1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dark Lord barrel-aged variants...

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Cenosillicaphobe, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (350) Maine Jul 24, 2011

...specifically the 2012 bourbon vanilla and cognac de muerte...my girl and I have never tasted these...yet we're intent on saving them for "something special"...so is there any point at which we might expect the benefits of waiting to become counterproductive? Obviously...there's no way to know how the specific vintage will fare...but in y'all's experience...what can we expect? We also have a BBA Behemoth...and a Murda'd Out Stout...the time just never seems perfect to crack one...long distance relationship...etc...thoughts?
  2. atone315

atone315 Advocate (640) Wisconsin Oct 8, 2008

[​IMG]

Hopefully you have seen the movie.
    jp7161 likes this.
  3. Ship em to me and I can tell you if they have gone too far.
  4. Drink beer as fresh as possible...before they suck! Do you really need a special reason to drink beer? After all its just beer! So drink it and tell us the answers to your questions. After all 90% of the law is possesion. You possess the beers that you want to know about, so just experience them yourself before its too late...
    OtisCampbell and bradcochran1234 like this.
  5. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

Being alive is a pretty special occasion.

That's what I tell myself anyway...
  6. Cenosillicaphobe

Maybe we'll crack one open on Valentine's Day...maybe...we never seem to get to 'em though...guess it'll be easier once I've moved...I've brought so much stuff out there and just never gotten to it...then we buy stuff out there too...cuz duh...guess I won't be hurting for brews on moving day lol.
  7. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

Chilies in the muerte may have already faded too much, but it was my favorite variant this year. The vanilla should be fine for at least a year before the vanilla becomes less forward.
  8. Cenosillicaphobe

Damn...well I'll either drink the Muerte with her or bring it home to share at the next tasting...I'm sure my peeps would dig a taste...and I don't think my girl is super interested in that one.
  9. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

I can tell you with 100% certainty that the chiles in the Cognac de Muerte haven't faded yet. Surprised the shit out of me back around NYE when it was still spicy as hell!
  10. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

On the contrary, we were discussing recently that Cognac Muerte has gotten even hotter.
  11. Cenosillicaphobe

Th
    This is encouraging...I do believe I'll be sharing it with my girl on Valentine's Day...then we'll open the vanilla on her birthday a the end of April...can't wait to taste these.
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  12. Thats always a good reason to drink a once in a lifetime beer like a BA Dark Lord. because you are alive and you can! I like your style bro!
  13. A good friend of mine opened his Congac de muerte the night before FoBAB and its was still very hot...probably the only time I have gotten heartburn from a beer! Those chilies are going strong if you ask me and just about everbody else who tried it...they will agree on this fact.