1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dark Lord Day 2012 Rule Changes

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Lansman, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. backfat

backfat Member

[​IMG]
    Levitation likes this.
  2. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Member

Word. All I remember from DLD 2010 was that I had a great time hanging out and drinking with friends, and getting to try so many new beers. Weird.
  3. backfat

backfat Member

yeah, I never have had a bad time. 2010 was one of my favorite years. I even had a blast @ the anniversary party!!?! :eek: all the waiting in line, animosity towards others, and other shit that is happening around me gets muffled out when I'm shooting the shit with my friends about beer all while drinking great beer. I come for the party, I stay for the beer. Honestly, I wouldn't care if DLD was just a huge tasting once a year and there was no Dark Lord. It's obviously a plus, but that shiz makes people cray bro....cray
    Alpar, quilty and MarkIntihar like this.
  4. Rempo

Rempo Member

It's debatable that DLD 2010 truly had a 'line' once you got close to the brewery. There were certainly two (!) lines which led into a mosh pit though.
  5. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

I was in the correct line (well the one actually moving) in 2010, but if I remember right wasn't the problem that a group of people in the other line just set up shop and were grilling out/tasting, etc. up nearer the brewpub and everyone lined up behind them thinking they were IN line when they weren't? (Not saying anything about cutting, just seeing if anyone knows if that was in fact the problem)
  6. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Member

Now there's an idea that eliminates the line cutting. Eliminate the line. Mosh pit instead.
  7. backfat

backfat Member

eh, no one knows. The major problem was just simple event organization, which was taken care of the next year. hope you had a good time! we were the guys driving around on the electric cooler/car, cheers! :D
  8. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Member

I most certainly remember you then, in fact I need to dig them out but I have photos of the event and you guys managed to appear in several of them. I also somewhere have video of the guy dropping the DL and some other guy getting on the ground and licking it up. New idea for FFF : DL aged on asphalt. They would probably sell it out instantly.
    backfat likes this.
  9. antoines15

antoines15 Member

I believe in 2010 they lowered the limit for awhile to 3, then upped it back to 4 later on, and still had open sales afterward. I could be drunk though. It was a mess. Still had fun and still went last year.
  10. MUMike

MUMike Member

Hoping to make my first trip this year, assuming I get tickets. It will be a much needed break for me.
  11. LAanne

LAanne Member

12. kiwifuz

kiwifuz Member

Info's up. Sales are at noon on 3/17. Should be fun!
  13. CWBlues

CWBlues Member

I'm expecting the ISO: Dark Lord '12 (pre) posts to start showing up pretty soon too...
  14. Treebs

Treebs Member

Right during the opening of Stoutfest.....wonderful........
  15. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Member

Well I WAS thinking about going to Kuhnhenn's St. Patty's Day party, but now it looks like I'll be hounding my computer that afternoon...
    Kgristoff likes this.
  16. Monsone

Monsone Member

2010's line had 2 tickets lines that came together right at the same spot that the porta-potty lines and guest draft lines were. So in effect once you got into the parking lot everything went to shit. You could effectively just walk up to the front and walk in because no one knew which line they were in (piss, beer or bottles).

And yes, less than pleased that tickets go on sale right at the open of Stout Fest. I guess I shouldn't complain cause I did actually get tickets to Stout Fest.
  17. bpgpitt10

bpgpitt10 Member

What a pain to do the ticket sales on St. Patty's day.
  18. Labonix

Labonix Member

They sold tickets on St. Patty day before. And its at the start of GI stout fest. They need to go back to releasing them real early like 4am on a sat. That might also help keep some of the ebayers away.
  19. Corbet

Corbet Member

This is my first DLD so I have a couple questions pertaining to ordering tickets:

-Is there any way to register for their order site early? I'm not seeing any sort of login/register area and I want to make sure my info is ready to go.

-How fast did they sell out last year?
  20. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Member

1) No.
    2) Minutes. Maybe seconds.
  21. bierenutz

bierenutz Member

Mark, borrow a laptop and see you at Kuhnhenns!
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  22. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Member

Not at the XV. For that it was a wait plus a lack of availability of first come first serve beers.
  23. Lansman

Lansman Member

Also not pleased about the tickets going on sale at the start of Stout Fest, but last year the tickets went on sale at 1 PM, so 12 PM is certainly a little better than that.
  24. travMI13

travMI13 Member

Looks like I'll be coming home from Kuhnhenn early that day. That's actually probably for the best.
  25. Lansman

Lansman Member

Just announced that there will be three groups (A, B, C), just like last year.

Could not agree more with this method of splitting up the allocation.

Cheers to FFF for sticking with what works.
  26. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Member

Has it occured to you that they don't want 10,000 people clogging up their property? They'll sell it all either way, and if the lack of bottle sharing is enough to deter someone then maybe they're on to something.
    Vav likes this.
  27. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Member

My mistake, I guess I was thrown off by FFF selling tickets.

You can't "clog up their property" unless you buy a ticket that they willingly make available to the entire world via the internet.

They're not even selling tickets at the brewpub to locals. So essentially FFF is encouraging that many people from around the country.
  28. dangle

dangle Member

Right over your head.
  29. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Member

I doubt it.
    rogueleonardi likes this.
  30. Ohsaycanyoubeer

Ohsaycanyoubeer Member

If they didn't want 10k people then they would only sell tickets at the brewpub or not sell tickets at all (See Hunahpu)

Selling them online means:

They want people from across the country to attend
    They want the hype to remain as high as possible
    They want tickets being sold on the secondary market
  31. KzooBeerBrian

KzooBeerBrian Member

In a sense yes they should help locals out a bit however, the guy that put aside the extra money for a how-ever-many-hour drive to and from FFF deserves that beer the same if not more than someone that can mosey on down the street for it at leisure.
  32. EliteDigger

EliteDigger Member

Just curious...I see the bottle limit is per person this year and not per ticket. Yet you can buy 2 tickets per person... I'm wondering why, besides the extra pour of DL and the warm fuzzy feeling of adding more to charity, I would want to buy more than one ticket if it won't get me any more bottles?
    Yes, I understand getting 2 tickets if you're getting one for someone else. But let's say you're coming alone...all another ticket gets you is another pour of Dark Lord, not extra bottles. Certainly not worth an additional $15.

Edit: Ok, so I went back and re-read and see I was reading last years info (I couldn't get tickets last year). So was the bottle limit per person last year? I thought I saw somewhere in this thread that it was 4 bottles per ticket last year...yet it says it was per person on DLD.com.
    Forgive me...massive amounts of cold medicine...I'm a little fuzzy...
  33. Lansman

Lansman Member

Not sure it matters if it is classified as 'per ticket' or 'per person' as it would be difficult logistically for FFF to track each and every person coming through the line trying to get their allocation. Certainly there will be people (as happened last year) who go through the line, get their allocation, go out to their car, put the bottles away, and then get back in line in accordance with their other ticket (be it in the same Group, or at a later time with another Group - i.e., buy a ticket for Group A and Group B or C, get allocation with both Groups). Since getting Dark Lord in as many hands as possible is the goal of the event, this practice is likely frowned upon, but I'm not sure to what extent FFF will be policing the line to ensure each person gets only their allocation, and not a bottle more.
  34. Bluecane

Bluecane Member

Late-to-the-game FYP.
  35. SpottedZombie

SpottedZombie Member

Just buy as many tickets as you want, and then bring friends who appreciate beer, yet know nothing about DL. Have them stand in line with you, enjoy various brews while in line, talk about sports, what have you. Give each of your friends a ticket, along with $60. Multiple tickets are no longer an issue.
  36. DrWalterWhite

DrWalterWhite Member

37. backfat

backfat Member

38. Rempo

Rempo Member

Calendar site -> More Information -> Ticket Info
  39. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Member

It's better than the other problems associated with these types of releases. Plus, the odds of landing as many tickets as you want are not good... they're not good even if "all the tickets you want = 1"
  40. rogueleonardi

rogueleonardi Member

Don't you mean ten fidy?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.