1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dark Lord and Behemouth years to age.

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by zrab11, Dec 27, 2012.

1. zrab11

zrab11 Advocate (505) Indiana Dec 25, 2010

Alright I know this question is pretty subjective and is pretty much all OPINIONS and could very from batch to batch but for you who have kept DL or Behemoth verticals how long is too long?

Obviously people cellar beers to see them change or have qualities in the beer fade or come out till its at their favorite flavor. I have had both fresh and am not looking to really have one lose or gain anything in particular but just want to see how they change.

So what is your opinion on DL and Behemoth. I am guessing Behemoth could stand up longer than DL but i have no idea. So Should you pop them after you have 3 yrs or 5 years or can they stand up and go even longer than 5yrs? I have 3 years right now. Looking to add the 4th this January and April.

I don't really care what you thought was your favorite but feel free to tell me if it helps answer my question. And i don't really care if you think these beers suck no matter how old or fresh they are. Really just looking to know when the consensus that each has been cellared too long so that i pop them before i waste them! Thanks
  2. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Dark Lord - 2007 is on rapid decline, 2008 may JUST be past prime, so I would say 4 years is safe.

Behemoth - last 2005 I had was still drinking well (my opinion), so I think if kept right they may make it 10 years or more.

YMMV, and yes, just like, my opinion man.
    Zimbo and zrab11 like this.
  3. My tasting group just did a five year vertical of Dark Lord last weekend.

Here are my overall thoughts from that night.

2008- It has definately going downhill. Oxidized and starting to become a mess.
    2009-It was second best, but I still wasnt overly excited about it. More roasty than sweet right now.
    2010-It is drinking fantastic right now. Was the best of the 5 years we tasted that night.
    2011- Way to sweet right now. Cherry and soy sauce. similiar to 2012.
    2012-Way to sweet right now. Cherry and soy sauce.

As a general rule, I would say 2 to 4 years is when Dark Lord tastes best. I dislike Dark Lord fresh. I had a bottle of 2008 Dark Lord last year the nite before FoBAB and it was the best Dark Lord that I have ever drank. Nothing from the 5 year Dark Lord vertical was even close to the 2008 bottle we drank that nite last year.

Cant give you much information on Behemoth.
  4. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (655) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

I like Dark Lord the best at about 3-4 years (08 is not as good as it once was, 09 is drinking great right now) based on personal experience over a lot of tastings and a full Dark Lord vertical we did earlier this year.

Behemoth is a little different in that I like it very fresh (within 6 months or so of bottling), then it seems to fall into a valley / dumb period for a couple of years, then starts tasting good again after about 3 years. This is based on a full vertical tasting and numerous other smaller samplings.

Cellar storage is obviously a huge variable, and many folks differ in their thoughts regarding aging potential for both beers in my own tasting group (and to a larger degree in the Chicagoland area).

As to your question about holding on to them too long, the only vintage of Dark Lord that I've never had good luck with aged is 2005. Had one way back in the day (07ish) that was great, but since then every bottle I've had has been mediocre to bad.

Cheers!
  5. I had an 07 last year at DL and it was fantastic so not sure if maybe the last few months haven't been kind to it or what, but that one I was storing was one of the better beers I've ever had (zero oxidation). That being said, it was also tremendous fresh (same with 08) which isn't the case with recent versions.

Overall, it seems to me that 07-09 were all very different/unique batches whereas 10-12 are more consistent with each other. Point here is that I don't think we can use those earlier batches to decide how the 10-12 will age because they are pretty much a different beer IMO.
  6. pest

pest Savant (375) Ohio Sep 2, 2007

I've had a bunch of DL over the years, I prefer it with ~2 years. Past that I've had mixed results.
    People say Behemouth lasts forever, but we opened a old [original] yellow wax over the summer and I thought it was past its prime.
  7. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Also did a five year vertical last week and I actually liked the '07 best, it had some oxidization but I thought it worked well with the beer. Everybody (six guys) thought the '09 was one of the worst, here was the general consensus in best to worst.

'08
    '07
    '10
    '12
    '11
    '09
  8. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Was luck enough to participate in a full Behemoth vertical and 06-12 DL vertical back in September to celebrate Wsnich getting married. My favorite vintages, in order, were:
    1. 2011 (has smoothed out nicely, and is surprisingly coffee-forward over one year later).
    2. 2008 (perfect balance of the flavors, thick and viscous without being too sweet)
    3. 2009 (reminded me of a dryly sweet red wine in its profile, mouthfeel and complexity).
    4. 2010 (surprisingly hoppy still, kinda like Nightstalker).
    5. 2006 (oxidized upfront, but pure, smooth fudge flavor in the finish).
    6. 2012 (no green apple, but almost cloyingly sweet and still rough around the edges -- too fresh. I have previously been told that Dark Lord is not meant to be opened before Thanksgiving and is bottled "green.").
    7. 2007 (way over the hill, totally oxidized, and very sludgey look).
    For behemoth, the two freshest vintages (12 and 11) were the best, followed closely by 05 and 07. The 08-10 may have been in an "awkward" phase, but was not the biggest fan of those

Also, I know Scott is going to kill me for posting this pic, but...
    [​IMG]
  9. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (605) Virginia May 28, 2010

our group did the 06-12 DL vertical a couple months ago and unanimously picked the 06 and 08 as best with about half of us picking the '10 as 3rd best.
    my personal rankings went: 08, 06, 10, 07, 11, 12, 09 (we think the 09 was a bad bottle//bad cellar conditions - picked unanimously worst)
  10. jglowe77

jglowe77 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Jan 24, 2011

Thank you so much for the information! I recently acquired a bottle of DL 12 and I was worried because I've read that its too sweet. I will age mine for several years, as I had been thinking about doing. Thanks again
  11. I had the 2007 late last year and it was pretty good. But I know what you mean. Four years is about right.
  12. vrbulldog22

vrbulldog22 Savant (410) Ohio Sep 5, 2010

we did a '07-'12 behemoth vert last weekend (along with '09-'12 dark lord plus bourbon '12, baller/murda'd plus everything that goes in them)... '09 behemoth was pretty much everyone's favorite bottle of the night. '09 was everyone's favorite DL, but a lot of people learned they don't really care for DL that night.
  13. xanok

xanok Savant (405) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

Thought this vintage was AMAZING fresh. Just my two cents.