I believe the bottles started dropping after 5pmish. Less will hit ebay i guess.

34. andyst

andyst Zealot (90) Illinois Feb 1, 2009

I had a great time, but I think I was by far the biggest asshole at DLD 2012. If I ran into anyone here, I apologize.

35. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

VOLTRON!!!! :D

I didn't even participate in the afternoon bottle sharing... Didn't want to bring down my rareness average for the day. Also, did you miss the '06 Fou Foune?

I will post my "DLD story" in the similarly titled thread later. Overall, a great day.

36. ceight

ceight Aficionado (120) New York Apr 29, 2012

Joined BA just because of this day.

I went in with very few expectations, and excited to try some good beers.

This day WAY exceeded expectations. Yes, there were some dbags, but overall, people were so friendly, and very willing to share their beers! I tried beers I have been dying to have.

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who so graciously shared their fantastic beers. I was the albino girl in the bright yellow sweatshirt, so if you gave me beer, know you're appreciated! :)

evilgenius1917 likes this.
  37. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (475) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

Picture of the DLD line...
    [​IMG]

Calm down everyone....for comedy only

38. oreo

The beers I ticked yesterday....amazing to say the least.

Wooden Hell
    JJ Blauw
    05 DL
    06 Fou Foune
    Deviation
    Veritas 003,004
    Pannepot Wild
    batch 26 Fred
    04 Doggie Claws
    Alpha Kong

zchall23 and MarkIntihar like this.
  39. Jerry

Jerry Aficionado (215) Illinois Apr 15, 2012

I had a great time at my first DLD. I way over did Friday night so I wasn't in the mood to do much drinking on Saturday but I still had fun. Everything seemed to run great. I just wish the Dark Lord line was better organized. We had no idea where the line ended so we just jumped in anywhere we could.

40. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Shit, I keep forgetting about the Pannepot Wild! Bold is what I also ticked yesterday :D