1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dark Lord 2012

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by TapeDeck, Mar 19, 2012.

1. jegross2

jegross2 Member

BA behemoth was just a hair behind Henry in quality IMO. Excellent beer. I am regretting now picking up a BA alpha klaus. I knew it was there and told myself meh. Upshot is walked away from dld with cash unspent haha.
  2. stxSS07

stxSS07 Member

Great to hear. I thought about picking up a BA Alpha Klaus instead of BA Behemoth at the pub ticket release, but I had concerns about it holding up to the barrel aging.
  3. banduraj

banduraj Member

Maybe it's just me, but I think I found this year to have more assholes than the previous. I'm thinking more and more people are just showing up to buy the beer only to turn around and see it at a profit.
    Gritch likes this.
  4. robbiemoy13

robbiemoy13 Member

Don't know what you're talking about, but that flannel is awesome. Besides, it kept you warm!
  5. Gritch

Gritch Member

I have to agree. This is the first year that I saw some fights start to happen. Never thought that would happen at one of these events.
  6. mrbubbler

mrbubbler Member

If anyone came up on 4 bottles at the event... I will offer up a fou foune and beer karma for the return of my long lost bottles...

Was nice meeting a lot of you!
  7. atoulouk

atoulouk Member

I did not attend, but heard that from some friends that were there more tool bags than before. Said there were too many "tough guys."

My two buddies (25ish) went with one of their dad's (50ish). The dad was watching their stuff, including their DL allotments and Alpha Klaus while my two buddies were in line for guest taps and some "fat, college-age guy" starting going through their stuff, opening their backpack trying to take bottles. He didn't realize that the old guy by the bags was my buddies dad, and he got called out on it. The dude puffed up and was like "do you wanna go old man?"

My buddies and their dad still ended up having 1 of their 4-packs stolen at some point, which is disappointing.
  8. Franch

Franch Member

holy shit dude it was the best drama ever. mr. dlello2 was just taking a video of our little table at the end of DLD and all of the sudden a bench flips over and there's a guy dripping with beer and his wife is screaming some rude things. best day ever.
  9. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Member

Dave was telling me about this, I desperately want to see this video!
  10. banduraj

banduraj Member

In the previous events that I have attended, people are always nice and just want to have a good time and share/talk beer. Sure, people get smashed, but I never ran into a drunk that wasn't nice, if not passed out. However, as you said, this year there were "collage type, tough guys" that seemed to push their way through lines and wanted to make scenes. The vast majority of beer geeks are like any other geeks, people that usually try and avoid fights and just want to go about their business, so a lot of that bad behavior just got ignored.

But, if this starts to be a trend, people scalping ticks and beer for money and more of those type of people showing up each year, I may reconsidering going. The wife and I always make a trip out of it, staying in Chi-Town and visiting all the local breweries and brew pubs over a long weekend, so I would hate to stop going. But, considering that the beer scene is getting more attention and attracting more people, I suppose the undesirable type is also going to get pulled in as well.
  11. Jerry

Jerry Member

Saw a fight break out while one of the bands was playing. Not sure what it was about but the one dude was clearly drunk off his ass. Somebody said he had also dropped all his DL bottles on the ground earlier. I don't want to ever be that guy.
  12. raymo55

raymo55 Member

Yes Dave...please post this gem...I need a good laugh from that day
  13. ReTag

ReTag Member

I want one of the look on your face when I stopped you outside Revolution.
    weatherdog likes this.
  14. BertSugar

BertSugar Member

Indeed. I was selling the barrel aged bottles and sort of grilled the douchy looking dudes who clearly had no clue what they were buying. I told them they would be hunted down by BA's and have their asses kicked.
  15. dlello2

dlello2 Member

The video is not THAT great--mostly just a crazy wife yelling at her (probably far too) drunk husband. but I did put it on vimeo with a password. If you want a link just bm me.
  16. BertSugar

BertSugar Member

MINUS: (Production cost+event management+security+equipment rental+Bands) (High on Fire and Eye Hate God can't be cheap).
    evilgenius1917 likes this.
  17. zieglemt

zieglemt Member

PLUS (merch sales + case/6pack/bottle sales + pint sales + pub sales + ticket sales) = they fucking banked

ETA: ticket sales
  18. YoungLad

YoungLad Member

MINUS (capital start-up costs, capital expansion costs)....OK, I'm tired of this already. Do you think that 3FFFs should have thrown this party for free? Not sure why some folks think that brewers shouldn't profit off of what they do. This is 'merica, after all!
    BertSugar likes this.
  19. toolbrew

toolbrew Member

I did see one incident - towards late afternoon (6ish) when the sun finally came out some guy cut in line for the bathroom on the left side (if facing FFF). Someone put a stick in the port-o-john door so they couldn't get back out. The guy struggled for a few minutes then broke out and threw his beer all over everyone. That was when I knew it was time....that and being on my feet for many hours.

Otherwise I thought it was great. My $.02 change - glad they added the taps in the line to purchase DL, but I would also replace a couple port-o-johns over there. The line moves slowly and a bathroom is necessary. People were taking leaks on the chain link fence.

Didn't try any guest drafts but was very surprised by the way two separate bottles of '11 DL tasted - and also a 2005 Bells Eccentric Ale.
  20. zieglemt

zieglemt Member

Not at all. Good for them. I do think that the variants are overpriced though, but I am one of the suckers that threw down $50 for 'winning.'

I just think it's interesting to try to wrap my head around the gross income a place like that can bring in in one day.
  21. ravot

ravot Member

the bathroom situation was the most organized thing ever surprisingly. each time i went (sorry to one of the warehouse buildings as we waited outside)to the restroom, i never waited, walked right in. they were pretty 'clean' too.

i didn't see any fights break out, bottles break either. i saw a couple of dudes that were pretty canned but they themselves knew it and were relaxing and being chill. didn't bump into any 'bros'.
  22. 71gto

71gto Member

I was around mostly well behaved people. I shared a few brews with people in front of me in line. They did not have anything to share back, but did not care. Once we got near the entrance a few drunk morons were being loud, but not trying to fight at least. Plenty of people being pushy in line for bottles though. Overall I had a great time, but by time I got my bottles I was ready to leave at 5:15. Stopped by a tasting table at the end to try a few brews and leave my last finch IPA. A good day, but a long one. I imagine the more popular craft beer becomes the worse this event will get.
  23. dsal89

dsal89 Member

what time was this around? I remember getting a pour of it and i shared it with a few people because it blew me away lol i had on a dark green carhart jacket
  24. dmbsnus

dmbsnus Member

is there a place i can find the complete guest tap list for DLD 2012...cant seem to find it anywhere!!!
  25. kort27

kort27 Member

While waiting in the queue (past the 'Dark Lord Bottle Sales' sign) with Group C, I decided to actually step out of line to go use a porta-potty (instead of peeing on the fence). I was gone maybe 3 minutes. When I was getting back to my spot, got accused of line-cutting from a frat-looking dude, and he instantly got raged and all puffy. I calmly explained and showed him the girl in line that was holding my backpack for me (to prove I had been there), but he didn't want to hear about it. I then ignored him and didn't hear anything else.

So, maybe at that point he had just had enough with all the line-cutting and took it out on me, I don't know.

To step back a tick, for waiting in line for Group C, I got in line at roughly 3:15. Around 4 o'clock, when I think they basically stopped the line until a little after 5, I was maybe 20 yards from the Dark Lord Bottles Sale sign. The line was your average line, maybe 3-4 people wide. By 5 o'clock, the line was seemingly 25 people wide, so everyone basically ignored everything and it was a free-for-all. I wasn't worried, of course, because I knew I was guaranteed my bottles, but it was still a little irritating. If I were to get lucky and get a 'Yes' scratch-off, I could envision asking for a Vanilla and being told "sorry, just sold out a minute ago".

Well, I did get lucky, asked for the Vanilla, and was told they sold out with Group B. I thought last year they rationed that stuff for each session?

Last year to me was much smoother with getting your bottles - I think the difference was, and I'm sure this has been mentioned in these threads, that they didn't let you line up outside the gates for the bottles? At least for Group C, anyways. I had Group C last year and I thought we lined up outside the gates, down the street, and there was no question at all what line you were in. This year's line was a complete cluster.
  26. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Member

I was thinking the same. I remember the line for bottles going outside the gates most of the day. Yeah, it sucked for people to have to cut through to get to one side or the other, but as you say, at least everyone knew which line they were in.
  27. KevSal

KevSal Member

this is ridiculous, i cant believe this stuff is going on. stolen beer? complete bullshit
  28. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Member

Still leaps and bounds better than XV
  29. paintball363

paintball363 Member

Yes.
    Though the line cutting was bad this year, it was a million times better than XV.
  30. kort27

kort27 Member

Better than XV, but worse than DLD '11.
    What was the line like for Group A? I think I've read it took people until noon to get inside the gates? So, again, the bottle line connected to the main line to get inside the gates (like XV), or no?
  31. foobula

foobula Member

We got in line at 9:30a (group A tix) and yes, didn't get inside until noon. However I don't think the main line was connected to the bottle line. There were just a ton of people in front of us. There were only 1 or 2 people issuing wristbands. And there were certainly line-cutters as well.
  32. jegross2

jegross2 Member

We got there by 530 am. Our group A walked thru the beer ticket sales line in no time whatsoever. Were also able to get Apple brandy zhukov and hunah no problem, and were in the pub by noon. But when we got out of the pub around 1245/1, it was a clusterfuck. Took me 45+ min to get thru the DLD ticket sale line
    zchall23 likes this.
  33. birchholz

birchholz Member

We got there around 9:45 (A group). It was after noon by the time we were inside the gates. The bottle line was confusing because there was just one large mass of people around the entrance. Turns out the B group folks were lining up already. We pushed past to where the staff person was checking tickets and got into the actual line. From there the line moved quickly, I doubt if it took 30 min to get our bottles.
  34. ChrisPro

ChrisPro Member

You can't believe this? Look at it this way: if you were at a party and each person had a stack of $250 in cash sitting on picnic tables around the party, would you be surprised if some of those stacks got stolen?

I try to see the good in people, but seriously, you gotta watch your stuff.
    foobula, TapeDeck and MarkIntihar like this.
  35. jegross2

jegross2 Member

Mark, quit liking posts and MAKE posts!
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  36. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Member

I'm EASILY the top "liker" on BA, without even a question. I doubt it's tracked, but I'm kind of a "like" whore...
    ehammond1 and MaxSpang like this.
  37. pschul4

pschul4 Member

The Too Much Time really helped your like count
  38. jegross2

jegross2 Member

Just make sure post 1,000 is May 7 at 7PM OH time ;) Then you'll LIKE the box i BIF you haha.
  39. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Member

Very true. And the fact that I was following the Jeopardy thread as well. Too many funny posts :)

That, or I'm just super easily amused...
    pschul4 likes this.
  40. pschul4

pschul4 Member

Why can't it be both? :cool:
    MarkIntihar likes this.