1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Dark Lord Day 2013 (new site/info)

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Cenosillicaphobe, Mar 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (820) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Ignorant dumbass noob question. Where are the bands playing in relationship to everything else? I have some death metal friends who would go just to see the bands. If you're ticketless is that an option?
  2. otrejo

otrejo Savant (270) Illinois Mar 8, 2011

Not an option, you need tickets to get in the gates.
  3. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

You can hear the bands from outside the gates, but the overall hum of the 6K people there inside significantly detract from your ability to hear the bands clearly. Once you are inside the brewery close to where the stage is, the noise being created onstage is ear-piercingly loud, which is very metal.
    biglobo8971 likes this.
  4. fredmugs

I know that. How far away are the bands from the gate? I'm assuming it's going to loud as fuck but at the same time not loud as fuck near the brewery. Again - total noob with no clue of how the place is laid out.
  5. otrejo

Bands play indoors, inside the brewery facility, so it's not that loud from the outside.
    aasher likes this.
  6. wsnich

wsnich Savant (410) Texas Apr 26, 2010

[​IMG]
  7. GBuzzard

GBuzzard Zealot (90) Illinois Mar 17, 2013

I would probably draw real blood from shitting a brick so hard.
  8. fredmugs

My dumbass was thinking the bands would be outside. I need a beer.
  9. Does anyone have any leads on busses traveling from Chicago to DLD and back that my buddy and I can get in on? I think I missed the boat on getting tickets for the ones from the Craft Beer Temple.

I have seen in the past the one that Reggies runs and looks like a good time, but I am sort of worried about getting back to Chicago at the end of the night if a ton of people are trying to get on it (We have E tickets). Anyone have any experiences with that?

Thanks!
    (Sorry if this was already discussed and I missed it somewhere within the 39 pages in this thread.)
  10. this just about sums it up. add an arrow pointing to where bottle pick up is and we're set - thread over. don't get me wrong, it's a pretty well run cf, but a cf nonetheless.
  11. ravot

ravot Savant (435) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

that's actually live footage of the fire. so technically, a cluster fuck.
    BRZvice, auto_exec and beerhan like this.
  12. otrejo

13. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (465) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

If you look closely....you can see me in line already.
  14. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

No, that's you peeing on the wall!
  15. CLCardinal84

CLCardinal84 Savant (295) Illinois Jan 29, 2012

This is my first year staying at the Hampton down the street and have a few questions regarding popular opinion of those staying or who have stayed there in years past.

1) Do most people walk their bottles back to the hotel then come back to the brewery?
    2) Do most people drive their cars from the hotel, park, the put the bottles in their cars and leave their cars at FFF overnight and get them Sunday morning? (not sure if you can leave a car overnight outside)

I had a ride to and from Chicago last year, so I carried my box of bottles around all day without breaking them, but I certainly don't want to hassle with that crap this year.

Any advice would be appreciated.
  16. I also went to/from Chicago last year, but my advice would be to bring your bottles back somewhere safe, e.g. your hotel. Walking around with them will only lead to theft (heard a lot of people lost bottles last year) or breakage (there are plenty of photos to support this).

If it were me, I'd probably run them back to my room, then head back to DLD and enjoy the festivities with no worries.
  17. sbxx

sbxx Savant (465) Illinois Mar 21, 2011

It's a 1.5 mile/30 minute walk, each way.
  18. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

For those walking their haul back, you can shorten your walk a bit if you take the parking lot shuttle to the entrance of the office park.
  19. The hour break might be just what a person needs for sobering up and heading back for a strong round 2! ;)
    BRZvice likes this.
  20. incubuscience

incubuscience Savant (415) Illinois Jul 26, 2012

Finally, definitive proof that Three Floyds is actually burning down.
    Msmith8814 likes this.
  21. Mjmoser

Did you just earn your orange safety vest?

You stated your case, no need to beat it to death. People are going to do what they want and it should have no impact on you. I feel you are taking this personally. I am debating going early as fuck, and my criteria for doing it or not have nothing to do with getting arrested.

Lets talk about when we get details around bottle count and prices! Some real speculation!
  22. fh301

fh301 Aficionado (100) Illinois Sep 18, 2011

I found him!
    [​IMG]
    MaxSpang, woodchopper, ravot and 2 others like this.
  23. Mjmoser

Thanks him! Raymo!!!!
  24. jeffdill

jeffdill Aficionado (145) Ohio Apr 26, 2012

Haha that's my plan...no way I'm making it all day without a break!
  25. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (465) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

And all those piss stains are mine as well....was a rough bottle share the night before.
    Mjmoser and MarkIntihar like this.
  26. ravot

the whole stain?
    raymo55 likes this.
  27. ravot

damn, same time. my joke now sucks.
  28. BUNZILLA

BUNZILLA Advocate (645) Indiana Jan 14, 2011

Someone in this thread is killing my buzz .... #noonelikesabuzzkill
    woodchopper and BRZvice like this.
  29. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

Pissing on someone's business is pretty classless...find a bush or something.
  30. I totally diagree. Every year I go I am amazed at how great the police are at DLD. Very positive and keep order, while allowing people to have a good time. As long as you're not a jackass, you will be fine.
  31. Cenosillicaphobe

Seriously...they put up with infinitely more than they really should.

My inhuman tolerance to alcohol allows me to enjoy the festivities and sit in judgement of the acres of amateur hour.
    biglobo8971 likes this.
  32. DavidB123

DavidB123 Aspirant (30) New Jersey Oct 12, 2012

Does anything go on outside the gates? like is it a big tail gate party for those who didnt get tickets?
  33. Cenosillicaphobe

Exactly...and I'm bottle sharing like a mofo...bought a Winecheck just to bring many brews...and I don't even have a ticket.
  34. incubuscience

incubuscience Savant (415) Illinois Jul 26, 2012

From about 7am til about noon, yes. The line is a huge bottle share. But once everyone gets in, it's much less the scene than inside.
  35. For people getting a ride there and back from a friend are backpacks allowed inside the gates to store your bottles in?
  36. ravot

yes. just not the brewpub. anywhere outside, you're solid.
  37. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I will. I'll make sure to note how many 5% lambic we get 3oz pours of while drinking all of our rinse water. It's not our first rodeo.
    myersk27, ncaudle, zrab11 and 8 others like this.
  38. otrejo

For all those camping at 3 Floyds, beware the Wendigo.
    ADTaber and Msmith8814 like this.
  39. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

ITT: BreakingBrohamid attempts to 2nd grade tattle to FFF on "campers" at DLD because he can't get there early enough to do the same.

I can imagine the prose of said email, "Niiiicckkk, people said they were going to line up at 3 AM and I can't so they shouldn't be able to eiiitthhherrrrrr."

Find me at DLD my man. I'll pour you some sours.
  40. I'm the past, they haven't had porta potties available until the employees show up around 8 or 9 a.m. It sucks because there are 45 porta potties on the opposite side of the fence and people lined up for hours ahead of time.

Anyway can we just start ignoring this guy, please? It doesn't matter what you say to him I think he's just copy/pasting his response. An automated hall-monitor-on-a-power-trip bot.
    BRZvice, ravot, raymo55 and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.