1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dark Lord Day 2012 Rule Changes

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Lansman, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warbird07

warbird07 Member

Ooops, I think that was me, sorry...we had a ring of coolers the size of a Pacific atoll(not really)..I could do without the coolers as long as trips back and forth to the cars are still allowed...
  2. phisigben

phisigben Member

Ok when you read my previous posts you might infer that I am still upset, in fact I'm not. Could have things been ran better, yes. Will I still go to DLD '12, yes. Will I try to go to any event in the future that FFF puts on, yes. I'm just stating my experience/expectation I had based on previous events that FFF held in the hope that with more experience things will be ran more smoothly in the future. I will love FFF till the day I die.
  3. Walden97

Walden97 Member

Yikes, reading this thread makes me hesitant to fly up there for this!
  4. sacullen

sacullen Member

If you guys were set up near the entrance, I was ready to pee on you just to get you to scatter. You made getting a cup of beer more difficult than it needed to be. The thing is, at DLD, you CAN go back to your car! We did it all day long. We would all get two beers from the taps and then drink in one of the business parking lots. When lines were long at the guest taps, we brought in bottles with us to drink while we were in line. I was sharing all day long. At one point, I was jumping into the bottle line to give friends some of the guest taps I had just bought. People are cool if you're not a dick. Setting up a camp feet from the entrance/exit is no different from assclowns who take one step off an escalator and stop to look around.
    KingBiscuit and Jips like this.
  5. Lansman

Lansman Member

Great replies and appreciate all the fantastic insight. As someone who lives in Chicago and frequents the brewery on a monthly basis, it's great to hear the diversity of opinions and observations to those who have been to all the FFF events and also frequent the brewery far more than I do.

So to sum up the feelings of the community:
    1) The lack of the ability to bring in chairs isn't that big a deal, it crowds up the parking lot too much, and people should just take the chairs back to their car once the line starts to move.
    2) Large coolers should be banned based on the huge space they take up. Medium coolers maybe, but in any event, just bring an insulated backpack or something similar and things will be fine.
    3) It is apparent that just about everyone hopes that bottle allocation for DLD 12 is run the same as 2011.
    4) Selling tickets at the brewery itself would be a big plus to thank the locals and frequent visitors of FFF, but it seems like that is not likely to happen.
    5) Community is split a little with regard to trading - some think you should do it in line (IMO, this is a bit difficult logistically unless you are literally walking the line and calling out what you have to trade if you want to deal with people who are not in your immediate vicinity), while others think that a small backpack with bottles to trade is more than enough for the day.
    6) It is what it is and while it may not be how it was in the past, there are good reasons for why the changes were made, and without a doubt, everyone just wants the event to run smoothly.
    7) You need to get there at 8 PM on April 27 this year to secure your spot inside the parking lot. :p

Thanks again everyone.
  6. warbird07

warbird07 Member

Whew, not us...we were more towards the middle...I made 3-4 trips to my car last year. I just hope they still allow it...for the record we started out as 3, but the ring kind of grew out of control...cheers
  7. aasher

aasher Member

I know beer isn't the end all be all but I treated it like I would have treated a concert. Tickets were $35 each after shipping so I didn't risk it. I requested the day off well in advance and cleared my schedule accordingly.
    Lukafer and TapeDeck like this.
  8. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

I knew instantly when it was announced that the -bals were "first come, first served" that there was a very high likelihood of chaos if not there early enough to be towards the front. My group arrived early (were in line up by the port-o-lets....when we arrived were 27th in line (yes I counted) but were at least 100th by the time the gates were opened, but that is another story altogether). I couldn't agree more that those arriving too late got the shaft, seemed an odd way to do things..... I think one of the biggest hang ups for the speed was the slowness of people picking which -bal they wanted. Once Baller was purchased you had to wait again for the -bal tables to clear, and even though we were fairly far up front we got delayed at least 5 minutes between time we got Baller and to the -bal tables, I can only imagine that got worse as the day went on. They way FFF is set up I am not sure there would have been a better way to do that, especially with the set up for the bands, etc. One improvement I think FFF could make to future events is have a separate entry/line for people who just want to get their allotment and GO, not hang out and such after they get their beers. Regardless I will continue to attend all events they have as it is always a blast, even if the majority of time is spent waiting in line and sharing beers with friends old and new.
  9. jale

jale Member

Not to offend anyone but, those of you that wear backpacks that contain enough stuff to equal another person need to be respectful of others. At the XV event there was limited space and people wearing huge backpacks added to the congestion. A backpack limits the space to walk by people. Its an 8 hour event, leave the damn backpacks in your car. There is nothing so important that people need a 50 pound backpack for. Sorry if I piss someone off, but wake up!
  10. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Member

I almost CERTAINLY shared a few brews with you. The line was by far the best part of the day.
  11. Dcv

Dcv Member

I skipped last years Dark Lord day, and I think I am going to also skip this years Dark Lord day. I have never been to the Short's brew pub, and the anniversary party sounds like a good first time to go.
  12. stevefinny

stevefinny Member

I hope the website doesn't crash when i buy tickets
  13. LusciousJackson

LusciousJackson Member

If I give you a pour from whatever growler is in that backpack, would that make it up to you? :)
    woodchopper and robwestcott like this.
  14. jale

jale Member

Well maybe.
  15. robwestcott

robwestcott Member

i cant go this year - but if i could, i'd not only be wearing a backpack, i'd be encouraging everyone else to wear one also. i dont care if its congested. i'm not going to DLD to be comfortable, or to eat reasonably priced gourmet food. i'm going (or i would be going) to drink great beer from random people's backpacks whom i dont know but who are willing to pour me a taster of rum barrel hunahpu's, or kate, or 07 dark lord, or IST, or rare... you get the idea.

oh yeah, and i'd get to bring some DL home too.
    TapeDeck likes this.
  16. Roeters

Roeters Member

I just like being able to bring a wheel dolly after having a few beers and buying a few cases it is too much to carry them back to the car
  17. MasterSki

MasterSki BA Site Editor Staff Member

I've actually started counting my position in line when I arrive at events such as these. I take that number, add 10% for people ahead of me who may be in restrooms, grabbing something from the car, etc. and then write it down. Approximately 5 minutes before the start of the event I count off that many heads and re-enter the line at the exact same position.
  18. fvernon

fvernon Member

hey rob, good chance i'm heading up... if you get yourself a ticket i'll bring the goods back here for ya
    robwestcott likes this.
  19. dvelcich

dvelcich Member

This was the ONLY thing done better at XV imo.
  20. raymo55

raymo55 Member

I made a comment on FFFs facebook page about the reason behind how they have some much hype surrounding their beer is because of the beek geeks and the name on the bottle...and not because of the quality of the beer (sacasticlly) ....and I was blocked from their FB page! HAHA

But I totally agree.....a brewpub doesn't become bigtime without their locals support!!
  21. PlinytheFarter

PlinytheFarter Member

If you can't plan to make it early perhaps you shouldn't plan to go? Leave the ticket for someone who can and would have had a better time...
  22. ObeMaltKinobee

ObeMaltKinobee Member

I'm going to find you and just follow.
    MasterSki likes this.
  23. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Member

I was at the brewpub once and this dude complained about Three Floyds and how they run their events, and out of nowhere a screeching guitar sound filled the room and a giant eagle with a viking riding it came down and took the guy into a black vortex. While it was frightening, I must admit it was metal as f***.
    Steimie, backfat, TMoney2591 and 3 others like this.
  24. BrewmasterNate

BrewmasterNate Member

I seem to fall in between both sides of this. I've attended Dark Lord Days and the XV Party and the 2011 DLD was by far the best run of the lot (Groupings for bottles was huge plus). The one common theme I see for those who had fun @ the XV Party was "well we planned ahead", "we got there early", "we made sure we'd get in right away", "you should have arrived sooner". The fact that none of these supporters seem to understand is that if EVERYONE got there earlier, the same amount of people would not have gotten in until several hours in to the event. The problem was not that people didn't arrive earlier, it is that they couldn't accomodate the crowd with the way they decided to run this specific event. If 500 people showed up earlier than many of you, let me guarantee you, you would not have had a good time either. Is this going to get to a point where people need to start showing up at 3am? The fact of the matter is, a large majority were unable to enjoy the event and if everyone showed up earlier, this would not help anyone as a same percentage of the group would not have enjoyed the party. The only thing they should use from XV is the no coolers/chairs as I agree the congestion it caused is not worth the convenience.
  25. MasterSki

The line-cutters certainly aren't going to call me out, and on the rare occasion an original line member does say something I just explain what I'm doing and encourage him or her to do likewise. Just because you're getting bent over a table by line-cutters doesn't mean I'm going to sit there and take it too...
  26. nozferatu46

nozferatu46 Member

I skipped last years, and will skip this years. Its gotten too big, and last time I went I got my beer and left. Just isn't fun (for me) anymore. Rather than complain that it isn't like the past years where I could do just about anything, and still walk around... I just don't go.
    AlexHouston likes this.
  27. Rempo

Rempo Member

Coolers allowed outside the fenced area? Thinking of just hanging out outside the grounds and trading for a bottle from someone willing to stand in line.
    biglobo8971 likes this.
  28. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Member

Whether or not they allow coolers outside the fence, there will be coolers, chairs, and grills. Some people will get there and line up before most of the staff does. Just don't whimper when they tell you that you can't bring it in.
  29. bpgpitt10

bpgpitt10 Member

I get your logic here... but there is zero chance I would let this fly if you jumped directly in front of me.

Say something to the people jumping in the line instead of taking the approach of finding a solution that provides "fairness" to only you. And just so we are clear here... if everyone took your approach, their would be a freaking riot at the brewery so that's not realistic to go around telling everyone to do this just because you are.
    elephantrider likes this.
  30. MasterSki

You think it's realistic for me to police the entire line in front of me? If I'm 100th in line when I first arrive I certainly can't keep track of all the line-cutting that is happening all the way up at the front. Why should I get fucked over because people 70 spots in front of me are too lazy/passive to speak up? I'm only able to practically monitor my immediate surroundings.

If you (and everyone else out there) do your part and prevent the line-cutting going on in front of you, then I won't be forced to re-assert my original spot in the queue. If you are a) a line-cutter, or b) enable line-cutters then I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to impose my own 'fair' solution - I don't have much other recourse do I?

Actually - a riot is a good outcome. It would probably force the brewery to institute a policy that actually makes sense and doesn't rely on drunk assholes to self-organize.
    beertunes and Mandark like this.
  31. AgentZero

AgentZero Member

I don't think they said anything about banning cattle prods. My spot in line will be safe.
    beertunes likes this.
  32. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

Line-cutting is my biggest gripe about release events, seems worse at FFF than anywhere but maybe that is just my perception. Anyone who was in the first 30 or so in line at XV cannot deny how "wide" the line inevitably got. I was able to keep pretty good track of the group directly in front of us, but as far as how to "police" the groups further up ahead I am clueless. Normally I just kind of let it go....but when at XV it was specifically stated that the -bals were "first come, first serve" then I think it is complete bullshit to let your buddies show up an hour before the event and just "hang out" with you and then just by chance the gates open and oops! oh well guess we are all going in. Sure it can be blamed on FFF for not having a better line control process but really the responsible parties are the people who full-fucking well know they are dicking the people behind them without remorse. I am sure it won't stop until there IS a riot.
    AgentZero and MasterSki like this.
  33. antoines15

antoines15 Member

I am now expecting a riot at the KBS release Saturday. With the way releases have been going lately, I'm sure it will be a shit-show.
  34. elephantrider

elephantrider Member

Ya wanna stop it from being a shit show? Get everyone around you in line in agreement to not allow line cutting and call out anyone who tries to. It is possible to police ourselves but people need to grow a pair and do something about it. I will call anyone out that I see cutting there. I am getting there too damn early to have some jackwagon show up hours after me and just waltz into line.
    beertunes likes this.
  35. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 Member

that or carry a big BA with you.
    Urbancaver and MarkIntihar like this.
  36. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

I will say I HOPE it is not fellow BAs allowing all the cutting....in my head it makes me happier to assume they aren't. I am sure that is a bit naive and all, but still. Forewarning for all those who may be in front of me at DLD this year and considering it....I will bring a taser.

Don't make me tase you, bro.
    beertunes likes this.
  37. antoines15

antoines15 Member

I will be in line early with about 6 other large gentlemen so calling people out won't be a problem for our group, but it still happens every year.
    MasterSki likes this.
  38. ObeMaltKinobee

ObeMaltKinobee Member

I totally agree it is a great idea. Lets bust some skulls to set an example. That is if you are willing to do the skullbusting. I'm a smaller guy and would surely get my my skull busted. But seriously lets do this.
  39. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

I have no problem resorting to violence to uphold common decency. Just saddens me it is even needed.
  40. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Member

Willing to contract out my services for a reasonable fee...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.