1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dark Lord Day 2013 (new site/info)

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Cenosillicaphobe, Mar 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auracom

Auracom Member

Thanks for the info, I should've asked earlier.
  2. StoutFest

StoutFest Member

I was told Bourbon (No, not Pappy), Bourbon Vanilla, Port, and Red Wine. They will not officially announce them until the day of.
    myersk27, pschul4, cfh64 and 3 others like this.
  3. BUNZILLA

BUNZILLA Member

Save some port and red wine variants for the rest of us ...
    raymo55 and aasher like this.
  4. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Member

Port is a red wine....... Wonder IF these are the variants that we'll actually find out what the other 'red wine' barrel is. Otherwise we're looking at 3 variants ;) That or FFF marketing is genius ;);)
  5. weatherdog

weatherdog Member

Dismissing Port as the same thing as red wine is really misrepresenting it. Port is a fortified wine, which is also generally aged for many years sometimes decades longer in the barrel than a red wine. They have a such different flavor profile no one who is familiar with both would categorize them as the same.
    TheBeerDad, MC6, Gonzoillini and 8 others like this.
  6. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Member

Port is fortified with alcohol (Often referred to as brandy) to stop fermentation. I agree, DEF different than a "normal" red wine....
  7. chriltz

chriltz Member

Looking like this is shaping up to be a fun Dark Lord Day for me. Having a molar extracted next friday afternoon, so i may be on painkillers next saturday.
  8. GBallHead

GBallHead Member

Painkillers for trade ISO beer
    leftyhyzer, CityofBals and beerhan like this.
  9. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Member

Guess my winking faces weren't enough to convey my sarcasm. ;)
    I'm well aware of what a port is. Port:Red Wine::Square:Rectangle ;)
    why so serious ;):D;) Guess I'll keep my smartass comments to myself.
  10. weatherdog

weatherdog Member

All I see with those winky faces is Taco trying to have sex with me.

I was mostly just clarifying the differences since I'm sure many people do not know the differences between port and regular red wine.
  11. jakeox

jakeox Member

Newbie question: I understand that there are no backpacks allowed in the brewpub -- does this apply to the DL purchase line as well?
  12. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Member

does not apply. backpacks are allowed inside the gates, anywhere except the brewpub. bottle sales are in the actual brewery. backpacks are acceptable there.
    charlesjwinkler and jakeox like this.
  13. mjohnson17

mjohnson17 Member

well before he was holding an Iris it was a bottle of 3 penis wine.....so.......;)
    MarkIntihar, weatherdog and GBuzzard like this.
  14. Gritch

Gritch Member

You will have fun. Just watch your drinking. At midnight before DLD of 2010 I passed a stone, and was heavily medicated throughout the day. Remember to eat, and you will be fine.
  15. RayOhioFelton

RayOhioFelton Member

Any insight on the following....

Driving in from Ohio and getting to Munster around 5-5:30pm local time. Should I drive to the brewery and park or go to my hotel 6 miles away and get a cab? Thinking I could arrange the cab once I'm close enough to know what time I'll be there....

Thanks all...first time going to Darklord and looking forward to it!
  16. JimGlonke

JimGlonke Member

Tickets (Group D) arrived today via USPS 1st Class! Very comforting to have in-hand...
  17. cfh64

cfh64 Member

I remember reading one post where someone said they left their car parked overnight and it was fine. Other than that one post, does anyone have any idea if it is ok to leave a car parked overnight and if so, where? I'll be staying close but figured the car would come in handy for keeping my beers, food, water, etc.
  18. jrman1386

jrman1386 Member

I've heard whispers that the variants will be 1) bourbon 2) port 3) double barrel 4) bourbon vanilla
  19. Savearth

Savearth Member

Note to self: Find this guy; he'll be the one wearing the Vicodin necklace! Good times for sure...if he shares!
    yock, redblacks75 and myersk27 like this.
  20. jeffdill

jeffdill Member

I was the one post, I left my car in the park overnight with no issues. Maybe the park has a number you can call to ask?
    cfh64 likes this.
  21. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Member

You won't be able to get a cab almost definitely. If you're worried about drunk driving then hopefully there's a shuttle. Arriving so late though means there will be plenty of parking in the area so that wouldn't be a problem.
  22. homebrew311

homebrew311 Member

I
    I disagree with your stance on pretzel necklaces. At beer fests, hands are a premium since there are really no places to set stuff down and there is always one hand occupied by a beer. Pretzel necklaces are more convenient than to go bags. If you don't like them, it's simple... Don't wear one, but I don't think your dislike for them should institute a no pretzel necklace rule. And if you get crumbs all over your shirt and can't brush them off, you're doing it wrong.
  23. cfh64

cfh64 Member

I would never be caught dead wearing a pretzel necklace but I like you argument and think it has some valid points. I think Nathan is still intimidated by my kielbasa necklace response or possibly too excited thinking about it to respond.
    MarkIntihar and ridglens like this.
  24. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 Member

my painkillers will beat your painkillers, I betcha.
    Gonzoillini and GBallHead like this.
  25. jeffdill

jeffdill Member

This guy is my BOY. Preztel necklaces are the bees knees at beer fests. At Dark Lord Day though...maybe not.
  26. RayOhioFelton

RayOhioFelton Member

I was thinking a few people will have dispersed by the time I get there...but you are saying no cabs? Might check fo shuttles from the hotel...
  27. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Member

I've never tried to get a cab myself at DLD, but from what I am told the availability on cabs in that area is already very low, and lots of people will already be trying to set up rides.
  28. Flabbyjandro

Flabbyjandro Member

Forecast for Saturday shows high of 66 and sunny....god help us all cause shits gonna get real
    dman5400, CMB2012, MichPaul and 5 others like this.
  29. BertSugar

BertSugar Member

Again, don't center any plans around getting into the pub.
    funhog likes this.
  30. MarriedAtGI

MarriedAtGI Member

Friend and I are attending for the first time this year, and thinking to put our bikes on his rack, and ride from wherever we can park to DLD. Any advice or concerns about biking to the festival? Will we be able to lock up the bikes close by? (Apologies if this has already been covered in the past. My search turned up nothing.)
  31. ridglens

ridglens Member

mmmmmm, keilbasa.....
    I have never been intimidated by sausage, sir. regardless of size or proximity to my/your face. I would say, though, that some horseradish mustard might be a nice touch...
    cfh64 likes this.
  32. ridglens

ridglens Member

NO NO NO NO NO!!!! No pretzel necklaces!!!!

well, ok, actually you do make some fair points, though i think you are selling yourself and your DLD experience short by only committing one of your hands to holding beer. If god wanted you to drink one beer at a time, he wouldn;t have given you two hands, duh.

Someone has to be wearing one, it's on DLD Bingo (you should all play!: http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...o-formerly-scavenger-hunt.82436/#post-1193181). i do think it should have a shrunken head, though...

Ok, pretzel necklaces are fine, but only if you really like them.... what's the next completely arbitrary item we can argue about, preferably something that we can email FFF about and ask what they would prefer ;)
    M1A2, MarkIntihar and myersk27 like this.
  33. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Member

Do not count on cabs on the way home. Trust me. Unless you set up an out-of-town cab prior to the event (and I don't mean calling a place and setting up a pick up time, I mean actually having a relationship with a driver), you will have very little (like zero) chance of getting one.
    myersk27 likes this.
  34. jeffdill

jeffdill Member

The Munster locals should just shuttle people around to hotels for a few bucks a pop
    cfh64, aasher and a_beckman25 like this.
  35. MNPikey

MNPikey Member

When will they announce the allotment and price per bottle?
  36. jeffdill

jeffdill Member

Probably morning of.
  37. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Member

Perfect response!

I didn't buy any, don't worry everyone.
    pschul4 likes this.
  38. EdwardFortyHands

EdwardFortyHands Member

He wouldn't even know Amontillado from sherry!
  39. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Member

Got my tickets today!
    Headed to park this evening to camp out!
  40. ravot

ravot Member

how about that weather this weekend.
    pmoney likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.